PDA

View Full Version : Warcraft 3 Problem.

Falleron
Nov 17, 2002, 10:30 AM
I am playing warcraft + have a problem that is starting to bug me now! It wont let me select more than about 10 units at a time (not sure of the exact number). So, if you have a large group of units (say 30), you have to go back + select the rest becasue they have not moved! Any solutions to this??

chibianh
Nov 17, 2002, 10:40 AM
That's part of the game. You can select up to 12 units at a time. However, you can also assign groups u select a hotkey so u can just press one key and it'll select everyone in your group. To do this, select ur group, press ctrl and then a number. That number is assigned to that group so everytime u press that number, that group is selected. To add units to a group (up to 12), hit shift and then the number assigned to that group. To remove them from the group, click on that one unit (or select a number of units) and assign then another number. Hope this helps in your gameplay.

Anh

cubist
Nov 17, 2002, 11:09 AM
It was especially a pain in Starcraft where you might have 100 or so Zerglings. Moving them in ten groups of ten was a real pain.

In Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds, AOE II, and many other games, there seems to be no limit to the number of units selected. Plus, the right-click movement feature works very effectively, since 90% of the time when you click on a unit you want to move it.

I finally decided that the user interface of Starcraft/Warcraft was too clunky and frustrating, and stopped playing them.

In all these games, it is a pain that the menu is always down at the bottom. It causes needless mouse movement. Why can't a little menu, or arrows, appear around the unit when you select it? It doesn't need to be huge, because every unit can't do everything.

Falleron
Nov 18, 2002, 04:35 AM
Thanks for the replies. Its what I thought, your only allowed to slect 12 units at a time. Why do they have this limitation? It seems an obvious flaw if you have ever played the game! You cant overun a base with 12 units(not normally anyway)! I now know you can group them, but, its still not what I want to do.

benixau
Nov 18, 2002, 04:40 AM
They put that limitation in, because the systems that the v1 games were designed for, had alot less power that todays do and a lot less memory. Therefore by only letting you select 12 at a time it meant that there was less memory to be used in actual movement and processing power overall.

Also video cards then werent so good at re-rednering entire screens in one go, so by moving a few units the whole screen didn't often have to be re-rendered. Notic e the simplistic drawings.

The above reason is also why the control bar is always at the bottom. Less screen to re-draw.

Falleron
Nov 24, 2002, 08:18 AM
I have another problem! I cant play the game properly because when there are large battles the screen goes very jerky + the mouse pointer disappears!! Its impossible for me to get past the level I am on because the game is virtually unplayable.

I have a Dual 1Ghz with 1Gig of RAM running in OSX.2.2 using the latest warcraft 3 patch.

Any ideas?

peterjhill
Nov 24, 2002, 08:28 AM
Imagine if you could have 50 units grouped together and moved them... When they got there, the computer would spend an hour trying to get all the units as close to the spot you clicked as possible. What a pain. I find that the 12 unit limit works well. I tend to make 2 or three types of units, plus the heros. Heros are always in group one, then I put melee chars in group 2 and ranged chars in group 3. Special chars, like spellcasters tend to go in the hero groups or group 4. If you had all those chars in one group, you will randomly end up with half your melee characters in the front and half in the back (where they are useless). This way you can easily move all your ranged characters behind your front line. Then when you add catapults to the mix, so you really want them in the same group with your ogres?

WannabeSQ
Nov 25, 2002, 01:42 AM
It goes down to the strategic design of the game, you are supposed to maximize the efficiency of your units, not make that many. Thats why they put the food limit in.

I usually make my groups self contained armies, each led by a hero, and somewhat balanced out, ie each group has some casters, some melee, and some ranged, along with a hero. To access all of the castable items, I just use the tab key and go from there. And also, because you can put units in multiple groups, you can have your cake and eat it too. I have a slower mac, (500mhz) and cant micro too well on screen as the mouse is jerky so I cast spells on my units by clicking on their icons in the group window. Like a paladin heal for instance. I also have a knack for moving the screen off of the battle to select the item I want to use. You might say I am working well with that I have.

Falleron
Nov 25, 2002, 03:18 AM
Oh well, I completed the game last night! It only took me a short time to complete it! I only ever had at maximum of 2 groups which each contained 12 units (+ Bad guys).