PDA

View Full Version : Just got my iBook, a few questions.

persianpunisher
Aug 18, 2005, 06:59 PM
My iBook came earlier than expected, a whole day! This this thing it great. VERY quick, and very easy to use. I have a few questions though

1. I am trying to install Limewire and when i click on the application, nothing happens. I have already repaired permissions, is there anything else i can do?

2. I have a USB thumb drive, is it ok for me to just unplug it, rather than eject it manually?

3. How do I exit dashboard, or is it always running? And I have like 12 widgets, is that fine, as in, too much?

4. How do you Cut and paste something? is it holding apple AND x or apple THEN x? Thanks

mad jew
Aug 18, 2005, 07:06 PM
Yay! New iBook. Congratulations. :)

1. I am trying to install Limewire and when i click on the application, nothing happens. I have already repaired permissions, is there anything else i can do?

You click it twice, right? Are you clicking it from the dock or from the Applications folder or from a white disk-looking folder on your hard drive?

2. I have a USB thumb drive, is it ok for me to just unplug it, rather than eject it manually?

Haven't tried anything other than dragging it to the trash (to eject).

3. How do I exit dashboard, or is it always running? And I have like 12 widgets, is that fine, as in, too much?

What do you mean by exit Dashboard? If you click anywhere but on an actual widget, you should be taken back to your desktop. Alternatively, hit your Dashboard assigned key (which is technically FN-F12 but I recommend changing it in the System Preferences to F8 as that key is currently unmapped on iBooks).

4. How do you Cut and paste something? is it holding apple AND x or apple THEN x? Thanks

Hold the two keys at the same time, not sequentially.

nsutt22
Aug 18, 2005, 07:09 PM
is it bad to have a lot of wigits?

GimmeSlack12
Aug 18, 2005, 07:10 PM
Sounds like you're new to Macintosh, welcome, I just ordered a 12" iBook today and can't wait to get it.

1) Limewire won't work? Hmmm, I would say reinstall the program, or you are not selecting the right file. Double click the icon? Not sure.

2)USB thumb drive, the iBook won't like it if you just pull it out. Ejecting it is the way it should be done. And if anything just try pulling it out, it will not physically hurt anything, it might hurt data on the thumb drive, so if you are going to try just pulling it out make sure there is nothing on it. The iBook will not be damaged though.

3)Dashboard loads the first time you use it during a session of computing. If you don't want it to load then remove turn off anyway of activating it. 12 Widgets is not too many, of course this varies with how much RAM you have.

4) Cut and paste on a Mac: Apple-C(opy) (Hold at the same time) ; Apple-P(aste) (again hold at the same time ; Apple-X (cut) ; and there a ton of other commands but you have to hold the keys at the same time.

mkrishnan
Aug 18, 2005, 07:10 PM
What do you mean by exit Dashboard? If you click anywhere but on an actual widget, you should be taken back to your desktop. Alternatively, hit your Dashboard assigned key (which is technically FN-F12 but I recommend changing it in the System Preferences to F8 as that key is currently unmapped on iBooks).

If I understand the OP correctly, you're right, Dashboard *is* always running in the background. The Widgets consume a fair amount of ram, but are able to cache out into virtual memory. So they won't be a big deal unless you have a very full HD. And as for having 12 running, they don't use up much in the way of resources while the DB isn't up... that's why a lot of them have to refresh themselves if you open the DB after a time when it hasn't been opened recently.

I would recommend not worrying about it. I think you'll also evolve your preferences for what widgets are useful and what are not. I know my DB is very different than when I first got Tiger. A lot of widgets lost my attention, and a few I hadn't wanted before have become very nice. :)

mad jew
Aug 18, 2005, 07:11 PM
Open widgets use up a lot of RAM even if you aren't actually looking at Dashboard. If things are seeming slow and you're getting a lot of beach balls, I recommend taking some of the widgets off Dashboard although you don't have to necessarily delete them. Just hold ALT of the widget and press the dark circle with a white cross in it. :)

persianpunisher
Aug 18, 2005, 07:19 PM
thanks folks. Yeah i am clicking the limewire app inside of a folder. Sorry, but is it possible to cut FOLDERs? I havent been able to, Thanks

besler3035
Aug 18, 2005, 08:01 PM
4) Cut and paste on a Mac: Apple-C(opy) (Hold at the same time) ; Apple-P(aste) (again hold at the same time ; Apple-X (cut) ; and there a ton of other commands but you have to hold the keys at the same time.

Yeah, you're wrong there. Apple-V is paste. Apple-P is print.

jiv3turkey748
Aug 18, 2005, 08:12 PM
THEN x? Thanks

limewire? youre not going to be breaking any laws are you? ;)
try acquisition (http://www.acquisitionx.com) instead

GimmeSlack12
Aug 18, 2005, 10:07 PM
Yeah, you're wrong there. Apple-V is paste. Apple-P is print.

OMG!!!! I don't believe I said that Apple-P is paste. I am soooo STUPID!!!
Ok, I'm over it, but yeah, wow, that was quite a mistake on my part.

Cindy
Aug 18, 2005, 10:23 PM
how do I get some of the widges off for good - trash them?

mkrishnan
Aug 18, 2005, 10:25 PM
how do I get some of the widges off for good - trash them?

They don't take up that much space, but if you really want to, the ones you installed yourself are in the library/widgets inside your home directory, and the default ones are in the /library/widgets directory inside the root of the hard drive. Just trash the widgets from there. Also for the ones that you installed, you can delete them using the Apple widget manager that's in the tray at the bottom where you add/remove widgets in Dashboard. :)

gregorydanger
Aug 18, 2005, 10:56 PM

I know this might sound stupid but have you tried restarting your iBook?