PDA

View Full Version : A gave me his iPhone 4S (CDMA) to punch my # in, but walked off and left it with me..

ButcherChop
Sep 19, 2012, 07:53 PM
I'm at a gay bar in Los Angeles (already a great story, i know), in the parking lot getting out of a car actually, and this really hot drunk dude walks up and wants my #. He's too drunk to put my # on his iPhone 4S work phone (CDMA/Verizon) so he hands me his phone so I can do it. His ride is tired of waiting and he starts driving off. This guy walks fast after him, I continue putting my # in, I look up and he's gone. I figure he forgot and he'll call his phone almost instantly but doesnt. He doesnt call that night, nor for a whole week. Finally his dad calls his phone and i pick up. I tell him I have his son's phone. I give the dad my personal cell # and the son finally calls me 2 days later and I tell him he can pick it up anytime. After telling him I live 90 miles from him, he sounds uninterested in coming to get it. I tell him I can always mail it to him and he says, "well, let me talk to my IT guy". He calls me back a few hours later and tells me his IT guy already ordered him a new phone and he's in no hurry to get this phone back. He actually says, "well, I don't know, maybe I guess I'll just get it whenever I see you again". WIth that said, I don't feel like holding it or being responsible for his phone, its not like Im going to take it with me everytime I go out. I don't know where he works, his dad called from a private # and the phone is pin locked so I have no access to his contacts. It's been about 2 months now.

With that said, what should I do? I feel like jailbreaking the phone, but a CDMA phone wouldnt do me any good since I'm on AT&T. Plus, it's just a jailbreak and not a root, if it were an Android phone I probably would of already rooted it. I can use it as an iTouch and replace my 3GS with it. Maybe sell it on Craigslist.

What should I do?

wellok
Sep 19, 2012, 07:56 PM
Mail it to the company. I imagine you can figure out the company from the email or other info on the phone.

GeekLawyer
Sep 19, 2012, 07:59 PM
Give it to Verizon or Sprint, whichever is the carrier.

iamjose
Sep 19, 2012, 08:04 PM
I'm at a gay bar in Los Angeles (already a great story, i know) and this really hot drunk dude walks up and wants my #. He's too drunk to put my # on his iPhone 4S work phone (CDMA/Verizon) so he hands me his phone so I can do it. His ride is tired of waiting and he starts driving off. This guy walks fast after him, I continue putting my # in, I look up and he's gone. I figure he forgot and he'll call his phone almost instantly but doesnt. He doesnt call that night, nor for a whole week. Finally his dad calls his phone and i pick up. I tell him I have his son's phone. The son finally calls me 2 days later and I tell him he can pick it up anytime. After telling him I live 90 miles from him, he sounds uninterested in coming to get it. I tell him I can always mail it to him and he says, "well, let me talk to my IT guy". He calls me back a few hours later and tells me his IT guy already ordered him a new phone and he's in no hurry to get this phone back. He actually says, "well, I don't know, maybe I guess I'll just get it whenever I see you again". WIth that said, I don't feel like holding it or being responsible for his phone, its not like Im going to take it with me everytime I go out. I don't know where he works, his dad called from a private # and the phone is pin locked so I have no access to his contacts. It's been about 2 months now.

With that said, what should I do? I feel like jailbreaking the phone, but that wouldnt do me any good. Its just a jailbreak and not a root, if it were an Android phone I probably would of already rooted it. I can use it as an iTouch and replace my 3GS with it. Maybe sell it on Craigslist.

What should I do?

Any post like this is going to get a bunch of responses from Dudley Do-Rights telling you about karma and what not...

in order to save you from the headache and hassle, just give it to me. I have an iphone 4 with a cracked screen and didnt really want ($$$) to upgrade to an iphone 5. That way, you get some good karma, giving it to someone who could use it, and you won't get bad karma for accidentally stealing (borrowing) some drunk guys iphone.

fair?

sviato
Sep 19, 2012, 08:10 PM
just sell it at this point, it was a company phone and the other guy doesn't seem to care about getting it back

macMD
Sep 19, 2012, 09:17 PM
Ship it back to him, karma is a bitch and she usually kicks you right in the sack.:apple:

MR1324
Sep 19, 2012, 09:21 PM
it sounds like he was trying to hint that he was interested in seeing you. he did say" I'll just get it whenever I see you again," so i am guessing he was hoping you would ask him out.

Eddyisgreat
Sep 19, 2012, 09:25 PM
He calls me back a few hours later and tells me his IT guy already ordered him a new phone and he's in no hurry to get this phone back. He actually says, "well, I don't know, maybe I guess I'll just get it whenever I see you again". WIth that said, I don't feel like holding it or being responsible for his phone, its not like Im going to take it with me everytime I go out. I don't know where he works, his dad called from a private # and the phone is pin locked so I have no access to his contacts. It's been about 2 months now.

Done deal. You tried to get it back to him but he has to make the moves. If you told him you could mail it to him, did he give you his address? Even then, as you said you're under no obligation to go out of your way to return this property to this guy if he doesn't want to expend the effort. If I lost my gear and someone went out of their way to find me, i'd send them postage + enough for a nice meal and a pack of smokes. I say enjoy your new iPhone 4S. If he doesn't want it back there ain't nothing you can do.

aquadisiac
Sep 19, 2012, 09:27 PM
Any post like this is going to get a bunch of responses from Dudley Do-Rights telling you about karma and what not...

in order to save you from the headache and hassle, just give it to me. I have an iphone 4 with a cracked screen and didnt really want ($$$) to upgrade to an iphone 5. That way, you get some good karma, giving it to someone who could use it, and you won't get bad karma for accidentally stealing (borrowing) some drunk guys iphone.

fair?

prove it.

iamjose
Sep 19, 2012, 10:00 PM
prove it.

Prove what exactly?

dgamer1
Sep 19, 2012, 10:03 PM
Congrats, this person now is stalking you through find my iPhone and is outside your window right now :O!

chris2k5
Sep 19, 2012, 10:05 PM
Track him down. You two were meant for each other!

This guys is actually a GENIUS! He made sure you have his phone so there is a good chance you'll meet him again.

;)

greytmom
Sep 19, 2012, 10:07 PM
A very convoluted (and potentially expensive) pick up line.

aquadisiac
Sep 19, 2012, 10:07 PM
Prove what exactly?

im not even going to bother if you dont get it :confused:

Chuck-Norris
Sep 19, 2012, 10:12 PM
just keep it he doesnt give a hoot and gettign a new phone

do whatever u wish, just restore it, wipeit and use it

karma eh, what would happen

Nikos
Sep 19, 2012, 10:18 PM
You've already made more than an effort to get it back to him and two months have passed. He obviously doesn't care to get it back and already has a replacement. Use it, sell it or do whatever you wish with it.

austinguy23
Sep 19, 2012, 10:46 PM
You've already made more than an effort to get it back to him and two months have passed. He obviously doesn't care to get it back and already has a replacement. Use it, sell it or do whatever you wish with it.

Agreed. You offered to mail it and he declined so just sell it on Craigslist.

iamjose
Sep 20, 2012, 12:55 AM
im not even going to bother if you dont get it :confused:

Here you go... If that is what you meant.

TM WAZZA
Sep 20, 2012, 01:40 AM
Thread delivers.

kannesss
Sep 20, 2012, 01:50 AM
I would just sell it on Craigslist unless you like him. He might think its cute that you saved it for him.

ET iPhone Home
Sep 20, 2012, 02:11 AM
Is there a photo of the drunk dude that left you his iPhone in PHOTOS, or is that not permitted?

aztooh
Sep 20, 2012, 02:27 AM
Mail it to the company. I imagine you can figure out the company from the email or other info on the phone.

Is there a photo of the drunk dude that left you his iPhone in PHOTOS, or is that not permitted?

He said right in the post that the phone is locked.
---------------------------------------------------------------

For those saying to use it or sell it....the guy didn't care about getting it back because it wasn't his, it was his employers. I'd imagine they reported the phone lost in the process of getting the replacement. Most likely not going to be able to activate it.

My vote also goes to giving it to iamjose

Built
Sep 20, 2012, 02:30 AM
I was at Here in Weho and I literally look down and there's an iPhone at my feet. I turn it in to the bartender, and probably an hour later, when I'm in a completely different area of the bar, I see some guy wandering around lookimg at the floor. Something told me to ask him if he lost a phone. He did and I directed him back to the bartender who had it.

I just wonder how many iPhones are lost/stolen/recovered in a place like Here...and how many are just pocketed by whoever finds them. Personally, even if the hot mess that you met gave you his phone, the right thing to do is return it. But that's just me.

BTW, "hot" and "drunk" cancel each other out. The guy sounds like a real prince.

ButcherChop
Sep 20, 2012, 02:55 AM
BTW, "hot" and "drunk" cancel each other out. The guy sounds like a real prince.

Haha. Well, it was at a beer bust and the whole point of those is to drink a lot, plus he was only like 30 so he gets a pass. If he were like 50 and drunk as hell, that'd be a different story.

And you're right about finding phones. This is like the 6th iPhone I have found out and about in the past 3-4 years. I have some serious luck with these things. #drunkbitches (both male and female).

Let's Sekuhara!
Sep 20, 2012, 03:02 AM
1. DFU restore.
2. Post on ebay.
3. Let the buyer figure out how to connect it to whatever CDMA network.
4. Move on with your life.

Built
Sep 20, 2012, 03:24 AM
Haha. Well, it was at a beer bust and the whole point of those is to drink a lot, plus he was only like 30 so he gets a pass. If he were like 50 and drunk as hell, that'd be a different story.

LMAO...You got some low standards there, bro. LOL

30 and drunk AND not even realizing you lost your phone for 2 days = hot mess.

iamjose
Sep 20, 2012, 04:19 AM
I should mention I live in the Los Angeles Area if that helps persude the OP....:o

Blueline29
Sep 20, 2012, 04:39 AM
I vote for giving it to iamjose as well. The guy clearly doesn't care too much about getting his phone back; this way, someone would get it who truly would appreciate it. :)

Dandrews524
Sep 20, 2012, 04:48 AM
you should bang that dude super hard

indianboynyc
Sep 20, 2012, 05:14 AM
I don't believe you really have his phone! send it to me and let me be the judge of it

kvizzel
Sep 20, 2012, 05:14 AM
this is...
awkward

do a giveaway! lol

nfl46
Sep 20, 2012, 05:25 AM
Keep it. You should have asked him out on a date though.

aquadisiac
Sep 20, 2012, 05:39 AM

Here you go... If that is what you meant.

awwww yes OP please give it to this guy

bigjnyc
Sep 20, 2012, 08:49 AM
I would call him one last time and tell him that you are going to get rid of the phone if he doesnt make arrangements to pick it up in the next week. If you dont hear back from him then you've done your due diligence... Just sell it or do with it what you will.

Interstella5555
Sep 20, 2012, 08:54 AM
This is a new twist, usually I give people my number in a bar, but giving them my phone? Pure genius.

greytmom
Sep 20, 2012, 08:54 AM
Ok, I'm with the "Jose needs a new phone" group.

applesith
Sep 20, 2012, 09:02 AM
You should go back that bar/club and do the same thing to someone else with the phone. Let it be a cycle!

mcrain
Sep 20, 2012, 09:08 AM
You should go back that bar/club and do the same thing to someone else with the phone. Let it be a cycle!

Now that's funny! Pay it forward!

TJ61
Sep 20, 2012, 09:24 AM

Sounds like you could still get the phone, Jose...if you want it bad enough!

[head starts bobbin' to the thumpin' house beat]

Regards,
Tom

Jane333
Sep 20, 2012, 09:56 AM
I would text him one last time to make sure he does not want the phone back so you have something in writing. He probably had insurance on the phone and has made a claim. Most insurance plans cover stolen, but not lost, phones and to make a claim he may have to file a police report. If they tracked the phone back to you, it would be nice to have something in writing stating that he knows you have the phone and is letting you keep it.

Kissaragi
Sep 20, 2012, 10:09 AM
That guy must have been seriously drunk to do that.

sviato
Sep 20, 2012, 10:17 AM
He doesn't know karma though, he's gay, remember?

Anyone else interpret this sentence to mean Karma, as in a stripper name? I'd assume it would be a common female stripper name, hence the OP indeed may not know karma.

Deedolito
Sep 20, 2012, 10:21 AM
Sounds like you could still get the phone, Jose...if you want it bad enough!

[head starts bobbin' to the thumpin' house beat]

Regards,
Tom

You just made my day! :D

RenoG
Sep 20, 2012, 10:28 AM
Give the phone to Jose already......