Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Melizard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
Canada/Germany
I'm heading to Peru on Friday, for a few weeks. I am going by myself and sticking mainly to touristy areas. I keep reading conflicting advice in regards to safety/security. I want to be able to take photos but not make myself a target (blonde female, obviously a tourist... entiendo español un poco). I am hoping to get some feedback from someone who has traveled there, to maybe give some insight as to how dangerous it really is. I don't want to be paranoid the whole trip, because I think it has the potential to make me less engaged with local people.

I've also been looking at photos from Peru / South America to get some inspiration, so it would be lovely if anybody had any that they would like to share!

:)

wolfpuppies3

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2012
Virginia, USA
I've traveled throughout 37 countries including Peru and would echo the sentiment expressed in one of Designer Dan's links:

"Women in particular shouldn't travel alone in Peru and the US Government warns that thieves appear to be targeting young tourists who holiday in low-cost accommodation, carry backpacks, and travel alone or in pairs in isolated areas, rather than in large groups. Safety in numbers."

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
Safe travels and stay safe. I was in Lima eons ago so I can't help you about present day conditions. The food was great (especially the seafood) and the gold museum a must.

joemod

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
Athens, Greece
I'm heading to Peru on Friday, for a few weeks. I am going by myself and sticking mainly to touristy areas. I keep reading conflicting advice in regards to safety/security. I want to be able to take photos but not make myself a target (blonde female, obviously a tourist... entiendo español un poco). I am hoping to get some feedback from someone who has traveled there, to maybe give some insight as to how dangerous it really is. I don't want to be paranoid the whole trip, because I think it has the potential to make me less engaged with local people.

I've also been looking at photos from Peru / South America to get some inspiration, so it would be lovely if anybody had any that they would like to share!

:)

I travelled to Peru about 4 years ago. Went to Lima for business and Nazca Lines one day excursion. Can you give us additional info on where you are going and with whom (eg. Alone or with another person etc.)?

sirxavier

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2008
Hey I am from Lima and this is what my mama used to (and still does :D) tell me.

Don't go out on the streets wearing expensive clothes, jewelry, electronics (so that iphone is a no no :p)..

At night the streets become more dangerous, call a taxi(don't take an informal one on the streets) after a certain time.(varies from place to place so earlier to be safe)

Don't get inside dangerous neighborhoods (should be obvious which ones)

That said.... tourist areas are pretty safe with a lot of policemen around, still you have to worry about pickpocketing there..

Also.. most peruvians are friendly towards foreigners and will help if asked, some can speak english.

Peruvian food is like... really really good.. and also.. PISCO! Sorry, I had to. :D

For pictures if you are going to cuzco obiovisly macchu picchu... in lima the place the most striking place for me was the catacombs.... sooo... erie O.O

Anyway have fun on your trip and remember even when taking precautions you should still probably stay alert...

Melizard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
Canada/Germany
Thanks everyone for replying!

I'm all set to go, I'm just a bit bummed that I won't be taking my dslr around with me all of the time. It wouldn't be the end of the world if it got stolen, but it's not worth risking my life for.

I refuse to let being a woman stop me from seeing the world. I know I am an obvious target, so I will try to be aware of my surroundings. I'm traveling solo, going to Lima (for a conference), then to Arequipa, Puno, and Cusco (plus a hike to Macchu Pichu). Mostly touristy places, so it won't be so bad. I will be there for just under a month.

I'll post when I'm back! Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.