PDA

View Full Version : 10.8.2: Facebook Integration (merged)

donster28
Sep 19, 2012, 02:47 PM
Is it just me or there is no Facebook integration on my MacBook Air 2011 with 10.8.2?

No options to set it in Preferences. :confused::confused:

Dhelsdon
Sep 19, 2012, 02:49 PM
Same boat -

I am a bit confused with game center, when I read the update info I understood that we could link facebook with it so that our facebook friends would show up in there and be able to send them requests from there.

I also don't have the Facebook synced with my contacts like it suggests, maybe I am completely missing this 'single sign on' for Facebook but I've looked through settings and I cannot find a place to enter my login info for facebook to OS X itself..

Personally I am having issues with the Game Center and facebook integration, My contacts aren't linked to Facebook, and I can't seem to add facebook friends to Game Center other then the two recommendations being displayed to me.

I could be missing something, as I have yet to see a 'single sign on' for facebook and stuff, maybe someone can shed some light on this?

Edit: Also, no notifications from Facebook in Notification Center.

PsstGreek
Sep 19, 2012, 02:50 PM
You have to set up facebook/twitter under "Mail" in system preferences. Took a few minutes for me to find it as well.

MikhailT
Sep 19, 2012, 02:50 PM
You guys went to System Preferences > Mail, Contacts & Calendars to add Facebook there?

Afbar1114
Sep 19, 2012, 02:52 PM
sorry worng post

Dhelsdon
Sep 19, 2012, 02:52 PM
Ah yes, I see it there, so far just have contacts listed in there.

donster28
Sep 19, 2012, 02:55 PM
You have to set up facebook/twitter under "Mail" in system preferences. Took a few minutes for me to find it as well.

You guys went to System Preferences > Mail, Contacts & Calendars to add Facebook there?

Wow! Thanks guys! This worked! :)

meme1255
Sep 19, 2012, 03:09 PM
No chat notifications ( I'm using instead it Facebook in iMess as Jabber) ? :(

Rossagues
Sep 19, 2012, 05:16 PM
I don't seem to be getting any notifications. What do this update bring focusing on the Facebook side.

Thanks,

Rossagues

aarmstrong27
Sep 19, 2012, 05:24 PM
I don't seem to be getting any notifications. What do this update bring focusing on the Facebook side.

Thanks,

Rossagues

Did you sign into your FaceBook in System Preferences->Mail, Contacts, & Calendars?

cschmelz
Sep 19, 2012, 05:38 PM
Did you sign into your FaceBook in System Preferences->Mail, Contacts, & Calendars?

Thanks! Guess that makes the most sense as a place to put the sign on info (had to think about it for a bit.....)

jbachandouris
Sep 19, 2012, 06:52 PM
I clicked on settings, mail, and tried to add Facebook to the list. iClould, Gmail, and Twitter are there. When I try to add Facebook it says the account already exits. What do I do?

whsbuss
Sep 19, 2012, 06:58 PM
Anyway to disable facebook contacts from syncing?

ravikc
Sep 19, 2012, 07:00 PM
Hi Guys - I updated all my devices to ios6 and my laptop to 10.8.2 and on my mobile devices I see a facebook events calendar but not on my desktop - how do I activate this?

Rossagues
Sep 19, 2012, 07:10 PM

Yeh done all that, i was just curious as to what im actually getting notifications about?

shurcooL
Sep 19, 2012, 07:14 PM
Anyway to disable facebook contacts from syncing?
Yes. Just uncheck Contacts here:

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/6972/imagewti.png

whsbuss
Sep 19, 2012, 07:42 PM
Yes. Just uncheck Contacts here:

Image (http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/6972/imagewti.png)

Thanks.... that includes no birthdays either?

shurcooL
Sep 19, 2012, 08:00 PM
Thanks.... that includes no birthdays either?
As far as I can tell, they're not there.

shurgie
Sep 19, 2012, 08:12 PM
Anyone not able to get rid of the sounds option on the Notification settings of Facebook?

On Messages it's a simple checkbox but nothing for Facebook, also I'm not getting notifications either.

mattraehl
Sep 19, 2012, 08:17 PM
kind of bummed about only one account at once

Watabou
Sep 19, 2012, 08:18 PM
It's not letting me log in. It says "Unable to verify account name or password". I am 100% sure I have my password right but for username, I tried entering my full email, my full name or my personal facebook url name but nothing works.

What did you guys use for the User Name field?

jbachandouris
Sep 19, 2012, 08:20 PM
Its the wildest thing, I tried adding Facebook several times only to be told by my Mac that the account already exists (although it wasn't showing up on the list). I went off to do other things, i.e., set up iPad 3 after upgrade to iOS 6, and now its on the list.:confused:

----------

It's not letting me log in. It says "Unable to verify account name or password". I am 100% sure I have my password right but for username, I tried entering my full email, my full name or my personal facebook url name but nothing works.

What did you guys use for the User Name field?

It wants your email address that you log into Facebook with.

Watabou
Sep 19, 2012, 08:24 PM
It wants your email address that you log into Facebook with.

For some reason, it just does not work. I log in with blahblah@gmail.com and I have typed that in numerous times, triple checked my password but it still says unable to verify. I can log out and log back in using the same user name and password on the browser but not in System Preferences.

Edit: Fixed it. I had to turn on apps on facebook. I had it turned off and apparently that disabled facebook integration.

Gryz
Sep 19, 2012, 09:16 PM
I'm getting the spinning beach ball whenever I try and click on Facebook in my Mail settings...
Have to keep force closing it. :confused:

bdgdoom
Sep 19, 2012, 09:56 PM
Facebook notifications are not working here. I tried to stop them and restart them. Nothing.

southerndoc
Sep 19, 2012, 10:45 PM
Can you just sync people that are already in your contacts list (like update their phone numbers and emails), or does it automatically add all of your Facebook friends to your address book?

Dhelsdon
Sep 19, 2012, 10:54 PM
Can you just sync people that are already in your contacts list (like update their phone numbers and emails), or does it automatically add all of your Facebook friends to your address book?

It adds them to a separate group in your contacts 'Facebook Contacts'

milk242
Sep 19, 2012, 10:57 PM
Wish my Facebook friends didn't show in FaceTime without me turning off contact sync. I hope they can add something for that.

hafr
Sep 20, 2012, 03:29 AM
Does notifications work for anyone?
---

As I posted that, I got a notification that someone had commented on my post in a group. Trying to figure this out, because I didn't get a notification when someone commented on a post I had commented on...

jackaz127
Sep 20, 2012, 03:42 AM
Could anybody please explain to me what does the facebook contacts sync do?
i am kind of worried cause i've read somewhere about it screwing up the contacts list by adding hundreads of @facebook.com emails.
all i want is to get the contacts pictures from their facebook profile pictures. :)

DeckMan
Sep 20, 2012, 07:04 AM
Sorry to disappoint, but it does indeed add the @facebook.com address to everyone who didn't manually disable it on their profile.

Other than that, it's really neat - it adds Facebook as a new server, next to iCloud and Local, so it doesn't add every Facebook contact to iCloud. It only updates the existing iCloud contacts with phone numbers, email addresses etc. from Facebook, plus the profile picture, unless the contact already has a different picture in your Address Book. You can also manually connect iCloud contacts with Facebook contacts if the names differ.

DeckMan
Sep 20, 2012, 07:33 AM
Also, notifications don't work for me either. Facebook is enabled in the Notification Center settings. Does anyone actually get Facebook notifications?

oMc
Sep 20, 2012, 07:40 AM
I just get a notification because my brother published something on my wall :

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/692/capturedecran20120920a0.png

However, I don't know if there is notifications if someone comment one of my post, like one of my post, etc...

megahertz
Sep 20, 2012, 08:06 AM
Any way to sync Facebook contacts ONLY if they have their number posted? I don't really want all these contacts with only an email..

oMc
Sep 20, 2012, 08:08 AM
No, you can't select. All FB contacts are imported.

hafr
Sep 20, 2012, 08:10 AM
Any way to sync Facebook contacts ONLY if they have their number posted? I don't really want all these contacts with only an email..

Nope. But you can go through them manually and merge/copy those who do, then just disable Contacts syncing to get rid of the Facebook contacts.

glenncal
Sep 20, 2012, 08:13 AM
Also, notifications don't work for me either. Facebook is enabled in the Notification Center settings. Does anyone actually get Facebook notifications?

Mine works for some notifications, but doesn't for incoming chat messages. I tried deleting the Facebook messenger app from my iPhone, then making sure that chat messages were off from the Facebook iPhone app (they were off for some reason).
At this point chat message notification started working, but then they stopped working again as soon as I installed and logged in to Facebook messenger again. I'm not sure if this was a coincidence or if Facebook Messenger is actually blocking message notifications

DeckMan
Sep 20, 2012, 08:21 AM
Thanks. So it does work, but only for some people. (There also used to be a lot more options for that, as seen on http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/18/mountain-lion-developer-preview-4-update-brings-new-facebook-notification-settings/)

Unless it has something to do with other settings on Facebook o.O

sam.walker22
Sep 20, 2012, 09:12 AM
I dont get notifications for likes or messages but I do for commenting on pics, posted to timeline, etc...

Is this the same for everyone?

shurgie
Sep 20, 2012, 09:14 AM
Thanks. So it does work, but only for some people. (There also used to be a lot more options for that, as seen on http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/18/mountain-lion-developer-preview-4-update-brings-new-facebook-notification-settings/)

Unless it has something to do with other settings on Facebook o.O

Working now for me, I have no idea how but it is. Still no update on the sound option though but I haven't seen it update. I got a notification from a comment almost instantly too it's pretty quick.

PsstGreek
Sep 20, 2012, 09:20 AM
I dont get notifications for likes or messages but I do for commenting on pics, posted to timeline, etc...

Is this the same for everyone?

Yeah, I'm not getting any either. Maybe you need to post something from notifications, then you'll get them?

manutd27
Sep 20, 2012, 10:41 AM
Hi Guys - I updated all my devices to ios6 and my laptop to 10.8.2 and on my mobile devices I see a facebook events calendar but not on my desktop - how do I activate this?

Second this.

Anyone found a fix?

----------

With regards to Contacts:

On both 10.8.2 (and iOS6 if you're wondering), Sync with facebook - but to remove them from your contacts list load Contacts > View > Groups > Select "All iCloud". This will remove all annoying facebook contacts.

(on iOS6 - simply click Groups and uncheck Facebook)

hafr
Sep 20, 2012, 10:50 AM
Second this.

Anyone found a fix?

There is no fix because you can't sync Facebook with Calendar in OS X. But if you go to Events in Facebook, then Export, you can subscribe to your Facebook calendar. Just make sure to make it local, or your events will be double on the iPhone.

benpop
Sep 20, 2012, 10:52 AM
I'm not getting ANY notifications either. Added facebook under preferences and checked if notifications are setup. I deleted it, readded it .. nothing.
I'm also not seeing any options like in the preview of ML 10.8.2

This is frustrating.

manutd27
Sep 20, 2012, 10:55 AM
There is no fix because you can't sync Facebook with Calendar in OS X. But if you go to Events in Facebook, then Export, you can subscribe to your Facebook calendar. Just make sure to make it local, or your events will be double on the iPhone.

Ahh I see. This does seem a little strange on Apple's behalf. They've introduced it for iOS6, but not for OS X. Therefore my iPhone now has all Facebook events synced to its iCal (which is really useful), but my Macbook's iCal doesn't! Apple?

drewyboy
Sep 20, 2012, 10:57 AM
I'm bang'n my head here. I can't believe how limited the fb integration is in regards to contacts. I simply want FB to update the info on my CURRENT icloud contacts. I don't want all my fb friends in my contacts. I'm sick of seeing so and so's bday tomorrow. FB is for old friends and acquaintances, so I don't care about their bday. It'd be a lot nicer to if the FB info that is grabbed by my iCloud contacts actually was imported and not just a "layer" that is taken away as soon as I turn of the FB contacts integration. ARG!

GER-pbr
Sep 20, 2012, 11:01 AM
I'm not getting ANY notifications either. Added facebook under preferences and checked if notifications are setup. I deleted it, readded it .. nothing.
I'm also not seeing any options like in the preview of ML 10.8.2

This is frustrating.

Same here. I'm not sure whether the lack of notifications is Apple's or Facebook's fault.
Still, I would love to see the options pane and customize this as was possible in the betas.

Yeah, frustrating, I think that's the word.

NT1440
Sep 20, 2012, 11:01 AM
I'm bang'n my head here. I can't believe how limited the fb integration is in regards to contacts. I simply want FB to update the info on my CURRENT icloud contacts. I don't want all my fb friends in my contacts. I'm sick of seeing so and so's bday tomorrow. FB is for old friends and acquaintances, so I don't care about their bday. It'd be a lot nicer to if the FB info that is grabbed by my iCloud contacts actually was imported and not just a "layer" that is taken away as soon as I turn of the FB contacts integration. ARG!

I'm sure this was one of FB's terms for the deal they made. Just like they gave everyone a ****ing @facebook email without asking, they problem gave apple the all or nothing option for contacts.

It is really annoying that some of my friends use fake names on facebook (as if they're twelve years old) and now when looking through my contacts I have to figure out who is who.

drewyboy
Sep 20, 2012, 11:20 AM
I'm sure this was one of FB's terms for the deal they made. Just like they gave everyone a ****ing @facebook email without asking, they problem gave apple the all or nothing option for contacts.

It is really annoying that some of my friends use fake names on facebook (as if they're twelve years old) and now when looking through my contacts I have to figure out who is who.

AAAAAHHHHHH!!! Rage. I f'n hate you FB. I have no way to merge the FB contacts w/ the iCloud contacts to keep the information fb provides w/o having to manually add it.

Rossagues
Sep 20, 2012, 11:59 AM
I get no notifications or any settings to change anything.. I am not happy!

NT1440
Sep 20, 2012, 12:00 PM
I get no notifications or any settings to change anything.. I am not happy!

Have you set up FB integration in setting yet?

jffluis
Sep 20, 2012, 12:02 PM
Yesterday I was receiving notifications. Today I'am not :(

Rossagues
Sep 20, 2012, 12:04 PM
Have you set up FB integration in setting yet?

Yeh, I got one notification from a favourite user.. thats it.. few picture comments have not come up! How hard is it really to implement this seriously!?

NT1440
Sep 20, 2012, 12:12 PM
Yeh, I got one notification from a favourite user.. thats it.. few picture comments have not come up! How hard is it really to implement this seriously!?

While I admit it is frustrating, the italicized....geez man do you understand how complicated facebook is? :eek:

Rossagues
Sep 20, 2012, 12:20 PM
While I admit it is frustrating, the italicized....geez man do you understand how complicated facebook is? :eek:

I just expect simple little notifications to work to be honest!

cocky jeremy
Sep 20, 2012, 01:11 PM
Anyone else having this problem.. i GET my Facebook notifications on my iMac, but when i click them, they just disappear. Nothing else happens. It doesn't take me to Facebook or anything. It just closes.

EDIT: I had to delete Facebook from mail, then re-add it. (I had the developer preview installed before 10.8.2)

nyolc8
Sep 21, 2012, 04:48 AM
With the Developer facebook package, we were able to specify which kind of notifications we want from facebook (the setting panel was there, but not worked, I know). Now with 10.8.2, the option is not there... i don't know what kind of notifications should I get, and it's really bad that I can't specify which kind of notification I want. :confused:

Bloomedis
Sep 21, 2012, 07:05 AM
I've done the single sign-on in Mail, Contacts & Calendar, but I'm only getting Contacts, and the Facebook section in the Notifications preference pane won't show me any options for notifications or anything at all.

I just clean installed 10.8.2 and I still have the same issue.

http://i48.tinypic.com/svh1lv.png

rtilani
Sep 21, 2012, 07:50 AM
I can deal with only Contacts (for now hopefully) and no options to select which Facebook activities I want notifications for. But I have a bigger problem. I'm not getting any notifications at all. Finally, this morning, I got ONE. But no more since then. Worse yet, whenever I post something from Notification Center, it takes 15 minutes for it to show up on my profile. And then it seems to disappear randomly for a while. And even though Facebook tells me 3 people liked my post, only one like shows up when I take a closer look. This is all just so random!

Anybody else experiencing any of the same symptoms? Anybody found a fix?

NazgulRR
Sep 21, 2012, 07:54 AM
Where is the Calendar sync option??? We got it on iOS 6.0, why is it missing on OSX 10.8.2.??

oMc
Sep 21, 2012, 08:30 AM
I've done the single sign-on in Mail, Contacts & Calendar, but I'm only getting Contacts, and the Facebook section in the Notifications preference pane won't show me any options for notifications or anything at all.

I just clean installed 10.8.2 and I still have the same issue.

Image (http://i48.tinypic.com/svh1lv.png)

I think we are all in the same boat ;)

pedrofan
Sep 21, 2012, 11:14 AM
The same here. I'm not getting facebook notifications at all. And I think that twitter neither.

cmChimera
Sep 21, 2012, 05:02 PM
Ok I'm getting notifications, but I want to get this straight. I can't select what things I want facebook to notify me of?

Edit: Didn't see oMc post.

Tartarus
Sep 21, 2012, 08:55 PM
ok, so i updated to 10.8.2, and i could not for the life of me, figure out how to sign in to Facebook, apple advertised it as "single facebook sign in"
If you cant figure out how to sign in, i found the easiest way, is to click the share button in safari and click Facebook. then it takes you to system preferences, and boom, you have post to facebook from NC and the other cool stuff.

sorry if im just overly stupid tonight but to mei couldnt figure out how to sign in.

just helping anyone who's dumb like me.

nyolc8
Sep 22, 2012, 03:16 AM
I'm getting facebook notifications, but it's totally random... 30min ago I get notification that I have a message on facebook. I replied to it. Then after 10min I got another message on facebook, from the same person, but I didn't get notification about that...

vodkaPT
Sep 22, 2012, 09:30 AM
Apple made a awful work here.

My facebook account has double protection, after put the password in a new device, I need to put a second code, generate by mobile app or receive by SMS.

Because of this, I'm unable to connect Facebook to ML. ML is not prepare to handle with this double check.

I'll not reduce my protection because Apple don't know how to properly integrate something.

Gemütlichkeit
Oct 24, 2012, 09:13 AM
Where is the Calendar sync option??? We got it on iOS 6.0, why is it missing on OSX 10.8.2.??

I too am looking for this. Weird that it's on iOS but not 10.8.2