Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
They want to get you to upgrade somehow. Basically it's a bunch of little jabs that will eventually knock you into submission.

Luckily with the 4S there aren't any jabs and I haven't been beaten into anything.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
Explain

Also 6PM. No iOS 6?

I have heard that it isnt available due to the processor. The processor in the iPhone 4 can't process the panorama images (stitch them together, remove markings, etc) in a reasonable amount of time so Apple decided it isnt the best user experience - hence it not being available on the iPhone 4.

Also, iOS6 is now available.

ANinjaPeanut

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2011
I have heard that it isnt available due to the processor. The processor in the iPhone 4 can't process the panorama images (stitch them together, remove markings, etc) in a reasonable amount of time so Apple decided it isnt the best user experience - hence it not being available on the iPhone 4.

Also, iOS6 is now available.

The processor can handle Panorama absolutely no problem, I had it on my jailbroken iPhone 4 for a long time with zero problems.
The real reason it isn't included is as the first response said, it is one of the many little(r) things that Apple leave out to get you to upgrade.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Apple pretty consistently gives you 2 major updates before you start getting nudged hard to upgrade. Same here as with Macs. Compared to the competition across the board, this is really very good. And remember they do keep supporting the older stuff, but just not fully.

With Android, you are lucky if you get an upgrade at all. With Windows PCs, you get to upgrade to anything (they want to sell you the upgrade), even if it would run like a total pig, or not at all. Apple has the ability to control the whole thing and so keeps you at a certain level of performance by limiting some stuff on older hardware. There is a cost to supporting older hardware because they have to test and support every combination of hardware / software / features. Given that they charge nothing, or very little (OSX) for the upgrades, I think their approach is a good win/win for everyone.

So in your planning for hardware upgrades, its safe to plan for upgrades every other OS cycle... if you want to keep running the latest OS enhancements.

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
Apple pretty consistently gives you 2 major updates before you start getting nudged hard to upgrade. Same here as with Macs. Compared to the competition across the board, this is really very good. And remember they do keep supporting the older stuff, but just not fully.

With Android, you are lucky if you get an upgrade at all. With Windows PCs, you get to upgrade to anything (they want to sell you the upgrade), even if it would run like a total pig, or not at all. Apple has the ability to control the whole thing and so keeps you at a certain level of performance by limiting some stuff on older hardware.

So in your planning for hardware upgrades, its safe to plan for upgrades every other OS cycle... if you want to keep running the latest OS enhancements.

It's hard if your carrier won't let you.

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
OH
There are several panorama apps that work just fine on the IP4, without jailbreak (Photosynth being one). It's as mentioned, to add incentive to upgrading hardware.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Because the 4 is slowly falling into the fiery pit of unsupported death. Just like the 3G, and 3GS.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
There are several panorama apps that work just fine on the IP4, without jailbreak (Photosynth being one). It's as mentioned, to add incentive to upgrading hardware.
Are there others in the app store where you literally just pan the camera, and the app knows when to take the pics/stitch them together?

The various ones that I've used require you to line everything up and press the button each time to take a pic.

faizoff

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
I've had photosynth since it came out for my iphone4 so don't really bemoan the loss of a feature from ios6.

Also the mapquest app has had turn by turn voice directions since day 1 so no loss of feature over there as well.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Because they didn't promise you that you would get new apps like Panorama two years later. At least you can still update and run updated OS two years after you bought it.
Anyways, if you really want it, get a Panorama app. Apples' version gets you the same quality of image.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Photosynth does it automatically, no clicking required.
Ah, cool.

I see from one of the Photosynth screenshots in the app store that it may take a few minutes to put the panorama together.

I don't recall the iOS app taking more than a few seconds to do that on an iPhone 4s. I wonder if the iPhone 4 would have taken a lot longer, thus Apple's decision to not include it?

mzl.tginqjmp.320x480-75.jpg

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
OH
Maybe...I never thought the wait was bad though. Certainly didn't stop me from using it. Hell, do it in photoshop on a PC and it takes a bit to stitch.

bitninja

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2007
San Jose, CA, USA
Yeah, it's nearly instant to stitch the photos together on newer devices. It can take a minute (or a couple of minutes) to stitch the photos together in 3rd party apps. The iPhone 4 doesn't have the processing power to do it on-demand, hence the omission of the feature.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
Ah, cool.

I see from one of the Photosynth screenshots in the app store that it may take a few minutes to put the panorama together.

I don't recall the iOS app taking more than a few seconds to do that on an iPhone 4s. I wonder if the iPhone 4 would have taken a lot longer, thus Apple's decision to not include it?

I've never had Photosynth take minutes. I'd say maybe 15 seconds at most on iP4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.