Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sonofmof

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2005
UK
Hi Guys,
I have the option to get a cube but the seller says it only has an ADC connector.

I thought the cubes came with ADC and VGA ports.

Any ideas if ADC only is a true configuration......

how easy is the graphics upgrade if I need a VGA port ?

Thanks
Chris

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It must have at least DVI or VGA. No graphics card came only with ADC. If it still has the stock card, it does have VGA and ADC. The cards are easy to replace, you just need to make sure to get one that is compatible with a Cube.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
If your (future) Cube will arrive with stock Rage, easiest upgrade is GF2 MX from Quicksilver. IIRC GF2 MX ports are perfectly fit original Cube graphics card sled. Such easy and cheap upgrade will give noticeable overall performance increase.
Other, more powerful cards will require some sleds modifications.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
If your (future) Cube will arrive with stock Rage, easiest upgrade is GF2 MX from Quicksilver. IIRC GF2 MX ports are perfectly fit original Cube graphics card sled. Such easy and cheap upgrade will give noticeable overall performance increase.
Other, more powerful cards will require some sleds modifications.

Correct. The GeForce MX 2 is the easiest card to upgrade to in the Cube. The faceplate from the Rage lines up as does the videocard bracket. The GerForce MX 2 was also a BTO option for the Cube.

sonofmof

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2005
UK
Thanks guys,

It is now MY cube !!

its the 450 version and looks original.

I think its got 192mb Ram and the mentioned 16mb rage card.

Is there a link for the quicksilver card ?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Any Mac GeForce MX 2 will work. It doesn't have to be a Quicksilver one. eBay is a good starting place to get a good idea of the price. The ram for those is cheap as well, 1.5GB shouldn't cost more than $25.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/1493242/

Third one.

But before buying, I'd recommend you to visit cubeowner.com for detailed info about cards and other upgrades and mods.
For example: if you don't plan on using ADC display and OS 9 - 10.3, your best choice would be XFX GF6200 WANG and flashing it with Mac (Cube tuned) ROM.

Congrats on purchase, Cube is true piece of art (I have 2 so far :))

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.