Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TrashCanDan

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
I own a Canon XL1s and I always shoot in "movie mode" because its recomended for broadcast safe and digital editing. I have not yet shot in Frame mode for I could not risk it and have problems editing later on and have to shoot all over again. So... to all you Xl1s users, Have you shot in frame mode, I hear it gives it a more cinematic look. Have you had problems editing after shooting in frame mode?

Thanks,
::dan::

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I don't think shooting in Frame mode means it's going to be broadcast safe since it shoots in superwhite mode. You'll need to apply a broadcast safe filter to your program anyways.

As for the cinematic look, definitely. I use it all the time when I bought the original XL1 in 1999. The lack of fields means editing and doing image manipulations was a breeze in programs like After Effects. The image in Frame mode is slightly softer than regular interlaced mode, but the difference is not too noticeable, especially if you intercut the footage.

The only "perceived problem" is a stutter look to slowed down footage, but I actually prefer the look over the super smooth look. Of course, with today's tools, you can de-interlace and otherwise prep the footage to 24P or 60P easier with interlaced footage. It's your call.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.