PDA

View Full Version : HTC's new 8X Windows Phones look slick!

Technarchy
Sep 19, 2012, 10:41 AM
HTC has finally unveiled their new Windows Phone models and they look slick.

First thing worth mentioning is they did not make a platter phone. The 4.3" screen is very manageable. No yucky AMOLED screen, and a profile that is much slimmer than the Lumia 920.

Well done HTC

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1395859/htc8xpress.png

4.3-inch 1280 x 720
Super LCD 2 display
Gorilla Glass 2 coating
Dual-core 1.5GHz Snapdragon S4 processor
1GB RAM
16GB of internal storage
WiFi a/b/g/n, NFC and an integrated
1,800mAh Li-ion battery
Quadband radio support for GSM/GPRS/EDGE, HSPA/WCDMA (850, 900, 1900, 2100MHz) and, of course, LTE for stateside carriers.

flopticalcube
Sep 19, 2012, 10:43 AM
Link? Broken image?

sneaky butcher
Sep 19, 2012, 10:46 AM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2012/09/wp8x-lede-crop-copy.jpg

looks alot like the nokia lumias. is the colour body/border an ms request? or did they just copy nokia?

bigjnyc
Sep 19, 2012, 10:47 AM
uh-oh...... Samsung vs. Apple part 2..... Nokia vs. HTC

Technarchy
Sep 19, 2012, 10:48 AM
Link? Broken image?

It's fixed. thx

Hands on video by The Verge: http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/19/3356954/windows-phone-8x-by-htc-hands-on-video

3bs
Sep 19, 2012, 10:48 AM
Image (http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2012/09/wp8x-lede-crop-copy.jpg)

looks alot like the nokia lumias. is the colour body/border an ms request? or did they just copy nokia?

I thought the same thing :p

flopticalcube
Sep 19, 2012, 10:51 AM
They do look nice. I'm liking WP8 phones more and more. Too bad I only use phones for phone calls. I'll stick to my Nokia 5200 and the $5/month I pay for the calls for now. I hope they come out with more low priced units in both WP8 and Android to cater for us low usage folks.

snow blind
Sep 19, 2012, 11:01 AM
I'm thinking this color theme is a MS request. That said, I love both devices... i like the thinness of HTCs.. and Nokia's camera and wireless charging.

Prototypical
Sep 19, 2012, 11:14 AM

Bright, bold colors is kind of Windows Phone's "thing." Android has the futuristic, robot-ish thing going, and Apple is big on minimal, industrial design. Makes sense for WP phones to differentiate themselves while staying true to the design-language-formerly-known-as-Metro feel.

Rogifan
Sep 19, 2012, 12:26 PM
Bright, bold colors is kind of Windows Phone's "thing." Android has the futuristic, robot-ish thing going, and Apple is big on minimal, industrial design. Makes sense for WP phones to differentiate themselves while staying true to the design-language-formerly-known-as-Metro feel.
These look an awful lot like the Lumia's. Do you know if Microsoft supplies reference designs to the OEM's?

ucfgrad93
Sep 19, 2012, 12:38 PM
looks alot like the nokia lumias.

My thought as well. I don't like it or the Nokias.

MACis122
Sep 19, 2012, 12:52 PM
I'm thinking this color theme is a MS request. That said, I love both devices... i like the thinness of HTCs.. and Nokia's camera and wireless charging.

The samsung ativ doesn't have that color scheme and looks like a futuristic phone so IDK

MacRumorUser
Sep 19, 2012, 12:58 PM
Image (http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2012/09/wp8x-lede-crop-copy.jpg)

Yeah I'm now wondering if alongside standardised specifications, microsoft are asking manufacturers for standardised aesthetics.

It looks lovely, but why would I choose this over a Lumia 920 ??? other than Beats Audio v Orgasm Cam (pureview).....

wrkactjob
Sep 19, 2012, 01:24 PM
Anyone know when these W8 phones will actually be demonstrated?....do we actually have to wait for W8 to be announced by Windows before the phones can actually be used and reviewed?

Sedrick
Sep 19, 2012, 02:09 PM
Man, I'm really liking these new W8 Phones. I really think polycarbonate is the way to go with a hand held device. Smooth, roundish, feels great in the hand and pocket and wont show scratches like the iPhone 5 slate will.

I think I saw where W8 is GM, so it won't be long. This HTC, at 4.3" is perfect in my book (as long as I can get 32gig on board)

nba1341
Sep 19, 2012, 02:19 PM
4.3 inch 720p I like. Damn phone looks awesome windows phones look really good not that I would use one :/

ChazUK
Sep 19, 2012, 02:31 PM
HTC have definitely given Nokia a run for their money here. I was considering getting a Lumia for my next Windows Phone but the 8X looks like it could be the one.

What a strong release for WP8 this autumn.:cool:

Oohara
Sep 19, 2012, 02:58 PM
Lame. I really wanted to see that rumored Android phablet.

Honestly I'm getting bored with the look of WP8 already, just from these photos and those of the Nokias. Of course the experience will be something entirely different once I actually fiddle around with it, but yeah...kind of getting that claustrophobic iOS feeling all over again.

Come on HTC, just let rip with that massive droid phablet goodness already!! :cool:

scott craft
Sep 19, 2012, 04:48 PM
I like the looks of the HTC 8X, going to be a tough decision between that and the Lumia 920.

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

zbarvian
Sep 19, 2012, 06:50 PM
That thing should be thinner. It's thicker than my 2-year old iPhone 4, which is much smaller.

watchthisspace
Sep 19, 2012, 07:40 PM
That thing should be thinner. It's thicker than my 2-year old iPhone 4, which is much smaller.

Apple have spoilt us by making everything think that a thick phone = bad. Also both of those phones have a bigger screen than the iPhone 4.

zbarvian
Sep 19, 2012, 08:37 PM
Apple have spoilt us by making everything think that a thick phone = bad. Also both of those phones have a bigger screen than the iPhone 4.

Thin phones are sexier...that's the truth.

watchthisspace
Sep 19, 2012, 09:36 PM

Apple has got you in the bag then.

Technarchy
Sep 19, 2012, 09:39 PM

Feels nicer in the hand too.

zbarvian
Sep 19, 2012, 09:49 PM
Apple has got you in the bag then.

I find it funny that you are deluding yourself into thinking otherwise.

Chunky, thicker phones are not as sleek-looking as thinner phones. This is always true, regardless of the manufacturer (HTC One S is thin and good-looking).

Vegastouch
Sep 19, 2012, 09:58 PM
No micro SD slot. HTC almost knocks it out of the park but leaves out a biggy. Still a nice phone but w/ 16GB...it needs external space. I wonder what the other two colors are?

Calidude
Sep 19, 2012, 10:03 PM
The 8X looks more rugged and hand-worthy than the iPhone 5.

I think I trust Nokia over HTC however...

Vegastouch
Sep 19, 2012, 10:08 PM

Sexier? Are you a chick?

Its a phone! That HTC is 9.91mm thick and your iP4 is 9.3mm thick. Its not even a full mm difference which.......if you think 1 mm is a lot, you have issues.

HTC actually has two Windows (http://hothardware.com/News/HTC-Unveils-its-8X--8S-Windows-Phone-8-Smartphones/) phones coming out. The other will have a 4" screen

watchthisspace
Sep 19, 2012, 10:11 PM

Chunky, thicker phones are not as sleek-looking as thinner phones. This is always true, regardless of the manufacturer (HTC One S is thin and good-looking).

From a looks perspective, that is the trend. You can laugh at me all you want, but I find the Lumia 920, 820, HTC 8X, 8S, iPhone 3g and iPhone 2g to be all lovely looking phones, even if they're considered thick. Looks are subjective and everyone has different tastes.

A phone can be on the thicker side, as long as it fits nicely into one's hand and pocket.

You can buy your phone's based on your own criteria, I'll never dispute that, I'm happy to have my own criteria.

----------

No micro SD slot. HTC almost knocks it out of the park but leaves out a biggy. Still a nice phone but w/ 16GB...it needs external space. I wonder what the other two colors are?

I'm sure they do have SD card slots.

Technarchy
Sep 19, 2012, 10:11 PM

black certainly leaves an impression

http://cdn.thenextweb.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2012/09/WP-8X-by-HTC-Graphite-Black-3viewswtmk.jpg

And a video about the design of the 8X. In motion you can really appreciate how clean the lines are, and now thin it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMQOzGvhUBo

Vegastouch
Sep 19, 2012, 10:15 PM
From a looks perspective, that is the trend. You can laugh at me all you want, but I find the Lumia 920, 820, HTC 8X, 8S, iPhone 3g and iPhone 2g to be all lovely looking phones, even if they're considered thick. Looks are subjective and everyone has different tastes.

A phone can be on the thicker side, as long as it fits nicely into one's hand and pocket.

You can buy your phone's based on your own criteria, I'll never dispute that, I'm happy to have my own criteria.

----------

I havent seen it mentioned yet and HTC rarely uses them.

zbarvian
Sep 19, 2012, 10:15 PM
Sexier? Are you a chick?

Its a phone! That HTC is 9.91mm thick and your iP4 is 9.3mm thick. Its not even a full mm difference which.......if you think 1 mm is a lot, you have issues.

HTC actually has two Windows (http://hothardware.com/News/HTC-Unveils-its-8X--8S-Windows-Phone-8-Smartphones/) phones coming out. The other will have a 4" screen

Yeah, but the iPhone 4 was released over 2 years ago and it's thinner than this thing. I may be spoiled by Apple's uncanny ability to shrink and flatten everything, but I really don't understand why ~8mm phones aren't the norm. It not only looks nicer, but it also makes it easier to operate, especially with a larger screen.

Wolfpup
Sep 19, 2012, 10:17 PM
Windows Phone 7 has good ideas, and 8 seems like a gigantic upgrade.

I've heard rumors that podcast support on WP8 is going to be fixed, like ditch the terrible zune software? I hope that's the case, now that Apple eliminated it from iOS.

watchthisspace
Sep 19, 2012, 10:22 PM
I havent seen it mentioned yet and HTC rarely uses them.

Looks like it's a swing and miss. The 8x has no SD card slot, while the 8s does:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6310/the-windows-phone-8x-and-8s-by-htc

Technarchy
Sep 19, 2012, 10:24 PM
Imbed video of iconic design. kinda cool.

cMQOzGvhUBo

And colors

http://images.anandtech.com/galleries/2321/WindowsPhone8X_Multi_575px.jpg

Vegastouch
Sep 19, 2012, 10:25 PM
Yeah, but the iPhone 4 was released over 2 years ago and it's thinner than this thing. I may be spoiled by Apple's uncanny ability to shrink and flatten everything, but I really don't understand why ~8mm phones aren't the norm. It not only looks nicer, but it also makes it easier to operate, especially with a larger screen.

Whats so uncanny about them slimming a phone with a small battery and no NFC inductor? It wouldnt be what it is now...(and mind you it isnt even out yet and this is the first time they have made a phone this slim) if it had modern tech in it!

I dont know about you but i dont want to eventually have a credit card for a phone. Im sure you didnt complain about the 3G and 3GS and their 12.3 mm thickness. Which i might add was thicker than the iPhone 2G which is 10.8mm.

Calidude
Sep 19, 2012, 10:26 PM
Windows Phone 7 has good ideas, and 8 seems like a gigantic upgrade.
We don't even really know what Windows Phone 8 has in store other than that homescreen being revamped.

Vegastouch
Sep 19, 2012, 10:27 PM
Looks like it's a swing and miss. The 8x has no SD card slot, while the 8s does:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6310/the-windows-phone-8x-and-8s-by-htc

Well thats a bummer. Too big of a deal for me to ignore because the 8X is coming to T-Mobile while we are getting the Nokia 820...which both have the same size screen.

Calidude
Sep 19, 2012, 10:31 PM
Imbed video of iconic design. kinda cool.

I want to projectile vomit every time I see these people talk about the product as if it were something magical. It's so rehearsed and over the top that I cringe watching that. I really, really despise videos produced by marketing teams. :mad:

watchthisspace
Sep 19, 2012, 10:37 PM
I want to projective vomit every time I see these people talk about the product as if it were something magical. It's so rehearsed and over the top that I cringe watching that. I really, really despise videos produced by marketing teams. :mad:

Listening to Jonny Ive is fun :D

b166er
Sep 19, 2012, 10:43 PM
Not liking the iPhone 5 much, but I'll have to play with one once a friend gets his.

The Nokia 920 is the front runner for my next phone. These HTC's look nice as well, but I have experience with Nokia and their insanely awesome build quality. I have never used an HTC and I have heard very mixed things from many people.

zbarvian
Sep 19, 2012, 10:56 PM
Whats so uncanny about them slimming a phone with a small battery and no NFC inductor? It wouldnt be what it is now...(and mind you it isnt even out yet and this is the first time they have made a phone this slim) if it had modern tech in it!

I dont know about you but i dont want to eventually have a credit card for a phone. Im sure you didnt complain about the 3G and 3GS and their 12.3 mm thickness. Which i might add was thicker than the iPhone 2G which is 10.8mm.

The iPhone 5 is chock full of VERY modern tech. NFC would be nice, but it wouldn't add a more-than-negligible amount of mass to the device. Larger phones have the ability to house a larger battery with larger components while still achieving a very svelte figure. I just truly don't think any other OEM has Apple's prowess of engineering, and it's upsetting.

Wolfpup
Sep 19, 2012, 11:51 PM
We don't even really know what Windows Phone 8 has in store other than that homescreen being revamped.

Well, a few major things include that it's dumping WinCE and switching to NT! It's also allowing native programs, unlike Android and Windows Phone 7 (but like iOS). Supposedly the way it syncs with PCs will be different/more iTunes like...I hope. Combine that with stuff 7 did well, and I'm actually fairly interested.

vistadude
Sep 20, 2012, 12:09 AM
I think the HTC 8X looks better than the Lumia 920, at least it's dimensions seem to be smaller. And I don't care much for cameras, as long as they take average shots and don't stick out like HTC's previous phones.

The biggest thing to me is which features and apps are exclusive to nokia, and which will see their way on all windows phones regardless of manufacturer and carrier.

Wolfpup
Sep 20, 2012, 12:43 AM
I wish both Android and Windows Phone let you manage programs on a PC, like iOS does...it's soooo annoying having no way to back up programs, and potentially downloading 90 billion MB of files if you restore or whatever, among other issues.

Vegastouch
Sep 20, 2012, 12:49 AM
The iPhone 5 is chock full of VERY modern tech. NFC would be nice, but it wouldn't add a more-than-negligible amount of mass to the device. Larger phones have the ability to house a larger battery with larger components while still achieving a very svelte figure. I just truly don't think any other OEM has Apple's prowess of engineering, and it's upsetting.

But it is missing a bigger battery and a NFC inductor. Those would add some thickness. The GS3 is only 8.6mm thick and thats with NFC and a 2100mAh battery. If Apple had those, it wouldnt be 7.7mm thick. And again, for me, the GS3 is pretty thin for being a big phone and i prefer a case on it for better grip. I dont like extremely thin phones.

LIVEFRMNYC
Sep 20, 2012, 12:49 AM
I wish both Android and Windows Phone let you manage programs on a PC, like iOS does...it's soooo annoying having no way to back up programs, and potentially downloading 90 billion MB of files if you restore or whatever, among other issues.

:confused:

Wolfpup
Sep 20, 2012, 01:13 AM
:confused:

Eh? Confused about what?

Calidude
Sep 20, 2012, 01:29 AM
But it is missing a bigger battery and a NFC inductor. Those would add some thickness. The GS3 is only 8.6mm thick and thats with NFC and a 2100mAh battery. If Apple had those, it wouldnt be 7.7mm thick. And again, for me, the GS3 is pretty thin for being a big phone and i prefer a case on it for better grip. I dont like extremely thin phones.
The iPhone should have been polycarbonate like this phone but with a much bigger battery. In 2 sizes. 4 inch and 4.7 inches. Then I'd consider buying it.

Sedrick
Sep 20, 2012, 07:04 AM

What everyone is missing about the iPhone is that it's very thin, but it's also hard edges and right angles. You can go a bit thicker in the back if the sides are small and tapered. Over-all volume may, in fact, remain the same. Ergonomics seems to be completely ignored when talking about the iPhone.

snow blind
Sep 20, 2012, 07:40 AM
Ergonomics seems to be completely ignored when talking about the iPhone. Apple and ergonomics... oxymoron. I've only cares about the stark industrial design. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/00/The_Apple_Mouse.jpg/640px-The_Apple_Mouse.jpg God i remember the hockey puck... i detested that thing :D

Technarchy
Sep 20, 2012, 08:09 AM
I've watching a few vids on the 8X and read many of the major tech blogs' impressions.

I think HTC has a winner on their hands, with the potential to outshine the Lumia 920.

The thinner design, reasonable screen and body size, plus LCD display appeals to be greatly.

snow blind
Sep 20, 2012, 09:01 AM
I've watching a few vids on the 8X and read many of the major tech blogs' impressions.

I think HTC has a winner on their hands, with the potential to outshine the Lumia 920.

The thinner design, reasonable screen and body size, plus LCD display appeals to be greatly.

I just can't decide. For me it's:

HTC 8X
-Slightly nicer polycarbonate body and finish.
-Thinner profile and lighter weight.
-Wide angle, high resolution front camera.

Nokia Lumia 920
-Better rear camera.
-Wireless charging & magnetic docking. (awesome Palm Pre like feature)
-Nokia exclusive map / data apps.

What I really want is the 8X body with Nokia's inductive charging/docking system and map applications

retrospek
Sep 20, 2012, 10:27 AM
I just can't decide. For me it's:

HTC 8X
-Slightly nicer polycarbonate body and finish.
-Thinner profile and lighter weight.
-Wide angle, high resolution front camera.

Nokia Lumia 920
-Better rear camera.
-Wireless charging & magnetic docking. (awesome Palm Pre like feature)
-Nokia exclusive map / data apps.

What I really want is the 8X body with Nokia's inductive charging/docking system and map applications

I'm in exactly the same position. I really want the HTC - but I wish it had the maps and charging that Nokia does.. For me, Maps is really important and I think Nokia will lead in this area..

TheHateMachine
Sep 20, 2012, 12:01 PM

Can't speak for Win Phone 8 (It might have it, who knows) but in Android you can backup apps through a backup app itself. Granted it is not baked into the OS but it is still something... which is better than nothing! :D

NT1440
Sep 20, 2012, 12:04 PM
Very nice looking hardware!

I just personally can't stand the Windows Phone interface, though I have a friend who absolutely loves his WP7 phone so different strokes for different folks.

wrkactjob
Sep 20, 2012, 01:04 PM

----------

I'm sure the 8X doesn't.

That's a mistake by HTC, 16gb and that's your lot.

Sixtafoua
Sep 20, 2012, 09:56 PM
I'm split between the 820 and these phones. I'm probably going to go with the lumia because of the Nokia City Lens, Nokia Drive, and Micro SD. Plus, the colored shells look really cool. Still waiting for pricing and availability on Nokia's end, which may push me into HTC land, but I heard a rumor the 820 was coming to T-Mobile, which would seal the deal for me. :D

Wolfpup
Sep 21, 2012, 10:25 AM
Don't forget Nokia and Motorola are going to destroy the asian company's reception too. When faced with a similar phone there's no way I'd pick an HTC or Samsung or something over a Nokia or Motorola.