Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roccobladr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
Ever since this update I feel that Siri sounds a little muffled like shes got a stuffy nose or something.

But sirisly (ok im done) has anyone noticed that she sounds a little "off". I first noticed it while trying out the turn by turn navigation in Maps, but then I tried Siri on my girls new ipad and siri sounds muffled once again!

Am i going crazy or does anyone else notice this?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I was just using turn-by-turn a little while ago and Siri sounded the same to me as it did in iOS 5; at least I think so anyway.

Flash69

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Austin, TX
You are not going crazy.

I noticed it the very first time she replied to my question. She sounds more computer like. Yes I know that sounds odd, however something with her voice has changed for the worst. Before most of her words were more polished, now they sound exactly like a 1980s computer game voice.

DrakeMcEachern

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
You're not crazy! I was just about to make a post about this. She doesn't sound right at all. I think this is just a glitch and will be smoothed out soon since everyone isn't experiencing the problem.

roccobladr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
wow ok glad its not just me!

and for the record I was using:

iPhone 4S ATT 16gb
New iPad 16gb wifi

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
yeah asking the same question on the iphone vs the ipad results in two different voice qualities for me. at first i just thought it was the ipad speaker that made it muffled somehow, but the overall voice is definitely more robotic.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Mine 'seems' ok.

Ive always wanted siri to sound like the computer of star trek. {Majel Barrett}

Instead as a Uk user I get what sounds like a Butler !! :rolleyes:

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I noticed she sounds different too. Like a lower bit rate, and definitely more synthesized.

Do Siri's words get sent OTA from Apple, like a streaming audio file?

If so, I could see Apple nudging down the bit rate on her voice to save some bandwidth and speed up her replies, which do seem to be a little faster than pre-6.

ryanide

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
yep, but she doesn't know why!!

Maybe she has a cold... But definitely sounds worse.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Guys the low quality Siri voice has been covered many times before.

When you install a new version of IOS or set up a new iPhone/Ipad for the first time, Siri starts off with a low quality voice, seems to have fewer responses, and is a little slower.

After the OS/device has been activated for a little while, usually within 24hrs, I think it does an update from Apple's servers which switches it to the high quality voice along with quicker more detailed responses.

Its normal and Ive noticed it every time, because the initial voice sounds so poor. Its fine.

Flash69

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Austin, TX
Guys the low quality Siri voice has been covered many times before.

When you install a new version of IOS or set up a new iPhone/Ipad for the first time, Siri starts off with a low quality voice, seems to have fewer responses, and is a little slower.

After the OS/device has been activated for a little while, usually within 24hrs, I think it does an update from Apple's servers which switches it to the high quality voice along with quicker more detailed responses.

Its normal and Ive noticed it every time, because the initial voice sounds so poor. Its fine.

Thank you sir. I didn't know that. I will test more today.

Adamfarmiloe

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
It's been 48 hours and iPad 3 sounds crap I revived iPhone 5 today that sounds crap too good job that I am understanding not a galaxy 3 convert whose voice is excellent come on apple GET IT SORTED

Squid7085

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Like Sir Ruben said, it appears this voice is the "pre loaded" voice, which probably is localized for all countries, it seems Siri downloads a much better localized voice in the first few days. There is a LOT of people updating phones, give it some time, at least she WORKS while the voice is being updated.

Bodycalming

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2009
London.
Ever since this update I feel that Siri sounds a little muffled like shes got a stuffy nose or something.

But sirisly (ok im done) has anyone noticed that she sounds a little "off". I first noticed it while trying out the turn by turn navigation in Maps, but then I tried Siri on my girls new ipad and siri sounds muffled once again!

Am i going crazy or does anyone else notice this?

Yes my UK Siri sounded "Muffled" (Build Week 35). This Evening I took it back to the Apple Store and got a replacement iPhone 5. Back home now all setup again, the replacement sounds just the same "Muffled" or Drunk. :mad: After reading this thread, it had better improve overnight or it will go back for a full refund! :mad: :mad:

hashsi99

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2011
Go to settings. Sound. Uncheck change with buttons. Use volume keys on side to raise volume. Turn change with buttons back on.

Try Siri.

I noticed my clicks (when locking and unlocking phone) are also muffled sometimes. But whenever a text comes thru or I play a song or video it corrects itself.

Very buggy overall.

fgullama

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2011
Yes my UK Siri sounded "Muffled" (Build Week 35). This Evening I took it back to the Apple Store and got a replacement iPhone 5. Back home now all setup again, the replacement sounds just the same "Muffled" or Drunk. :mad: After reading this thread, it had better improve overnight or it will go back for a full refund! :mad: :mad:

I noticed this the first day I loaded IOS6 on my iPad 3. The problem has since resolved itself. Strange...

Frank

lak601

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
Muffled sound on iPad 4th Gen

I just bought iPad 4th Gen last night and it's not just Siri that sounds muffled. Now I've already read the replay where it says it may take 1-3 days for Siri to update but that doesn't include other sound effects now, does it?

I have iPad 2 as well and the sound quality is better than my new one. Which makes absofu***tely no sense!

For example, i compared the new iPad and iPad 2 side by side and the text sent (swoosh) sounds much crispier in iPad 2 then in the new iPad. And same applies when locking and unlocking the devices too.

I guess muffled sound is a good way to describe it but also it sounds like the speaker is covered with a cloth (sounds thick which low treble).

I'm very particular about these things as they're expensive toys.

I'll wait for a couple of days and if the problem still persists, I'll take it back to Apple store. Return it. If the Apple Rep asks me to try another one, I will open it up and try the sounds (Not Siri) right then and there and see what happens.

Please let me know what you guys think about this post! Thanks. I'll let you know what happens! :)

Oh and I have iPhone 5 and I HAVE HAD NO SOUND PROBLEMS WITH SIRI OR OTHER SOUNDS SINCE DAY 1!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.