Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ckiggins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Ordered and received the Otterbox Defender this morning for the new iPhone 5 to arrive tomorrow.

I'm not sure what I think about it having a built in screen protector that can not be removed. Seems like it would scratch and not be easy to clean (since it's plastic and not the shiny glass front of the phone itself) - and would also take away from the crispness and clarity of the retina display.

Has anyone used Otterbox Defender before and liked it? Thinking of returning it and choosing something else in-store (if I could find anything tomorrow!)...

Thanks guys.

iamthekiller

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
Ordered and received the Otterbox Defender this morning for the new iPhone 5 to arrive tomorrow.

I'm not sure what I think about it having a built in screen protector that can not be removed. Seems like it would scratch and not be easy to clean (since it's plastic and not the shiny glass front of the phone itself) - and would also take away from the crispness and clarity of the retina display.

Has anyone used Otterbox Defender before and liked it? Thinking of returning it and choosing something else in-store (if I could find anything tomorrow!)...

Thanks guys.

You should have posted this in the accessories forum.

The built in screen protector is garbage and is easily removed. It's held together with glue. Just pop it out, and remove the glue residue with a pencil eraser.

I'll never use a defender again though. The hard plastic slams right against the phone upon drops. It resulted in my iphone4 being scratched right on the pressure points of the case.

Get an incipio duo pro. It does the opposite - with the soft silicone touching the phone, and the hard plastic on the OUTSIDE.

KimMelton661

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
I have always loved my Otterbox Defenders. I have owned quite a few (I get bored of cases fast). My husband has one on his iPhone 4 and loves it as well. Some people don't like the bulkiness, but I don't mind it since I carry my phone in my purse anyway.

juliebee

macrumors member
May 29, 2011
you could consider looking at the Otterbox Commuter, it doesn't have the built-in screen protector and instead has an adhesive screen protector.

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
Otterbox defender cases are great high quality cases and they seem to stand behind there products and offer quick replacements. I change phones often and having a phone in mint condition helps with the resell value . I am sure that this will turn into a case vs no case debate but I am looking forward to finally getting a chance to use my Iphone 5 defender case that arrived on Monday from Amazon

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
Best case ever.

No one will believe this, but I had a customer actually run his iphone over with a pickup truck, by accident, and the Otterbox saved the phone, not even a scratch!

nightpanda2810

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
you could consider looking at the Otterbox Commuter, it doesn't have the built-in screen protector and instead has an adhesive screen protector.

This.
I bought the Defender and returned it the next day. Felt both bulky and flimsy in my hand. Got the Commuter instead, and it is awesome. I've dropped my 4 on cement several times with that case, no issues whatsoever. I'll definitely be getting the Commuter for my 5.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
This.
I bought the Defender and returned it the next day. Felt both bulky and flimsy in my hand. Got the Commuter instead, and it is awesome. I've dropped my 4 on cement several times with that case, no issues whatsoever. I'll definitely be getting the Commuter for my 5.

I agree that the Defender is definitely bulky. Just returned one yesterday for my 4S. Otterbox customer service is 2nd to none though.

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
This.

The new Defenders are almost the same size as the Commuters without the poor quality screen protectors that the commuter case comes with. If you had thought that the Defenders are too bulky then head on down to the retail store and check them out

----------

I agree that the Defender is definitely bulky. Just returned one yesterday for my 4S. Otterbox customer service is 2nd to none though.

Compared to the 4S Defender case the new Otterbox Iphone 5 case just feels better and is much smaller. The box also says the New Iphone meaning that Apple changed the name at the last minute to the Iphone 5:D

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
The new Defenders are almost the same size as the Commuters without the poor quality screen protectors that the commuter case comes with. If you had thought that the Defenders are too bulky then head on down to the retail store and check them out

----------

Compared to the 4S Defender case the new Otterbox Iphone 5 case just feels better and is much smaller. The box also says the New Iphone meaning that Apple changed the name at the last minute to the Iphone 5:D

I may try out the Defender for the 5 then since you say it's much smaller. Can't wait to upgrade next month. Hopefully I can get my upgrades moved from 10/27-10/30 to 10/1.

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
I pre-ordered the Otterbox Defender on 9/13, and paid extra for the fastest shipping. When I did, it said they'd ship 9/21. I ended up getting mine a few days ago, on 9/18. The thing that concerns me, is that since that time the pre-order ship date has changed to 9/28 (which is understandable, given the likely demand), but the model #'s for the cases have changed. The one I got says 77-21908 on the bottom of the package (UPC), the one on the invoice/shipping invoice says 77-21908_A, and the one (updated a few days ago), on Otter's website says 77-21908_B.

I'm not sure if something minor (or major) changed with the case, or if for some reason they decided to change the model number for no reason. I've tried to reach out to them via twitter, but apparently they don't check it or who knows, and emailed, and so far nothing.

I don't know if they rushed to make the first batch, and didn't get something right, thus the new SKU/Model # (with a B instead of A), or what.. so, anyone else who ordered (or who has gotten theirs already), what does the SKU on the bottom as well as your invoice/shipping paper say?

iamthekiller

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
Best case ever.

No one will believe this, but I had a customer actually run his iphone over with a pickup truck, by accident, and the Otterbox saved the phone, not even a scratch!

You think the 5 cent plastic of the otterbox protected the phone? The phone could actually be run over by a truck with any case on it and be fine.

daydayvol

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
I have had the commuter and defender for my iphone 4. I am currently using the defender because otterbox replaced my commuter when it broke. They sent me the defender instead of the commuter. I really like the defender and the plastic screen protector works fine. I actually prefer the plastic cover over the films you have to apply yourself. It is a great case and I ordered the defender for my iphone 5.

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
I pre-ordered the Otterbox Defender on 9/13, and paid extra for the fastest shipping. When I did, it said they'd ship 9/21. I ended up getting mine a few days ago, on 9/18. The thing that concerns me, is that since that time the pre-order ship date has changed to 9/28 (which is understandable, given the likely demand), but the model #'s for the cases have changed. The one I got says 77-21908 on the bottom of the package (UPC), the one on the invoice/shipping invoice says 77-21908_A, and the one (updated a few days ago), on Otter's website says 77-21908_B.

I'm not sure if something minor (or major) changed with the case, or if for some reason they decided to change the model number for no reason. I've tried to reach out to them via twitter, but apparently they don't check it or who knows, and emailed, and so far nothing.

I don't know if they rushed to make the first batch, and didn't get something right, thus the new SKU/Model # (with a B instead of A), or what.. so, anyone else who ordered (or who has gotten theirs already), what does the SKU on the bottom as well as your invoice/shipping paper say?

Thanks for the info and keep us updated on what you find out

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
Thanks for the info and keep us updated on what you find out

They gotta get back to me first, lol, if I don't hear anything in the next few hours, I'm just going to call. Not too wild about having spent what I did (plus to get it overnight), to find out that it *could* have been changed since then. It's funny too, the sticker on the package says "new iPhone", which makes me think they had them made well before the phone was announced - if the SKU has changed simply due to them changing the sticker on the label, with the name, that's fine, but ultimately I won't know til I get my phone tomorrow, or they contact me back.

jwhite878

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2010
I must have dropped my 4s a dozen times with the defender on. Not a scratch. It's a great case, but some may find it a bit bulky.

treyjustice

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
TX
I have one on my 4S it is huge and ugly and kinda sucks but i protects well. I dislike the screen protector too. I won't be using a case on my iphone 5.

speed4tu

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2009
I pushed that screen protector off of mine. The screen doesn't work nearly as good with it up there. It doesn't fit tight enough overall.

jcliden

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
San Diego
I think if you're looking for something very durable and hard core, Otterbox is a good choice. If you're looking for something more minimalistic or sleek, then it's not. Otterbox definitely adds some bulk to your phone and tends to cover up the beauty of the phone. I think it all comes down to what you're looking for.

ckiggins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Just stopped at both Best Buy and Target on lunch to see if they had any of the new 5 cases out - nada. I will see what else is out there tomorrow before making a determination on whether to return, I guess.

Part of me says I shouldn't even do a case as I'm doing SquareTrade or AppleCare, so it will be replaced if the screen breaks without a case on it anyway.

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
I pre-orderd the defender case with my iP5 from Verizon but I have since decided I don't want it so I will have to return it to Verizon (hopefully I can to a store but not likely) and will get the Incipio case instead its more of what I want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.