PDA

View Full Version : Accidentally deleted HDD in Disk utility

zakiay
Sep 20, 2012, 01:51 PM
I was trying to format my 2011 macbook pro 13 to factory settings while on lion, someone told me i had to do it through disk utility and erase the hdd, well i did that and now i cant boot to the OS. Whenever i reboot it brings me back to the disk utilities menu. I dont have my os x lion install disk anymore. Any help would be greatly appricated, i dont know what to do..:(

Mal
Sep 20, 2012, 02:29 PM
You erased your drive, now you need to reinstall a system on it. You never had an OS X Lion install disk unless you made one yourself, but you still have the Recovery Partition or Internet Recovery depending on how you did the erase. Just restart and hold Command-R until you get to the recovery drive and then choose "Reinstall Mac OS X Lion".

jW

iParis
Sep 20, 2012, 02:30 PM
^That or install Snow Leopard and then upgrade to Lion, assuming you can get ahold of a 10.6 disc.

zakiay
Sep 20, 2012, 02:45 PM
I tried the option to re install mac os x but whenever i select it tells me it wants to verify me with apple and when i click continue it says "An error occurred while preparing the installation. Please try again".

You erased your drive, now you need to reinstall a system on it. You never had an OS X Lion install disk unless you made one yourself, but you still have the Recovery Partition or Internet Recovery depending on how you did the erase. Just restart and hold Command-R until you get to the recovery drive and then choose "Reinstall Mac OS X Lion".

jW