PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Macbook Air Slow Shutdown Problem

goblin cadet
Sep 20, 2012, 09:20 AM
Hey guys, Ive been having problems with my macbook air. It takes about 20 seconds to turn off. It goes into a white screen with a spinning grey circle. Ive looked online and done various things to try to solve the problem. I clean installed 10.8.2, however the problem was still present during 10.8.1. I was hoping the update would fix it.

Also many applications are laggy.

Are there any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

Also I was reading something about their being a problem with HP software maybe? but Im unsure.

Thanks for the help

SoIsays
Sep 20, 2012, 10:19 AM
I only have a problem when I have mail open. If I close mail, it still shows up in the taskbar. It's only when I reopen it again and then the system will shut down. BTW, I didn't update to 10.8.2.

goblin cadet
Sep 20, 2012, 10:33 AM
Something interesting happened. I turned my computer on and it couldnt connect to wifi because "the authentication server is unresponsive" here on campus. When i turned my air off after I got that message, it turned off in 2 seconds.

Perhaps something with wifi is problematic? Ill try to fix it and see if it goes back to a long shutdown

DWHH1
Sep 20, 2012, 11:57 AM
Updated to 10.8.2 and now also experiencing a long shutdown - typically 20 seconds (ish)

Also, on startup, I am frequently missing the bar at the top of the screen with the Apple symbol, time, battery indicator, wifi connectivity, etc. If I open an App through Finder it appears. Annoying bug.

Running a Mid 2012 MacBook Air 11-inch i7.

UPDATE 1
Just checked CONSOLE and the shutdown problem might be due to problem with SANDBOXing. Could someone please check on your machines for a rash of error messages

UPDATE 2
I have also noticed that if I power up and try to shutdown within a minute or two then shutdown takes a long time however, after a number of minutes, not sure exactly how many lets say 5-10 mins shutdown will only take 4 seconds. Something is running or trying to start up and SANDBOXing is getting in the way and the shutdown is delayed. Once all those things that want to start up but get refused are out of the way the MacBook Air is happy to do as instructed.

stchman
Sep 20, 2012, 12:03 PM
I did notice too that after updating to 10.8.2 that the shutdown took a LOT longer. With 10.8.1, it used to shut down in ~2 seconds, now like 15 seconds.

goblin cadet
Sep 20, 2012, 12:08 PM
Hopefully someone will be able to find some type of solution

soulred12
Sep 23, 2012, 09:52 PM
I'm having this problem too. I'd like to hear more about this sandboxing issue. I have a 2012 MBP classic, but thanks to the SSD I installed, my mac was shutting down in about 2-5 seconds. Then I updated to 10.8.2 and it takes about 20 seconds. And as the person above me, for me it didn't do this in 10.8.1; it only started after I updated to 10.8.2.

FreVC
Sep 24, 2012, 03:19 PM
I appear to have the same problem with my 2012 mba, 10.8.2

mba123
Sep 26, 2012, 07:27 AM
Same problems here with 2012 after recent updates.

Gone from a few seconds to 15-20. Tried turning wifi off but still slow.

:(

Brian Mage
Sep 26, 2012, 12:51 PM
Just timed mine. 26 seconds

Drmedic
Sep 26, 2012, 01:04 PM
It's definitely much slower than usual, sometimes it does shut down in ~2 seconds but now it's boarding on ~15-18 very frequently.
Not sure what the reason is.

CoMoMacUser
Sep 26, 2012, 02:07 PM
Sometimes after I put it in sleep mode, the screen goes black, but the arrow cursor remains indefinitely.

melantye
Sep 27, 2012, 12:22 AM
Sometimes after I put it in sleep mode, the screen goes black, but the arrow cursor remains indefinitely.

bump^
Exactly the same thing happened to my macbook air 2012, after upgrading to 10.8.2

Very likely to be software glitch, though it's not happening on my rMBP

crazyxzer0
Sep 27, 2012, 01:58 AM
i rarely shutdown my air and I just did it and it was 23seconds.

I usually just sleep/restart when necessary.

Seamaster
Sep 27, 2012, 03:17 AM
Yep, I've noticed a much longer shutdown I've on my 2012 Air.

laff2
Sep 27, 2012, 12:49 PM
I have a Macbook Air 2011 - same situation. About 15-20seconds to shut down.
I have done SMC/Power, etc resets and checked all software.

Read my console and I think it is a glitch in the update as 10.8.1 di not have this problem and seeing a lot of boards mentioning the slow shut down that will be more noticeable with the Air due to to the usual fast shutdown of the SSD.

halledise
Sep 27, 2012, 02:48 PM
I had a similar issue with a new rMBP.
called Apple Tech support who reckoned it was 'system wide' software issue inherited by using Migration Assistant to transfer my stuff from a Time Machine backup on my previous Mac - which happened to be an Air.

they suggested an 'erase and install' and then 'manually' reinstall Apps and Home Folder contents.

a couple of hours later, and this machine now shuts down in <5 secs and starts up to the login screen in around 10 seconds.

my $2 worth

slumpey326
Sep 27, 2012, 03:26 PM
I had a similar issue with a new rMBP.
called Apple Tech support who reckoned it was 'system wide' software issue inherited by using Migration Assistant to transfer my stuff from a Time Machine backup on my previous Mac - which happened to be an Air.

they suggested an 'erase and install' and then 'manually' reinstall Apps and Home Folder contents.

a couple of hours later, and this machine now shuts down in <5 secs and starts up to the login screen in around 10 seconds.

my $2 worth

I dont think its that because I never used migration assistant and still sometimes get up to 15seconds shutdown on my macbook 2012 air.

Skoopman
Sep 27, 2012, 04:23 PM
It's not the MA, shut down was fast when I upgraded to 10.8.0. It started to slow down after 10.8.1.

Jason99kr
Sep 28, 2012, 09:19 AM
Having same problem.
I set up the my friend's 10.7.x 2012 13" 4GB Memory MBA few month ago It was blazingly fast on startup and shutdown time (less than 15 sec for startup and less than 5 sec for shutdown time I would say.)

But on my MBA 10.8.2 2012 13" 8GB Memory MBA I am experiencing slow startup time (around 30 secs) sometimes It gets unresponsive when I open up the MBA from sleep. shutdown time is almost same as HDD!:confused:

Hopefully Apple will release update soon..

RCranium666
Nov 4, 2012, 02:41 PM
This is retarded. My 2010 MBA is also taking about 30s to shutdown. I'm guessing there's no way to rollback to the previous update? It used to take 1/10th the time.:mad: Fix the freaking problem Apple!:mad:

dmote75
Jan 8, 2013, 11:38 AM
I have a 2012 Air that I used Migration Assistant to move from a 2007 Macbook Pro. I also have slow shutdown times now matter when I try and close. I have tried closing all open programs and still the same approx 30 sec or longer shutdown time.

I did notice when I log in with the Guest User account and then shutdown it's almost instantaneous.

Have not had a chance to see what the difference is between the Guest acct and my acct but thought I would mention in case anyone would have amny thoughts.

Jason99kr
Jan 8, 2013, 11:45 AM
You might wanna reinstall it. Or update software to latest version. I don't have any late shutdown issues after updating

WhiteIphone5
Feb 6, 2013, 01:39 AM
You might wanna reinstall it. Or update software to latest version. I don't have any late shutdown issues after updating

Found a fix for it?
I'm having this problem too

Jason99kr
Feb 6, 2013, 02:02 AM
Found a fix for it?
I'm having this problem too

Updated to latest version and I'm fine now haha

WhiteIphone5
Feb 6, 2013, 03:11 PM
Updated to latest version and I'm fine now haha

right after you posted my macbook air became normal again. 2 sec shutdown and 5 sec boot up... strange lol

Jason99kr
Feb 6, 2013, 03:19 PM
right after you posted my macbook air became normal again. 2 sec shutdown and 5 sec boot up... strange lol
Now you got nothing to worry about haha

WhiteIphone5
Feb 6, 2013, 04:36 PM
Now you got nothing to worry about haha
Hey I started a thread about an issue I'm curently having and no replies yet. Maybe you can help? When dark the ambient light sesnsor changes the display brightness but not the keyboard I have to manually keep increasing and decreasing. I have done the smc reset and nothing. I also have the "adjust automatically" check "on". Idk what else to do

Jason99kr
Feb 6, 2013, 04:40 PM
Hey I started a thread about an issue I'm curently having and no replies yet. Maybe you can help? When dark the ambient light sesnsor changes the display brightness but not the keyboard I have to manually keep increasing and decreasing. I have done the smc reset and nothing. I also have the "adjust automatically" check "on". Idk what else to do

I believe I have same problem too. Hmm.. But I don't use backlit that much. So I don't give that much attention for it. Did you find any other post that has same problem with us?

WhiteIphone5
Feb 6, 2013, 05:23 PM
I believe I have same problem too. Hmm.. But I don't use backlit that much. So I don't give that much attention for it. Did you find any other post that has same problem with us?

i have tried SMC reset, Pram, and enter a Psudo code on terminal with a different account. im about to re-install windows. i payed 1000 for this computer its features should work!

Jason99kr
Feb 6, 2013, 05:25 PM
i have tried SMC reset, Pram, and enter a Psudo code on terminal with a different account. im about to re-install windows. i payed 1000 for this computer its features should work!

Wait... Are you talking about bootcamp windows?

WhiteIphone5
Feb 6, 2013, 06:13 PM
Wait... Are you talking about bootcamp windows?

LOL no no my bad meant mountain lion.
you see i tested out this thing, try using your phones LED light or a flash light an point it straight to the camera. the brightness on display will go high and the keyboard backlight will turn off. pull out your phone and the keys light up and the display goes back to normal.
im testing this on dark room and as soon as turn on my room lights, boom display adjusts while keyboard stays the same (lit up).
the only way to adjust the keyboards backlight is to actually show it extreme light at the camera. i dont know what else to do.

Jason99kr
Feb 6, 2013, 06:21 PM
LOL no no my bad meant mountain lion.
you see i tested out this thing, try using your phones LED light or a flash light an point it straight to the camera. the brightness on display will go high and the keyboard backlight will turn off. pull out your phone and the keys light up and the display goes back to normal.
im testing this on dark room and as soon as turn on my room lights, boom display adjusts while keyboard stays the same (lit up).
the only way to adjust the keyboards backlight is to actually show it extreme light at the camera. i dont know what else to do.

I don't even know what's going on lol I put backlit and monitor brightness to max, turned off the light, display brightness stays same at 100% and backlit brightness decreased to 50%....
I think backlit does not automatically shut off when you enable backlit.

for my old mid-2010 macbook pro backlit automatically turned off. (as far as I remember)

WhiteIphone5
Feb 6, 2013, 06:30 PM
I don't even know what's going on lol I put backlit and monitor brightness to max, turned off the light, display brightness stays same at 100% and backlit brightness decreased to 50%....
I think backlit does not automatically shut off when you enable backlit.

for my old mid-2010 macbook pro backlit automatically turned off. (as far as I remember)

its the opposite for me lol
Light= High Display+ Same backlit
No light=low Display+ same backlight -.-

Jason99kr
Feb 6, 2013, 06:32 PM
its the opposite for me lol
Light= High Display+ Same backlit
No light=low Display+ same backlight -.-

Oh well.. It's not that big deal for me.. I will just leave it lol..
or you might wanna take it to Apple store