Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psychbiker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
I installed a new SSD and installed Mountain Lion on there.

I installed the original HDD into the optical bay.

I just plugged my iphone in to update to 6.0 and noticed Itunes empty/new and asking if I want to transfer purchased songs.

The original HDD thats in the optical bay has everything still on it...files/music/applications. I then thought opening the application from the original HDD would bring back Itunes with all my imported music...nope.

All my music files are there, I'm just wondering how to restore Itunes and not have to authorize my macbook again, if it makes a difference at all.

Its not a lot of music and I can just import them or have itunes find them.

Do I need to remove/uninstall Itunes on the SSD so I can install it on the HDD?

Thanks

ljf5000

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2007
I installed a new SSD and installed Mountain Lion on there.

I installed the original HDD into the optical bay.

I just plugged my iphone in to update to 6.0 and noticed Itunes empty/new and asking if I want to transfer purchased songs.

The original HDD thats in the optical bay has everything still on it...files/music/applications. I then thought opening the application from the original HDD would bring back Itunes with all my imported music...nope.

All my music files are there, I'm just wondering how to restore Itunes and not have to authorize my macbook again, if it makes a difference at all.

Its not a lot of music and I can just import them or have itunes find them.

Do I need to remove/uninstall Itunes on the SSD so I can install it on the HDD?

Thanks

Try holding the Option key down while you open iTunes (the iTunes on your SSD). This will allow you to choose your itunes library. Then browse to the old iTunes library on the HDD.

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
Assuming the ssd and old hd have the same OS version and itunes version, you should be able to simply swap Music folders.

edit. for some reason you'll probably need to download your artwork again.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.