Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcmc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
I have absolutely hated Siri until now because it has been worse than useless. I mean really, it's a bind to use, it's been so bad that really not having it at all would have been better.

How is anyone finding the advertised improvements in iOS6? I have just been having a fiddle and am not at all impressed.

It still mishears simple words from my not especially hard to understand accent. It just cannot get Lisa for example. I try it to see how it links in with directions on Maps. It tells me that there is no address for Lisa (plus family name) despite the card being displayed on the screen and asks if I want to add it. I do but it doesn't save and asks me again next time.

I try the sports stuff. I ask "What is the next fixture for Glasgow Rangers (my team)?" I get a fixture today for an American sports team called the Rangers (not sure who they are, sorry) I try Glasgow Celtic and I get what i assume is the Boston Celtics fixture instead. It works with Liverpool, correctly telling me their next game. It has no clue what Internazionale is. It gives me Barcelona's weekend score, I ask about the Champions League fixtures from tonight and last night and it doesn't know what the Champions League is.

Restaurants locally kind of come up though Yelp doesn't look too useful here.

My main bone of contention is that despite it being able to do new things to varying degrees of success, the core technology behind Siri still seems to be pretty poor.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
In America, a fixture is something you turn in the bathroom sink to get water out of it. What is a fixture??:confused:

lepeos

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2012
You're obviously Scottish and probably from Glasgow. No one I know here can get Siri to work 'like in the ads'. I'm from Ireland and it can't understand me either.

I guess the good news is that if you were caught talking to your phone in Glasgow, you'd be murdered.

jcmc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
In America, a fixture is something you turn in the bathroom sink to get water out of it. What is a fixture??:confused:

Really, you wouldn't recognise the term fixture to represent a sporting encounter between two teams?

----------

You're obviously Scottish and probably from Glasgow. No one I know here can get Siri to work 'like in the ads'. I'm from Ireland and it can't understand me either.

I guess the good news is that if you were cuaght talking to your phone in Glasgow you'd be murdered.

I am from Glasgow but I have lived away from there for 20 years. Even when i was living there few people thought I was a native of the place.

It's really terrible, it can't discern between scores and scorers - words with different numbers of syllables. On the iPad it is much worse at picking up what I say that the Dictation feature seemed to be.

jcmc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
Not a term used in the US much.

Which is fair enough, but you would know what it meant. Siri knows what it means, it just isn't smart enough to work out what fixtures you are trying to get in what competition and on what date.

specops

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
I have never heard of Fixture used in that manner, try using it without that word and see if it helps, remember Siri is a work in progress there are almost an unlimited amount of slang/accents in the world thanks to the Human way of evolution so it takes some time for Siri to learn all of it. Obviously there are going to be growing pains with first or second Gen technology but it will benefit us all in the future after they work out the bugs.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
Yeah, 'fixture' does not mean a sporting event in US English. I have never in my life heard it used that way. We refer to a competition between two sports teams as either a 'game' or a 'match' typically, with game being predominant for football, hockey and baseball, though baseball will get the added 'ball' to make it 'ballgame' often. Tennis, soccer (your football), boxing, golf, are typically referred to as a 'match', but soccer can also take 'game' regularly.

Only other words that are regularly used would be 'scrimmage' for an informal game that does not count for anything, or is played between two sides of the same team, and, sometimes there's more colorful language used, such as 'tilt' which can also be used, usually in brodcasting or reporting, to mean a game. But I've never, ever heard 'fixture'.

I have heard others outside the US having not so great success with SIri. I've had relatively good luck over the past year, though occasionally she'll mishear or just give me something completely stupid.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
Which is fair enough, but you would know what it meant. Siri knows what it means, it just isn't smart enough to work out what fixtures you are trying to get in what competition and on what date.

I'd ask you to clarify what a "fixture" meant even if we were talking face to face. But I'm not sure if Siri understands slang or word/definition differences in various versions of English. If I watch Snatch I have the damnedest time understanding them. ;). I too watch a lot of British shows and movies.

jcmc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
What I said above, we're drifting away from the point here.

Siri 'understands' what a fixture is, it is hardly an obscure term out of the US and would apply in every single European language Siri supports. And while you would not expect Siri to have every single term in the world, they are advertising this as including sports updates and this is a normal sports terms. It did successfully tell me the correct forthcoming Liverpool fixture.

Anyway, the issues are different. The wrong fixtures with the Glasgow teams being taken as US sports teams because they have a Rangers and Celtic in their names - this despite me specifically saying Glasgow beforehand. An inability to recognise other major European football clubs. An inability to recognise the continent's biggest football competition - the Champions League.

And these issues came from nothing like any sort of intensive testing. They are using Yahoo Sportacular to provide information cards and this is a horrible app that presents information in an American style, totally alien to European football fans.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Really, you wouldn't recognise the term fixture to represent a sporting encounter between two teams?

Do you know for a fact that Siri has been localized enough to know that? I, as a human being, can think critically and deductively, and can figure out that's probably what you meant by "fixture". Siri, OTOH, cannot reason in that way.

Maybe Siri is localized to that point, IDK. I have a hearing loss, and I had a Scottish friend and sometimes had the hardest time understanding her, even though her accent, while obviously Scottish, wasn't so thick that most people had an issue. Think of Siri like that.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Do you have Siri in English UK and not US? Siri tries to discern different words meanings w/ different language settings.

Also, the problem w/ the sports teams could be because Siri is US based for the extra features and having teams with similar names it will tend to pick the one most people would want to see.

I have Siri in Spanish (US) and I tried for the Champions League by asking "cuando es el proximo juego de la liga los campeones" and got the table of the BBVA games. I think it just doesn't have access to all world sports games yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.