Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
A lot of people in the tech world and on this site are truly ungrateful spoiled brats who need to get a life. Furthermore, Gizmodo is a jerk pit, always was and always will be.

Never have I seen such bitchy, ungrateful people as I do surrounding the tech sites and this one, truly pathetic...

korbui

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
A lot of people in the tech world and on this site are truly ungrateful spoiled brats who need to get a life. Furthermore, Gizmodo is a jerk pit, always was and always will be.

Never have I seen such bitchy, ungrateful people as I do surrounding the tech sites and this one, truly pathetic...

Yeah, who wouldn´t be thankful for Apple for removing a perfectly good app to replace it with a piece of crap that has tons of work need just to be close to the one that they replaced:confused::confused:

sry... but it´s ok if Apple want to use their own Maps app but they really shouldn´t have removed Google maps unless their own app was ready which it is not...

drb1992

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2011
Yeah, who wouldn´t be thankful for Apple for removing a perfectly good app to replace it with a piece of crap that has tons of work need just to be close to the one that they replaced:confused::confused:

sry... but it´s ok if Apple want to use their own Maps app but they really shouldn´t have removed Google maps unless their own app was ready which it is not...
A perfectly good app? The old maps app sucked. It didn't even have turn by turn nav. I'm not saying the new Map app is perfect, but it is a hell of a lot better than the previous stock app.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles

Dude, it is OK to not like something Apple does and point out shortcomings.

AsianChexMix

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2009
It's really not too big of a deal for now for me. I just use Waze and have that as my turn by turn navigation. Hoping the new maps feature beats it but if not, Waze has been really nice for me.

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011
I just want people to have a WEEK with a phone to actually judge and compare. Unboxing is one thing.. But just opening it, and judging for the mere sake of trying to find something wrong with it is just redundant.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010

You do understand that the old maps is a free download.

It just amazes me the things people find to complain about.

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011
You do understand that the old maps is a free download.

It just amazes me the things people find to complain about.

Exactly. Just wait until Friday.. People wont even let their phone charge a full cycle without a LAUNDRY list of complaints

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
We're comparing a brand new app/map source to one that has been around for years and is the leading mapping setup on the web. Give it time, folks. As others have said, I believe you can download google maps and use that. I'm anxious to see what Apple can do with this over time. But realistically, the 3D map is something I'd never use anyway.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I must say that the mapping project Apple is in the midst of, is a very labor intense task.

I am _NOT_ an Apple apologist, but I do think people should be patient. Conversely, Apple's part in it is releasing it too early.

They could have waited until it was ready for prime time.

doomfront

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
I don't use Google maps that often, but it's damn good (on android at least).
Getting my first iphone friday so hopefully Google comes through with a stand alone app soon.

TheBuffather

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2009
Orlando, FL
A perfectly good app? The old maps app sucked. It didn't even have turn by turn nav. I'm not saying the new Map app is perfect, but it is a hell of a lot better than the previous stock app.

I completely agree. Google Maps was trash. No turn by turn, no voice, nothing. It was literally a way to BROWSE maps, and get a list of directions. The new Maps app blows Google Maps away in functionality. In terms of the shear volume of data, of course Google has more... for the time being. This will improve drastically over time, and I don't think it will be a long amount of time either. Just my two cents.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I completely agree. Google Maps was trash. No turn by turn, no voice, nothing. It was literally a way to BROWSE maps, and get a list of directions. The new Maps app blows Google Maps away in functionality. In terms of the shear volume of data, of course Google has more... for the time being. This will improve drastically over time, and I don't think it will be a long amount of time either. Just my two cents.

The thing I used maps for was to find businesses and add them as contacts. So long as the new one has access to a good database of businesses and the same functionality, I'll be happy.

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
It's unacceptable. I don't care if it's still new, it shouldn't have been shipped if it wasn't complete. I would have rather taken Google Maps and waited than received a half baked product that's supposed to headline as a major new feature. Yes it has more features than the old one but accuracy is what is more important, not how pretty it looks. Search around on twitter and you'll find people driving in completely wrong directions or getting lost with it. At least provide us with an option to use one or the other. I understand the licensing ran out. Pay for a temporary extension or pay just so your users are happy. Apple can afford it. I don't know why some users here are misinforming other users saying that the old maps app is available in the app store when it isn't.

Everyone yelled "It's still in beta!" when someone made a remark about the maps application before today. Well, guess what? It's not in beta anymore so what's the excuse?

Some here weren't around or don't remember when Apple revamped .Mac and screwed it up. Steve flipped his lid as we've learned later in the future. I get it, he's gone and the show must go on. The question is if Apple is still as strict with perfecting its products as its known to be. Regardless of how sympathetic you want to be because it's a new application or look at the bright side doesn't make it okay. If this was a Microsoft or Android launch everyone would be laughing.

TheBuffather

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2009
Orlando, FL
The thing I used maps for was to find businesses and add them as contacts. So long as the new one has access to a good database of businesses and the same functionality, I'll be happy.

I searched for about 15-20 different businesses/restaurants that I know of here in the Orlando area, and each one came up (good auto-suggest, too). Obviously, I've had less than a day with iOS 6 and the new Maps app, but so far it seems full of data points.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Important question: Is Apple only going to update Maps on an annual basis? Will there be intermittent updates?

Because if Maps needs that much work and we have to wait a year for it, that's sort of a big deal.

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
Important question: Is Apple only going to update Maps on an annual basis? Will there be intermittent updates?

Because if Maps needs that much work and we have to wait a year for it, that's sort of a big deal.

It's not stored on the phone so they can make changes at anytime. You pull the maps as you use them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.