Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MegaSignal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
Occasionally, my new iBook would experience a partial freeze situation where apps that are already open continue to run, but any unopened apps cannot be opened. Eventually, the computer will have to be re-booted by pressing and holding the main power button. Before and after adding more memory, as well as after a complete zero-out and re-installation of the OS, this problem keeps happening - but only occasionally.

Until today, I realized that can I re-recreate this problem by doing the last thing that I remember when it happened earlier today - visiting the CBS news web site, for example. Safari immediately kicks up a fuss, the page never finishes loading, my CPU usage meter pegs at 100%, and I eventually have to do a forced shut-down in five minutes. Firefox eventually will have this same problem with this web site.

Would anyone like to confirm this for me by visiting:

http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/home/main100.shtml

My apologies for not knowing much about Java and HTML; it could have something to do with these, or it could be some problem with the Airport Extreme card, who knows.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

New 14" iBook - 1.42MHz - 1.5G RAM - Tiger 10.4.2 - All updates applied

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
yeah... definately froze safari for me, camino and firefox seems to load it fine though.

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
Jacked my Safari too, but an Activity Monitor quit worked for me. Different hardware though, obviously.

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
I'm using the PithHelmet and Adblock plugins to block ads, so maybe it's an ad that's causing it, because it loaded fine for me in both Safari 2.0 and Firefox 1.0.3.

Or maybe a 550MHz processor is good for something after all. Whereas all these faster chips think they can handle any bad code out there, mine just says "aw **** it" and gives up. :D

MegaSignal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
Thanks for all of the quick responses!

I'll keep all of the info in mind - and next time, I'll try to force quit Safari using Acitivity Monitor.

All in all, I love this little iBook - it even works very impressively with video and DVD projects. I just need to figure out what to do with this little browsing glitch - so as to improve my uptime. Hopefully, Apple will be able to provide some sort of a solution; I'll leave them a message in the appropriate area over in their Support area.

Again, thanks.

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
I have a 1 GHz eMac, I gig ram and that page loads fine in Safari for me, It's been sitting there for a couple of minutes. It refreshed itself one time. Nothing on activity monitor. It's still fine, no problems

I remember some people reporting problems with sites that have heavy flash content. Awhile back, I adjusted my flash preferences so flash cannot download or store anything on my hard drive.

First of all, you may want empty your browser cache and see of that has any improvement.

If not, you can visit here and adjust your flash settings (the panel links on the left column) and erase anything that flash is presently storing on your drive. Then, try the CBS link again.

If it's still buggered, you can try one last thing, go to Macromedia's support site and follow the directions/links for uninstalling/re-installing flash.

If not of that works, then it may not be a flash issue after all, but at least you'll have a good healthy flash installation to not worry about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.