Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMatt mini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Central New Jersey
My new iBook will be arriving soon and I've seen some nice looking browsers. I don't know which to get though, I haven't used them on Mac too much.

1. Safari
2. Firefox
3. Camino.
Those are my choices, which one do you think works best with Mac?

Thanks,
Matt

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
iMatt mini said:
My new iBook will be arriving soon and I've seen some nice looking browsers. I don't know which to get though, I haven't used them on Mac too much.

1. Safari
2. Firefox
3. Camino.
Those are my choices, which one do you think works best with Mac?

Thanks,
Matt

They all work very well on Macs. Firefox is the least Mac-like, with its non-standard interface. I personally like Camino best, but it's all a matter of preference. If you look around, you'll see that there are a LOT of threads about this.

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
safari works fine, nothing else to download... agree with above poster, this gets hashed out a lot around here- people have very strong feelings about their browsers

steelfist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2005
i recommend that this tread should be closed. however, before that happens i would like to give my opinions.

i use safari because unlike internet explorer, i don't hate it, nor do i have any reasons for searching for an internet browser alternative.

on my pc, (only for gaming) i use mozilla portable firefox 1.06, which is very fine for me, and i modded my browser to look like this: http://tn3-1.deviantart.com/300W/fs...for_Fx_1_0x__amp__Deer_Park_by_BazonBloch.jpg

i used that mod to look like safari and i don't have any reason to do anything simaler on my Mac because i have the program that i am trying to emulate on my pc.

safari isn't very functional, but it is very comfortable and usable for me, and the astetics of it is my most favorite thing about this program.

however, you should not listen to anybody on what to use, what to download, just look for the perfect program for yourself!

if internet explorer for mac suits you because you love that microsoft feel, we won't protest.

if you like firefox because it's what you use on pc and macs, fine. if you like safari, fine.

if you like avant browser, ariadne, Internet explorer on windows, AOL, Crazy Browser, Fast Browser Pro, K-Meleon, Maxthon Combo, Maxthon Standard, MiniBrowser , Mozilla, Nemesis MyIE, Netscape, Networker, Nubonyx Browser, SetBrowser, Slim Browser, UltraBrowser, Voyager 2004, and finally Y2KSA Browser which i think are only availeble for pcs, and you are willing to buy virtual pc with windows xp just to run that browser, be my guest. we don't really care, and if you work well with those browsers above with virtual pc, then it will be a happy ending for your dilema.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
steelfist said:
on my pc, (only for gaming) i use mozilla portable firefox 1.06, which is very fine for me, and i modded my browser to look like this: http://tn3-1.deviantart.com/300W/fs...for_Fx_1_0x__amp__Deer_Park_by_BazonBloch.jpg
Did you get the aqua buttons to work? I had a previous version of this theme and updated it when I saw your post, but I can't seem to get the aqua style buttons to show. XP w/ Portable Firefox 1.06 same as you, so I am hoping you were able to make it work.

EDIT: Never mind. I'm an idiot. I thought it was setup to use the theme, but I must have pushed the wrong button, because it was using an older/crappy safari theme. All is well now.

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
steelfist said:
if internet explorer for mac suits you because you love that microsoft feel, we won't protest.

Actually, I will. DO NOT use IE on a Mac! It's an unsupported, dead-end browser which is no longer being developed. Use *anything* before you use IE on a Mac.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
jayscheuerle said:
Unfortunately, some sites only work with IE. Always a good lifesaver to keep in the "rarely used" bin...

that's why I keep it around too

sometimes I can use firefox when safari wont work but sometimes it's all the way back to IE.......ugh

iMatt mini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Central New Jersey
jayscheuerle said:
I'm not sure I understand you. You mean it will automatically open up IE from the Firefox menu?
I don't know how it works, I don't have it. I think it maybe fakes the site into thinking you're on IE or maybe it opens IE up? I don't know if it works for Macs even, I assume it does.

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Michigan
jayscheuerle said:
I'm not sure I understand you. You mean it will automatically open up IE from the Firefox menu?
I am not familiar with this extension on OS X (I don't think it even exists), but on my Windows box I use Firefox and have the "Open in IE" extension. The extension allows you to right-click on links and there is then an option to "Open in IE" which launches that URL in Internet Explorer. I wish they had an "Open in Safari" extension for OS X though.

I don't have IE on my Mac. I use Firefox and the few times I have problems I try in Safari. So far that has worked for me. I like the Safari interface better, it's more polished. However, Safari eats more RAM which I don't like. Also Firefox feels a bit snappier to me overall - I think it's the speed of rendering, but I'm not sure.

I also love Firefox's Find bar at the bottom that does find-as-you-type. I also like some of the extensions, most are just nice to have but a few are "must haves" for me - Mouse Gestures and Tabbed Browsing Preferences. I do like the built-in SpellChecker for Safari though... guess you can't have it all though.

Ultimately though it's all about personal preference. Those are the reasons and features that explain why I like and use the browsers I do. Perhaps if you didn't know about some of those features or extensions it may help you in your decision.

1macker1

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2003
A Higher Level
Well I just downloaded Camino because it was suggested in another thread, and it is by fast 2 to 3 times faster than Safari. Plus, it doesn't eat up my RAM. Best browser hands down. It's not as pretty as Safari, but this browser is fast.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
I mostly use safari, but there are sites that I need to view that don't work. For those I use Firefox.

Hickman

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2005
KY
I've used Safari and FF but Camino is just so much faster, I can't imagine I'll ever go back. If you want Camino look for the optimized nightly builds.

florencevassy

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2004
Princeton, NJ
I like Firefox the best, I love the tabs.

After that I like Safari and iCab http://www.icab.de/

iCab is a little slow but it is good for strange pages that don't work in Firefox
and I just like having it just in case.

I don't like Opera and IE (although I do have them).

I haven't tried Camino, judging from what others are saying I would like to try it.

Try 'em all and see which one you like :)

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
yea i use microsoft ie 5.1.6 it has some problems when i do i switch to icab yea i cab is slow and omg netscape i think is junk i cant try safari or some of the others cause i only have mac os 9.2.2

other

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2005
Opera, but I think it works better in Windows. Once you get used to using Opera, you can't go back to those other browsers. I love how easy it is to customize keyboard shortcuts, there isn't anything like it in any other browser. That's just one of many things though. Check out the link below.

http://operalover.tntluoma.com/8/

greatdevourer

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2005
jayscheuerle said:
There's summat like it in Safari, too (it's hidden in a debug-menu), and it also does Netscape and Konkorer (or however it's spelt)

greatdevourer said:
There's summat like it in Safari, too (it's hidden in a debug-menu), and it also does Netscape and Konkorer (or however it's spelt)

No. What you're seeing is how the browser identifies itself. That's different. Certain sites only work with IE because the site creators made it purely IE compliant, and IE does not adhere to web standards. Microsoft is of the mind that if their browser IS the standard, then web standards should be set to them, not the other way around. By identifying your browser as IE, then the only thing you're doing is adding to the apparent percentage of user base that IE commands. Occasionally, such identification will get you into sites that say they require IE, but if the site really DOES require it, then you're probably out of luck.

For example, I belong to Blockbuster Online. They give me monthly coupons to print out. No matter how Safari identifies itself, when the coupons appear on screen, they're missing all their graphics, including the UPC code, which I need in order to use the coupons. Same with Firefox. Only in IE do the coupons come up complete. I detest IE, but I need it...

stevietheb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2004
Houston
Consider Shiira.

The loveliness of WebKit (at least I think it's lovely) with some really cool features like TabExpose (exactly what it sounds like).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.