Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
USA
I have some friends who have an iPhone but don't go to websites like MacRumors and therefore do not know iOS6 is out. Since I know it's out, I just go to software update.

I would like my friends to be updated to iOS6 at some point. I was wondering if I had to make them aware of the update or not. If I never tell them about it, and they never go to Software Update, will they ever know an update is out? Or do I have to make them aware of it and tell them to go to Software Update?

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
USA
Okay. But let's say it's been a month since the update has been out? Will the user receive some sort of popup at some point?

I have to believe that most users who are not on top of Apple's software releases do not routinely go to "General" in settings and select software update.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Okay. But let's say it's been a month since the update has been out? Will the user receive some sort of popup at some point?

Yes, they'll eventually get a popup, and a badge on top of the Settings app icon. Probably in a few days or about a week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.