PDA

View Full Version : 10.8.2 Experiences - share here

iOrbit
Sep 19, 2012, 02:32 PM
okay, i wanted to make a topic where people can share their experiences with this update, as its the first major update to 10.8.

there are issues with mountain lion for quite a few users.

some include:

Color Profile Display Switching with GPU
i.e. if you open an app like iPhoto which will make the graphics switch, the colour profile may switch to a more blue-tinted profile and only goes away after you quit the app(s) in question.

WiFi -wake-from-sleep issue
some users reported the WiFi to stop working on their MacBooks when booting from sleep mode after many hours.

Low Battery Life Issue
many many users have reported a much lower battery life in their MacBooks since upgrading to Mountain Lion.

Graphical Glitches and Freezing Issue
quite a few users including myself, have been experiencing this one - the OS will freeze, the cursor will continue to move but everything else is unresponsive.

Mission Control/Swiping Desktop animation lag issue
another many have reported including myself is the laggyness, or stuttering lag to the animation of desktop swiping between spaces.

Blurry Launchpad Icons issue
some users have reported a blur to the icons in Launchpad,
i have this as well, for me it is very very slight, but its there.

i just updated to 10.8.2.

heres my experience so far:

Battery Life: seems worse actually. on the last update i would get the battery to mention anywhere up to 8 hours, though it would usually stay around 5 hours. sometimes it would never go back to 8 hours.
now its started at 5 hours after a full charge, bluetooth off, and screen brightness half way or less.

little effect.

Lag issue with swiping and animations-

10.8.2. has definitely tweaked the speed and animation of swiping its faster like Lion was. when i have apps visible on desktops though, i still experience the stutteryness sometimes. its not consistent but still there.

its too soon to say about the other issues (freezing, color profile changing)

but i will be looking out for these.

how has your experience been?

by the way, i noticed i can't get the Reminders app to rid this 'badge' alert on the dock icon, you know.. the red badge, with the numeral '1' on it? anyone else got this or know how to rid it?

lastly.. launchpad seems slower and a laggier than before.

im wondering if i should do a fresh clean install.

Dhelsdon
Sep 19, 2012, 02:43 PM
Launchpad is much smoother for me actually, I haven't noticed much battery life difference but honestly I haven't had it running on battery power since the update, I'll post my findings when I do though.

Personally I am having issues with the Game Center and facebook integration, My contacts aren't linked to Facebook, and I can't seem to add facebook friends to Game Center other then the two recommendations being displayed to me.

I could be missing something, as I have yet to see a 'single sign on' for facebook and stuff, maybe someone can shed some light on this?

Edit: Also, no notifications from Facebook in Notification Center.

schmidt65
Sep 19, 2012, 02:47 PM
Has anyone worked out how to add 'passes to passbook from Safari or Mail'? I have PDF passes - but don't see anyway of adding them to passbook? Does it have to be a passbook specific pass? :confused:

Afbar1114
Sep 19, 2012, 03:12 PM
It seems much smoother the dock also seems a bit different as well. battery life seems wonky right now being going back and forth but it seems much better so far. when i get home ill be doing a fresh install since it was such a big update and i read on here that 10.8.2 was suppose to be much better battery life. also apple released a ton of updates today. it seems they updated every possible thing the could have

iOrbit
Sep 19, 2012, 03:25 PM
Launchpad is much smoother for me actually, I haven't noticed much battery life difference but honestly I haven't had it running on battery power since the update, I'll post my findings when I do though.

Personally I am having issues with the Game Center and facebook integration, My contacts aren't linked to Facebook, and I can't seem to add facebook friends to Game Center other then the two recommendations being displayed to me.

I could be missing something, as I have yet to see a 'single sign on' for facebook and stuff, maybe someone can shed some light on this?

Edit: Also, no notifications from Facebook in Notification Center.

i wonder why it isn't for me, is your LaunchPad full of alot of apps? i wonder if i have too many. im going to try a fresh install later tonight i think, or atleast soon.

as for facebook, you know the contacts? have you tried this:

going to system preferences > accounts, click the facebook icon on the left on the side left panel where your other registered/logged in accounts are. when i click on the facebook one, i see a checkbox next to contacts. theres also an extra button to 'get facebook contact photos' at the bottom.

i am not sure if facebook notifications are working yet, i'll have to wait and see. all my facebook contacts are in my address book/contacts now.

It seems much smoother the dock also seems a bit different as well. battery life seems wonky right now being going back and forth but it seems much better so far. when i get home ill be doing a fresh install since it was such a big update and i read on here that 10.8.2 was suppose to be much better battery life. also apple released a ton of updates today. it seems they updated every possible thing the could have

how does the dock seem different, i havent noticed anything different.

i can't figure out how to get iCloud tabs in safari to show my iPod touch tabs. its working with my iPad tabs. on my iPod and iPad, i can access the MacBook/iPad tabs.

i cant get my Macbook or iPad to show my ipod tabs.

EDIT**

nevermind, i figured it out:

if you have private browsing [ON] then the device wont send its tabs to iCloud. you will only be able to view iCloud tabs from other devices that arent private browsing.

Afbar1114
Sep 19, 2012, 03:31 PM
i wonder why it isn't for me, is your LaunchPad full of alot of apps? i wonder if i have too many. im going to try a fresh install later tonight i think, or atleast soon.

going to system preferences > accounts, click the facebook icon on the left on the side left panel where your other registered/logged in accounts are. when i click on the facebook one, i see a checkbox next to contacts. theres also an extra button to 'get facebook contact photos' at the bottom.

i am not sure if facebook notifications are working yet, i'll have to wait and see. all my facebook contacts are in my address book/contacts now.

how does the dock seem different, i havent noticed anything different.

i can't figure out how to get iCloud tabs in safari to show my iPod touch tabs. its working with my iPad tabs. on my iPod and iPad, i can access the MacBook/iPad tabs.

i cant get my Macbook or iPad to show my ipod tabs.

i think you need ios 6 as well because they show up from time to time but i cant use it on iPad

iOrbit
Sep 19, 2012, 03:39 PM
i think you need ios 6 as well because they show up from time to time but i cant use it on iPad

Yeah i had iOS 6 installed, i did all apple updates at the same time today

Dhelsdon
Sep 19, 2012, 03:56 PM

Yea, a fair amount, first page is nearly full (minus about 4 icons) and second page is half full, smooth swipe transitions and everything..

eddiejsmall
Sep 19, 2012, 04:31 PM
I'd love to try this out, but unfortunatley both updates wont take. App Store shows "2" updates, click the "Update All" button, and it gives me the EFI warning about being plugged in, I click continue, and and agree to the terms, and nothing happens. Now App Store is saying "Installed" but "update" is lit up on each of the items. I've restarted multiple times, and closed app store and reopened, get same message everytime.

Ddyracer
Sep 19, 2012, 04:34 PM
My notifications worked for the first time ever and finally worked when i had an app unopened. Then stopped 5 minutes in. No banners, just the sounds and the app opens up when i get a message. Everything seems to work when I have the app open however. NC seems to have stopped working as well, i don't see my recent messages, although i haven't looked at in when in a app, have to see if the behavior is different :(

On a happy note MC is lag free so far. No stuttering when rapidly hitting the button.

Restore behavior is still whack for me. I have checked so it doesn't reopen and in Mail when i have the preferences open it restores. It does the same thing in Messages. In Aperture it doesn't restore if i have it unchecked or checked. In Safari it works exactly the way it should. And in the Mac store no resuming at all. No default restore when a icon is clicked on. Just goes to featured.

There is definitely more issues but this is just the ones I noticed after about an hour of playing around.

CyBeRino
Sep 19, 2012, 05:27 PM
Has anyone worked out how to add 'passes to passbook from Safari or Mail'? I have PDF passes - but don't see anyway of adding them to passbook? Does it have to be a passbook specific pass? :confused:

Yes, it needs to be a passbook .pkpass file. You'll see it appear like so:

http://i.minus.com/ibo3lGyMA9d2wE.png

If you click the button, it sends it to iCloud which then pushes it to your phone. (And yes, the info button at the bottom is functional, and so is the bar code.)

Watabou
Sep 19, 2012, 05:39 PM
My first impressions so far:

Graphics. They finally fixed the gliches and lags. When I swipe my fingers to go to left or right, there is no lag and it's noticeably faster than 10.8.1. Going to mission control has a slight lag in the beginning but not as much as 10.8.1. But after that slight lag, the animation is very smooth.

Tried the facebook integration. Doesn't seem to work. I don't know what "user name" means. I tried my personal facebook url name, my email, my full name, nothing works.

doomfront
Sep 19, 2012, 05:52 PM
how do I check how much time is left on my download? Doesn't even look like it's downloading

32KFJ
Sep 19, 2012, 06:04 PM
my battery is now 97% and it shows 3:49 h ... not good. :confused:

edit: hmm...now i'm surfin around with wifi / bluetooth on and it is now at 88% and it shows 6:06....

not sure if worse battery calculation or better battery life...

whsbuss
Sep 19, 2012, 06:04 PM
How can I integrate Facebook w/o adding the contacts?

IzzyJG99
Sep 19, 2012, 06:06 PM
Whenever I wake from sleep, it connects to my Airport Express....and then pops up in Finder a tiny window that is displaying Apple.com. This is the window that normally pops up to login when I want to connect to one of the Brighthouse provided Wi-Fi hot spots around town.

Whenever I turn Wi-Fi off and back on? It pops up doing that. Just displays Apple.com's front page.

VolceOntra
Sep 19, 2012, 06:25 PM
Messages is the biggest POS I have ever used.

Between iOS devices it's fine, throw in my iMac to the mix = HOT. ASS. MESS.

Bob Coxner
Sep 19, 2012, 06:43 PM
Had my fingers crossed for battery improvement but no luck. Mid 2011 13" MBA and the battery is just as bad as before. Maybe 10.8.3 will do it.

whsbuss
Sep 19, 2012, 07:12 PM
Well my first TM backup (4.12gb) and it is very slow. Hope nothing is broke in 10.8.2 for TM.

----------

Getting 3 of these errors every time I open System Prefs:

9/19/12 8:10:42.666 PM System Preferences[726]: *** WARNING: -[NSImage compositeToPoint:fromRect:operation:] is deprecated in MacOSX 10.8 and later. Please use -[NSImage drawAtPoint:fromRect:operation:fraction:] instead.

iOrbit
Sep 19, 2012, 07:36 PM
i just read about and learned the difference of 'delta' updates and 'combo' updates.

im wondering if the combo update would be a better choice at seeing if my OS will improve from the issues i'v experienced?

i updated through the Mac App Store.

does anyone know if this wouldve been the delta or combo?

or is it just a waste of time and it makes no difference if i install delta or combo updates?

shurcooL
Sep 19, 2012, 07:37 PM
For me, 10.8.2 is nice.

There are not many drastic changes that pop out, but overall it's a feeling of improvement. One thing I noticed is the spaces changing animation is quicker, which I really appreciate (because of its blocking nature)!

And of course the iOS 6 integration, like iMessage/FaceTime id unifying...

As well as the claimed battery life increase, although I never noticed it decrease since Lion.

CyBeRino
Sep 19, 2012, 07:38 PM
i just read about and learned the difference of 'delta' updates and 'combo' updates.

im wondering if the combo update would be a better choice at seeing if my OS will improve from the issues i'v experienced?

i updated through the Mac App Store.

does anyone know if this wouldve been the delta or combo?

or is it just a waste of time and it makes no difference if i install delta or combo updates?

Some people swear by combo updates but it should really not make a difference. Excepting today, I never do that and I never have any weird issues. (Today I got the combo from MR's front page because the regular update took forever to download.)

iOrbit
Sep 19, 2012, 07:43 PM
Some people swear by combo updates but it should really not make a difference. Excepting today, I never do that and I never have any weird issues. (Today I got the combo from MR's front page because the regular update took forever to download.)

is it too late for me to apply a combo update now that iv 'updated'??

and in future, does combo update effect any of my files or settings?

shurcooL
Sep 19, 2012, 07:57 PM
Does overwriting a system file with an identical copy of itself make any difference? No, it doesn't.

That's effectively what applying a combo update does. Unless Apple screws up a non-combo update, there is no point in doing it.

ek9max
Sep 19, 2012, 08:09 PM
Messages is the biggest POS I have ever used.

Between iOS devices it's fine, throw in my iMac to the mix = HOT. ASS. MESS.

Seems to work good for me.

blatopilot
Sep 19, 2012, 08:18 PM
I've noticed less lag or hanging with finder (particularly scrolling)

I've noticed better graphic performance. Spaces and moving windows etc...I had a nagging problem since the start of ML with weird hangups that seemed to have no cause.

I've noticed better itunes performance, specifically the coreaudiod process not running wild...Can't say its fixed, but can say I'm not seeing the problem as I was

I've noticed the dock is more responsive and launchpad for that matter

I've noticed quicker performance from Chromium/Chrome, but this could be due to resetting my router due to the earlier ios 6 wifi incident.

I've had less issues with 10.8.2 than I did with ios 6...I'm much less interested in new features than I am in getting the magic that I first felt with Snow Leopard...My sister has SL on her macbook and when I use it, I find myself wishing to have that back...her machine is 3 years old and boots and restarts faster than mine...

Anyway, so far 10.8.2 has been good for me, but I need to give it time.

2011 MB Pro 15

quasinormal
Sep 19, 2012, 08:21 PM
After installing 10.8.2 non combo update via a download and itunes 10.7, I got a grey screen after restarting. I did a hard restart and it seems ok. I think it choked trying to reopen the apps open on shutdown.

iOrbit
Sep 19, 2012, 08:40 PM
I'm much less interested in new features than I am in getting the magic that I first felt with Snow Leopard...My sister has SL on her macbook and when I use it, I find myself wishing to have that back...her machine is 3 years old and boots and restarts faster than mine...

Anyway, so far 10.8.2 has been good for me, but I need to give it time.

2011 MB Pro 15

I LOVE the new features and keep wanting them more.. but i know all too well, that this new adopted 'iOS' model of releasing OS's for the mac is not going to make these OS releases as stable or perfect as it was with snow leopard or even windows.

i believe with this model, the OS will always see and have more issues than fixes.

i already feel the same way as you do about snow leopard, but with lion. lion wasn't perfected, the issues of disorganised launchpad and particularly the memory management, really bothered me. they are fixed and perfect in mountain lion.. now ironically, everything perfect about lion is almost imperfect in mountain lion.

all these issues won't be fixed, until possibly the next OS release.. and with that new os will likely be more issues again that weren't issues in the first place.

----------

currently experiencing the blue tinted color profile switch.. shame.

happened when using skype.

vawolf
Sep 19, 2012, 08:55 PM
I can't get OS 10.8.2 to recognize the backup disk in my Time Capsule since I installed the update earlier tonight. Gonna try restarting the TC. Maybe that will also solve the iOS6 WiFi connectivity issue.

HoosierInFL
Sep 19, 2012, 08:56 PM
10.8.2 made using a monitor in vertical mode even worse. It's even more jittery and stutters much more than before when swiping between desktops. Very disappointing.

MacRumorUser
Sep 19, 2012, 09:06 PM
10.8 borked my wifi with continuous dropping of connection. 10.8.1 never resolved it. The new 10.8.2 being a much bigger update gave me hope, and after updating that hope is kicked in the bum once more. :( still broken.

sammjordan
Sep 19, 2012, 10:06 PM
10.8.2 won't let me connect to an external monitor with the internal display off (clamshell mode without the clamshell :) )

I tried re-entering the terminal command followed by a restart, but no dice..anyone else seeing this?

Platskies
Sep 20, 2012, 12:12 AM
I'm so happy they finally sped up the "change Space" animation... the slow deceleration was so annoying before. :cool:

shurcooL
Sep 20, 2012, 12:15 AM
I'm so happy they finally sped up the "change Space" animation... the slow deceleration was so annoying before. :cool:
Me too.

It really slowed down productivity and made using multiple spaces for a task very impractical.

I really hope they don't make it slow again.

Purant
Sep 20, 2012, 12:19 AM
I'm much less interested in new features than I am in getting the magic that I first felt with Snow Leopard...My sister has SL on her macbook and when I use it, I find myself wishing to have that back...her machine is 3 years old and boots and restarts faster than mine...

I have to add, I've been using OSX since tiger and I think Lion (and mountain lion) is the first time I felt like I was getting something worse than the previous version. In comparison Snow Leopard seems like a much more mature and stable environment. And to me most of the changes in Lion seem tacked on and going in a direction I don't like (I'm looking at you gatekeeper).

quasinormal
Sep 20, 2012, 12:19 AM
Just a reminder to re enable TRIM if you have an SSD.

nerdfighter
Sep 20, 2012, 12:25 AM
Updated to 10.8.2 and got -1 Messages :confused:

http://i.imgur.com/wOalP.png

cathul
Sep 20, 2012, 12:29 AM
Just a reminder to re enable TRIM if you have an SSD.

How to do that if trim enabler isn't working anymore with 10.8.2?
Whenever i try to switch Trim Enabler to "on" it does nothing.

In addition the nvram settings for disabling the 2nd monitor when an external monitor is connected doesn't seem to work for me anymore. :(

cyprian.pl
Sep 20, 2012, 12:37 AM
I can no longer control Apple Thunderbolt Display's brightness with external keyboard.
Until now my external keyboard controlled external display's brightness and MBPr's keyboard MBPr's brightness. Now the only way of changing external display's brightness is via Display preferences which is cumbersome :confused:

----------

Updated to 10.8.2 and got -1 Messages :confused:

Image (http://i.imgur.com/wOalP.png)

Simple: You're ought to send one :)

phobox
Sep 20, 2012, 04:54 AM
Updated to 10.8.2 here without a hitch. Facebook integration, iCloud tabs with my iPhone, MUCH better swiping between full screen apps, Finder seems snappier and best of all iMessages work with my phone number from the mac finally. So far I think its a great update and Im glad Apple are working hard to bring OSX and iOS more in sync with each other. Next thing Im looking forward to is iTunes 11, which from the keynote looks to be a great and much-needed update.

cyprian.pl
Sep 20, 2012, 05:01 AM
VirtualBox / vagrant stops working after update!

phillytim
Sep 20, 2012, 06:54 AM
My experience exactly, fantastic update! LOVE using my Mac, integrated with my iStuff, even more than ever!

I did the combo update, rather than the delta/Software update, because that's how I roll!

Updated to 10.8.2 here without a hitch. Facebook integration, iCloud tabs with my iPhone, MUCH better swiping between full screen apps, Finder seems snappier and best of all iMessages work with my phone number from the mac finally. So far I think its a great update and Im glad Apple are working hard to bring OSX and iOS more in sync with each other. Next thing Im looking forward to is iTunes 11, which from the keynote looks to be a great and much-needed update.

----------

Do you have the latest version of VirtualBox installed on your Mac? Should be version 4.2, was just released last week.

It's always recommended to check for upgrades for all your apps before you do a major OS upgrade, to head off most problems!

futuredub
Sep 20, 2012, 08:02 AM

This is a known bug and has been reported to apple (around the time the first 10.8.2 build was released to developers).
https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=51331

just waiting on a fix..

fisherking
Sep 20, 2012, 08:45 AM
this is an odd one...i just updated to 10.8.2, and my email signatures are gone...they're listed, but each one is blank.

otherwise, all seems good so far...

EmpyreanUK
Sep 20, 2012, 09:27 AM
Since updating to 10.8.2, the 'Mail' option in the iCloud panel in System Preferences has unticked itself, and if I go into the Mail, Contacts & Calendars panel, there is now my iCloud account, with Mail unticked, and a separate mail account called 'iCloud'. Very strange! My e-mail still works, I just think this is rather odd.

seanxwong
Sep 20, 2012, 10:18 AM
After upgrade launchpad goes really fast by swiping fingers, Safari is smoother, built-in Facebook is more convineint. As for battery life, it seems to have a tiny improvement.

RoelJuun
Sep 20, 2012, 11:08 AM
My experiences actually suck:

iPhoto -> crash on boot. (how ridiculous is that)
Messages -> still some messages aren't send, red exclamation mark.

However, as anybody already mentioned, swiping spaces is nice again. Would still love to have the old SL spaces/exposť back…

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And in iOS the music app is unusable, turning on iTunes Match or turning it off results in an app that doesn't show songs and is often non-reactive on input. I use my iPhone quite some time for music listening, meaning I'm screwed now. Never had so much troubles with updates from Apple…

The Economist
Sep 20, 2012, 12:20 PM
Haven't tested battery life yet, can't tell there's much difference but swiping between full screen apps is definitely faster/smoother now.

kmj2318
Sep 20, 2012, 12:54 PM
I immediately noticed that the animation no longer slows down when swiping between spaces, I'm very happy about that.

nblracer880
Sep 20, 2012, 12:54 PM
Before I updated, when I put my iMac to sleep, it would sleep instantly. As soon as I installed the update, when I click sleep it takes between 15 and 30 seconds to sleep. This is annoying.

Anyone else have this problem?? Any fixes??

memko
Sep 20, 2012, 04:25 PM
battery life was slashed into half after updating to 10.8.2 from lion

krspkbl
Sep 20, 2012, 04:40 PM
Battery life has improved a bit for me.

Bigmacduck
Sep 20, 2012, 05:55 PM
Installed a day ago 10.8.2 on my MBA 2012 i5 11": No problems at all. Too early to tell impact on battery life. Was only working for two hours on battery and still had 80%.

AndyR
Sep 20, 2012, 05:55 PM
Fans are going nuts the entire time on my 2011 MBP. Didn't on 10.8.1.

Going to have to restore from backup :(

petisjioweelsha
Sep 20, 2012, 06:20 PM
The changelog for 10.8.2 includes the item, "Ability to pre-authenticate a FileVault protected system."
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5460

Could someone explain exactly what that means?

Mr. McMac
Sep 20, 2012, 06:40 PM
Updated my '11 mini and '09 iMac. Both went without a hitch, although I did have a problem on my iMac with iPhoto 9.4 crashing on launch. I was able to rectify that by deleting "com.apple.iPhoto.plist" from library/preferences.

macuser1232
Sep 20, 2012, 07:48 PM
Anyone else had freezes after installing Mountain Lion? http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15760069#post15760069

fcortese
Sep 20, 2012, 11:19 PM
I noticed when time machine is doing a back up the TM icon that used to show up on my desktop is no longer there. No buggy, but I got used to seeing it and knowing that a backup was in progress because most of the time I really blank out any sounds coming from my MBP.

MikeE21286
Oct 1, 2012, 09:59 AM
10.8.2 won't let me connect to an external monitor with the internal display off (clamshell mode without the clamshell :) )

I tried re-entering the terminal command followed by a restart, but no dice..anyone else seeing this?

Have you had this fixed?

my rMBP also is not working in clamshell mode when connected to an external monitor

Boston007
Oct 1, 2012, 10:35 AM
Opening up either produces a stupie message saying

An internal <Facetime/Messages> error has occurred. It needs to quit and restart.

or something like that. Click OK and it shutsdown. I restart either program and same error.

Apple tech hasn't been able to resolve the issue and no one on this forum either.

I really don't want to do a fresh re-install and for those two programs I don't plan to, sadly.

sammjordan
Oct 1, 2012, 07:48 PM
Have you had this fixed?

my rMBP also is not working in clamshell mode when connected to an external monitor

unfortunately not, but I did find a kind of work around. On my MBP, I don't close the lid all the way, instead leaving about 1 1/2 inches of space between the palm rest and the display lid. This engages clamshell mode, turning the internal display off. It enables me to get a great wifi signal, and I'm sure the heat dissipation is better then having the display closed. One caveat is that I'm on a 13" pro, don't know if it works on the rMBP :/

hexonxonx
Oct 1, 2012, 08:07 PM
Ok waited till today to try and update my Mountain Lion partition on my 2010 MB. Within about ten minutes, I started getting lockups with spinning wheels all over again. It's unusable for me. I rebooted and went back to my Lion partition. I'll try again next update.

iMAX386
Oct 2, 2012, 03:49 AM
If you guys had the option, would you wait until 10.8.3 and stay on Lion in the meantime or go ahead and download 10.8.2 even despite the faults you guys are discussing?

I'm still using 10.7 and was going to upgrade, but these issues makes me think it might be worth waiting till 10.8.3 came out and just stay on Lion. Are the pros of ML worth putting up with these bugs if someone's content with Lion for now?

bagelboy
Oct 2, 2012, 06:57 AM
If you guys had the option, would you wait until 10.8.3 and stay on Lion in the meantime or go ahead and download 10.8.2 even despite the faults you guys are discussing?

I'm still using 10.7 and was going to upgrade, but these issues makes me think it might be worth waiting till 10.8.3 came out and just stay on Lion. Are the pros of ML worth putting up with these bugs if someone's content with Lion for now?

In my opinion wait until the issues are fixed in ML. At least for me I am running 10.8.2 and its seriously buggy - some examples: Xcode crashes randomly, notes crashes upon opening (cant even use it), safari has strange web page glitches and scrolling is terrible, mail stops me from shutting down (I have to force quit) AND email comes through super slow compared with my iOS devices, I also have had random complete system freezes and have had to hardware force shutdown. These are just a few that come to mind. Generally I feel the OS is unstable. I was using 10.7.4 before which came installed on my rMBP and it was stable. I regret updating, however who was to know..

Cheers.

hexonxonx
Oct 2, 2012, 02:04 PM

I'm fine using Lion for however long it takes to get the ML bugs fixed. I have both Lion and ML installed in separate partitions so I can keep going back to ML with each update to try things out.

Lion reminds me of why I love Apple but ML reminds me of why I threw my last three HP laptops across the room breaking them into many pieces. I wanted to do that with a few Macs as well once or twice but the costs of each stopped me.

MacMan988
Oct 2, 2012, 10:24 PM
Shut down is very slow after installing 10.8.2

hexonxonx
Oct 3, 2012, 01:46 AM
Shut down is very slow after installing 10.8.2
That and the whole reboot process is entirely too slow.

ParryD
Oct 3, 2012, 07:59 AM
1) Low Battery Backup
Even as compared to 10.8.1. No where near to Lion (10.7.4).

2) Slow Boot Up
Almost 36secs to get to the log in screen & nearly 10-15secs from there on to the desktop.

3) Slow Shut Down
25-30secs for shutdown.

Krazy Bill
Oct 3, 2012, 08:21 AM
1) Low Battery Backup
Even as compared to 10.8.1. No where near to Lion (10.7.4)

2) Slow Boot Up
Almost 36secs to get to the log in screen & nearly 10-15secs from there on to the desktop.

3) Slow Shut Down
25-30secs for shutdown.

Same issues on my wife's new MBP. It came with Lion and I regret upgrading her to ML. She always sleeps her mac but the battery life is dismal. Sitting next to her in the same room she constantly gives me updates like, "100% an hour ago... now only 65%!.

Occasionally she'll add... "my $350 Dell was better!". She knows I get roughly 7 hours on my MBP but can't understand why her machine can't run Snow Leopard. (Says I'm lazy and lying. :D)

z06gal
Oct 3, 2012, 08:54 AM
same issues on my wife's new mbp. It came with lion and i regret upgrading her to ml. She always sleeps her mac but the battery life is dismal. Sitting next to her in the same room she constantly gives me updates like, "100% an hour ago... Now only 65%!.

Occasionally she'll add... "my $350 dell was better!". She knows i get roughly 7 hours on my mbp but can't understand why her machine can't run snow leopard. (says i'm lazy and lying. :d)

lol

aliensporebomb
Oct 3, 2012, 10:19 AM
I won't go into the things they removed from 10.8x (removal of some apache functionality for no good reason) but here's what I've found in 10.82:

-Mostly favorable: faster, seems like they focused a lot on transitions being faster or smoother.

-However, 10.82 introduced a new behavior where my machine would kernel panic (so far I believe this is the third time since 10.82 came out) whereas it never had kp'ed before 10.82.

-I also find that the CPU fan runs much faster/louder than it ever did before or disproportionately higher during medium/high cpu usage. 10.6, 10.7, 10.8-10.81 were all normal and 10.82 runs the cpu fan much faster. But not the superdrive fan or other fan in the iMac Corei7 2.8 ghz model.

buddybd
Oct 3, 2012, 12:18 PM
I'm pretty sure in my case the battery percentage goes down faster now, but the overall life is about the same.

Startups are definitely faster, and everything is slightly more smoother then before.

r0k
Oct 3, 2012, 12:29 PM
Anyone else had freezes after installing Mountain Lion? http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15760069#post15760069

I had an extended freeze yesterday evening. I was adding photos to a shared photostream and right in the middle of browsing photos everything except the mouse pointer froze. I was in a hurry and quickly got tired of waiting so I held the power button to reboot. I have 16 GB of 3rd party RAM in a late 2011 15.4 in hires MBP running 10.8.2.

I have not had any freezes on my mid 2010 mini (with 8 GB of third party RAM) running 10.8.2.

ParryD
Oct 3, 2012, 01:10 PM
I had an extended freeze yesterday evening.

Same here; my MBP 13" (Late 2011) bought in June 2012 with Lion 10.7.3. Upgraded to 10.7.4 and everything was smooth & perfect.

Since the time I have upgraded to ML 10.8 > 10.8.1 > 10.8.2; have experienced freeze thrice with nothing moving except the mouse.

r0k
Oct 3, 2012, 01:34 PM
Same here; my MBP 13" (Late 2011) bought in June 2012 with Lion 10.7.3. Upgraded to 10.7.4 and everything was smooth & perfect.

Since the time I have upgraded to ML 10.8 > 10.8.1 > 10.8.2; have experienced freeze thrice with nothing moving except the mouse.

Interesting. I'll keep my original RAM handy in case this keeps cropping up so when I go see the Geniuses about it, I don't get asked why I didn't use Apple RAM. :rolleyes:

I should note that when I was having frequent freezes with my 2008 MB, I took it in to a Genius Bar appointment and they rolled their eyes about the third party 4 GB of RAM I had at the time but they still plugged it in their network (it was so bad off, it couldn't even join the Apple's wide open wifi) and booted from their "known good" image to prove it was a problem with my software and or drive and not any of the other hardware on my machine. I pulled out the crappy Agility series SSD and took it back for a refund. No more freezes since then.

SandboxGeneral
Oct 3, 2012, 01:38 PM
Since 10.8.2 I've noticed a few weird things going on.

After the screensaver comes on and I want to get back to my desktop, I have to tap the power button on the back of the iMac. Moving/clicking the mouse or pressing keys on the keyboard don't do anything.

Preview also seems to lock up and won't always open a photo and instead bring up some dialog box. Then I have to Force Quit to get Preview to go away so I can try again.

Even Chrome has locked up briefly and then came back to life. Plus sometimes when I load Chrome it doesn't show up except for in the Dock. I have to go to the File menu to 'Open New Window' before I can start browsing.

I've restarted a few times thinking that may help, but it hasn't. I had none of these problems in 10.8.1.

And right now, I am trying to go to System Preferences -->Security & Privacy and it is locked up. :mad:

I'm going to send a note into Apple regarding these and hope they fix them in 10.8.3.

macuser1232
Oct 3, 2012, 04:56 PM
I had an extended freeze yesterday evening. I was adding photos to a shared photostream and right in the middle of browsing photos everything except the mouse pointer froze. I was in a hurry and quickly got tired of waiting so I held the power button to reboot. I have 16 GB of 3rd party RAM in a late 2011 15.4 in hires MBP running 10.8.2.

I have not had any freezes on my mid 2010 mini (with 8 GB of third party RAM) running 10.8.2.

Wow. If you want you should post what you just said in my post to help other people out. I have a 13 inch early 2011 MBP with i5 and 8gb of ram.

hexonxonx
Oct 3, 2012, 04:59 PM
From what I can tell, it seems the freezing and lockups are the most common problems. I could deal with the menu bar freezing up so that the time never updated in as much as a day but then the whole computer would start to freeze and lock up except for the mouse.

ellenicolle
Oct 3, 2012, 05:04 PM
Ditto! the battery life is so worse.. it's like its going down so fast..
i think snow leopard is the best :)

and some of my apps crash like i lost my CS5 Photoshop.. which is geez, i cant download it again.. and i need it.. :mad::mad:

same thing goes to the iOS 6 on my 4S, battery life not so good, thanks god i havent update my iPad iOs.. the iOS 5.1 is better i think :)

shurcooL
Oct 3, 2012, 05:19 PM
One thing that Apple should really catch up on is the security, namely the lack of a two-step authentication or equivalent.

I've got 2-step on Google and Dropbox, and it makes changing password very hassle free. I can see all the logged in sessions, and remotely log out any one. Changing password keeps all the logged in sessions up to date, and doesn't interfere with anything.

I've recently changed my iTunes/iCloud password. What a nightmare that was. Everything that relied on the account stopped working, and I had to re-enter the new password in like 10 places. My iMessages got disabled on my MBP and iPhone. FaceTime. iTunes login. Mac App Store login. It was such a hassle to check everywhere where I might need to relogin cuz it auto-logged everything out.

At the same time, this is the password I have to enter to Find Friends each time and to buy apps from App Stores, and it's the same password, if someone finds out, can remotely wipe both my MBP and iPhone.

Woodcrest64
Oct 3, 2012, 07:15 PM
My battery life was bad but since 10.8.2. and a SMC reset its been better. My only real complaint now is my computer sometimes has trouble waking from sleep. It will wake but sometimes is pauses for a quick sec and or my screen will go black again and I will need to re-wake my macbook.

Lundberg02
Oct 9, 2012, 01:51 AM
You can partition a USB drive for use with Recovery Assistant, but when you run RA it goes ahead and runs with the partition you created but destroys it. The partition can not be found with Disk Utility, even with the hidden partition tool. So I spent the money for a USB drive and got nada.

Lundberg02
Oct 12, 2012, 04:26 PM
My logitech C615 V2.2 software runs, but the update does not and it has been reported to Logitech with the crash log.

Lundberg02
Oct 16, 2012, 01:46 AM
The trial version of ACDSee Pro ignores all changes to the size and orientation on the Print Images page. It only prints horizontal at 1/4 size. Their tech support does not know what I'm talking about. I am assuming this is a 10.8.2 problem

----------
Logitech C615 Webcam
The version v2.2 that comes with camera operates correctly. The latest update crashes the app. The v 2.2 s/w description says 10.4-10.6 compatible. Again, their tech support no comprendo mas.

pasadian
Nov 12, 2012, 12:10 PM
I was able to retrieve copies of past email before the 10.8.2 upgrade, but no longer. I even tried the other HDD from my other MAC. Same problem existed on my 10.8.2 MAC but not my MAC with 10.8 [did not upgrade]. I am using Western Digitals My Book for MAC on both computers....