Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VinWin15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find the exact same question in the boards so here it goes. Is there a way to merge iTunes accounts? Are there any major Pros and Cons to just using one?

My wife and I both had iPods, and now iPhones and have always had separate accounts, she had her music I had mine. We've authorized both accounts on each computer and enabled HomeSharing so if we wanted a song or an App we could get it. Would downloading an app now show up on both devices or just the one that downloaded it?

One of the issue we've run into is at times an App will become hung updating. It seems to cross Apple ID's and not allow for the update, but if I select all mine, or all hers and go to do a mass update it will work with out issue. We also have an AppleTV as well, and having everything under one account would make life easier on that front - one of us always seems to have a gift card credit on our account, just never the last one we ordered a movie or something with is logged in!

I understand that not everything would transfer and some things would become lost (but who couldn't use an excuse to purge some stuff) just looking for advice from anyone else who may have done this already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.