PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to AVPlayerHD

Pages : [1] 2

SiameseJesus
Sep 20, 2012, 04:24 PM
Hi,

I just got an iPad and went to download AVPlayerHD and it's saying it's not available to download at the moment. Does anyone know why it's not available? Also are there any decent alternatives around, I'm going mainly be playing mkv files.

JoeShades
Sep 20, 2012, 05:31 PM
Streamtome

Menneisyys2
Sep 21, 2012, 01:06 AM
Hi,

I just got an iPad and went to download AVPlayerHD and it's saying it's not available to download at the moment. Does anyone know why it's not available? Also are there any decent alternatives around, I'm going mainly be playing mkv files.

1, I've just received a mail from the AVPlayerHD folks. They state they don't know when the player reappears in the AppStore. They've been asked by Apple to remove them because of the bugs introduced in the last version.

2, if you have MKV files, you'll always want to remux to native iOS formats (mp4 / mov / m4v). Under iOS, there is simply no way to play back local (the above-recommended StreamToMe streams remote files from a desktop) MKV's flawlessly, not even on jailbroken devices. Are you sure you can't remux?

SiameseJesus
Sep 21, 2012, 03:49 AM
1, I've just received a mail from the AVPlayerHD folks. They state they don't know when the player reappears in the AppStore. They've been asked by Apple to remove them because of the bugs introduced in the last version.

2, if you have MKV files, you'll always want to remux to native iOS formats (mp4 / mov / m4v). Under iOS, there is simply no way to play back local (the above-recommended StreamToMe streams remote files from a desktop) MKV's flawlessly, not even on jailbroken devices. Are you sure you can't remux?

Ah that's a shame. Hopefully it will be back up soon.

The impression I got from reading forums and stuff was that you could simply drag an MKV file into itunes and play it using something like AVPlayerHD, is that not possible? I can remux if needs be, can you recommend any software?

Menneisyys2
Sep 21, 2012, 05:53 AM
Ah that's a shame. Hopefully it will be back up soon.

It won't be, unfortunately. It's still not known when it is back. Weeks? Months?

The impression I got from reading forums and stuff was that you could simply drag an MKV file into itunes and play it using something like AVPlayerHD, is that not possible?

Surely possible with a lot of other titles (BUZZ Player, It's Playing etc. - unfortunately, all these titles have their own shares of bugs and problems) too, but none of them is able to deliver seamless playback, "thanks" to Apple's pretty stupid restrictions. Hence the need to remux.

I can remux if needs be, can you recommend any software?

Subler is by far the best. I've posted tons of posts here on using it under e.g. ML; check out my prev. posts, particularly in the Apple TV forum.

SiameseJesus
Sep 21, 2012, 09:03 AM
It won't be, unfortunately. It's still not known when it is back. Weeks? Months?

Surely possible with a lot of other titles (BUZZ Player, It's Playing etc. - unfortunately, all these titles have their own shares of bugs and problems) too, but none of them is able to deliver seamless playback, "thanks" to Apple's pretty stupid restrictions. Hence the need to remux.

Subler is by far the best. I've posted tons of posts here on using it under e.g. ML; check out my prev. posts, particularly in the Apple TV forum.

Excellent, thank you :)

yegon
Sep 22, 2012, 02:11 PM
Hope it returns to the store. The iPad version is still a champ but I want an update that takes into account the 5’s increased res.

Khryz
Sep 22, 2012, 02:42 PM
I was just searching for this today too, wanted to grab the iPhone version. I have the iPad version though, so I hope it returns soon as well.

Menneisyys2
Sep 22, 2012, 04:13 PM
I was just searching for this today too, wanted to grab the iPhone version. I have the iPad version though, so I hope it returns soon as well.

It won't in the next 2-3 weeks at least(!), it seems. What kinds of videos do you plan to play back? There may be equally good (or even better!) alternatives for a specific video type. For example, today, I've discovered the new "nPlayer" - it simply ROCKS when it comes to multiple subtitle displaying (and is, in this regard, considerably better than AVPlayerHD).

mikepro
Sep 24, 2012, 06:05 PM
I know a few people that like Good Player

Menneisyys2
Sep 26, 2012, 06:21 AM
I know a few people that like Good Player

Yup, GoodPlayer is great if you know its limitations - basically, it shouldn't be used for 1080p software decoding (in that regard, there're a lot of better titles - ProPlayer etc.) and there are no DSP's in it (for DSP's, use It's Playing.).

LJ50
Sep 26, 2012, 02:25 PM
Same story here. The iPad version is terrific, played all the mkv's I've tried no problem at all.

Hopefully they sort out whatever issues they have and get the iPhone version released again.

Menneisyys2
Sep 26, 2012, 03:08 PM
Same story here. The iPad version is terrific, played all the mkv's I've tried no problem at all.

Hopefully they sort out whatever issues they have and get the iPhone version released again.

They will - but it's still not known when. I'll announce here when I hear something from the re-release.

In the meantime, as far as MKV playback is concerned, you have the following alternatives:

- BUZZ Player (HD) (it's currently offered at a discounted intro price of $2 / $2, which makes it a very good buy for new customers; note that it won't play MKV files with DTS audio!),

- It's Playing (note that it stutters a bit more than the other, recommended titles; however, the excellent and absolutely unique DSP's it has may make up for this problem)

- HD Player Pro (if you don't need TV output)

- and, if you're jailbroken and don't need iPad 3 Retina screen support, XBMC.

But, of course, remuxing will always be the best.

rgr555
Sep 27, 2012, 06:25 PM
Azul is the best imo

but i have tons of videos in there it crashes and doesnt repeat sometimes

Menneisyys2
Sep 28, 2012, 04:03 AM
Azul is the best imo

but i have tons of videos in there it crashes and doesnt repeat sometimes

IMHO, there are better titles than Azul. For example, its H.264 decoder is particularly bad at 1080p. Get something better.

rgr555
Sep 28, 2012, 03:53 PM
hmm never had any problem playing anything.

Menneisyys2
Sep 29, 2012, 09:38 AM
hmm never had any problem playing anything.

You may not have noticed the difference because you many not have directly compared to, say, the video decoding speed and CPU usage to other, better-optimized players.

BTW, in my yesterday's, very long article ("TUTORIAL: This is how you can watch Windows Media / Silverlight Internet TV streams"; I can't link to it to avoid self-promotion) I've compared all the iOS players' Windows Media / Silverlight streaming playback compliance. In this regard too Azul has proved to be inferior to the best players (GoodPlayer, XBMC etc.): it accepts direct MMS links only and even that with restrictions; for example, it you can't even bookmark your MMS links because of a bug. All the other players can bookmark / list their history.

This is was just one (the most recent) example of it being inferior to the best players in the category.

rgr555
Sep 29, 2012, 01:43 PM
You may not have noticed the difference because you many not have directly compared to, say, the video decoding speed and CPU usage to other, better-optimized players.

BTW, in my yesterday's, very long article ("TUTORIAL: This is how you can watch Windows Media / Silverlight Internet TV streams"; I can't link to it to avoid self-promotion) I've compared all the iOS players' Windows Media / Silverlight streaming playback compliance. In this regard too Azul has proved to be inferior to the best players (GoodPlayer, XBMC etc.): it accepts direct MMS links only and even that with restrictions; for example, it you can't even bookmark your MMS links because of a bug. All the other players can bookmark / list their history.

This is was just one (the most recent) example of it being inferior to the best players in the category.

which program is the best for watching videos/all codecs?

Menneisyys2
Sep 29, 2012, 01:54 PM

There isn't a best app, unfortunately. AVPlayerHD was pretty close to it but even it had some lacking functionality (ASS subtitles, streaming etc.) some of the alternatives did much better. It all depends on what content (codec, video parameters, subs etc.) you want to play back.

Benbikeman
Oct 1, 2012, 06:13 PM

AVPlayerHD is the best all-round app in my experience. I literally haven't found anything it won't play.

penguintri
Oct 8, 2012, 08:44 AM
Is there any news what's happened to avplayer? I really want it to be updated for the iphone 5!

Menneisyys2
Oct 8, 2012, 08:46 AM
Is there any news what's happened to avplayer? I really want it to be updated for the iphone 5!

Suffice it to say that it'll be back some time.

cooa99
Oct 14, 2012, 01:52 PM
has anyone tried buzz player ,

I found it to be much better

cooa99

Benbikeman
Oct 14, 2012, 02:41 PM
has anyone tried buzz player ,
I found it to be much better

Better in what regard?

Menneisyys2
Oct 14, 2012, 03:24 PM
Better in what regard?

Well, in some regards, it's indeed better; for example, ASX / WMV streaming. And it's available in the AppStore, unlike AVPlayerHD ;-)

Unfortunately,

- the removal of AC-3 support has rendered its MKV hardware playback support almost absolutely useless. AVPlayerHD is orders of magnitude better at that. I've been trying to talk to the dev on this matter (he, so far, hasn't answered my e-mails); hopefully he'll fix the (major) bugs rendering MKV playback (currently) useless.

- the software video decoders of the app, generally, aren't as good as that of AVPlayerHD.

Benbikeman
Oct 14, 2012, 04:04 PM
And it's available in the AppStore, unlike AVPlayerHD ;-)

Heh. Fortunately I already have it installed, and once purchased you can even reinstall. I haven't found a single bug running under iOS6 so am bemused as to why it's been withdrawn.

cooa99
Oct 15, 2012, 05:53 AM
Better in what regard?

AVPlayeHD cannot stream straight off a Network, you have to copy the file to the ipad .....

cooa99

Benbikeman
Oct 15, 2012, 06:16 AM
AVPlayeHD cannot stream straight off a Network, you have to copy the file to the ipad .....

I use Air Playit HD for that.

Menneisyys2
Oct 15, 2012, 06:22 AM

cooa99

Yup, the lack of networking support is the biggest problem with AVPlayerHD. Nevertheless, for playing back local content, it's clearly better than Buzz.

Benbikeman
Oct 20, 2012, 10:28 AM
As a matter of idle curiosity, why are subtitles such a big deal to you? I watch maybe one or two subtitled movies a year.

Menneisyys2
Oct 20, 2012, 11:14 AM
As a matter of idle curiosity, why are subtitles such a big deal to you? I watch maybe one or two subtitled movies a year.

My mother tongue isn't English; therefore, I need at least English CC's to catch all words and to understand everything.

Benbikeman
Oct 20, 2012, 12:21 PM
My mother tongue isn't English; therefore, I need at least English CC's to catch all words and to understand everything.

If your forum posts are anything to go by, you seem to do ok!

Menneisyys2
Oct 20, 2012, 12:34 PM
If your forum posts are anything to go by, you seem to do ok!

Thanks. Nevertheless, there are always some 1-2 words I can't understand from movies / radio plays without having the transcript of the scpeech - this is why I like having CC's.

darknyt
Oct 21, 2012, 10:54 PM

Cool - my wife is Finnish too. She got her degree here in the US though, so English comes pretty well.

She's the only Finnish person I've ever met though that didn't have a noticeable accent, so she's probably an outlier.

Passenger88
Oct 23, 2012, 02:23 PM
Sorry if has been posted, but does this app blocks the sound aswell regarding de ac3 licence support?

yourmother
Oct 24, 2012, 01:37 AM
I have and watch mostly avi files but I do have the occasional nonHD mkv with srt. What app would you guys recommend?

Thanks I really appreciate it.

Menneisyys2
Oct 24, 2012, 03:33 PM
Sorry if has been posted, but does this app blocks the sound aswell regarding de ac3 licence support?

It does, unfortunately.

----------

I have and watch mostly avi files but I do have the occasional nonHD mkv with srt. What app would you guys recommend?

Thanks I really appreciate it.

No full HD? Then, GoodPlayer is an excellent choice, unless you have AC-3 audio.

Batnun
Oct 25, 2012, 04:37 AM
Heh. Fortunately I already have it installed, and once purchased you can even reinstall. I haven't found a single bug running under iOS6 so am bemused as to why it's been withdrawn.

I also have it inatalled, but I'm going to pre-order the iPad 4 on Friday...

When you restore your device from the iCloud backup, it's actually re-download all the apps from the App Store, and if one app is removed - you're not going to have it... :(

Is anyone in touch with the developers? Any updates?

Batnun

Peter62
Oct 25, 2012, 07:48 AM
It does, unfortunately.

----------

No full HD? Then, GoodPlayer is an excellent choice, unless you have AC-3 audio.

Hi i am following this discussion as i am trying to figure out why goodplayer is not playing audio on most of the avi files and video-ts files. I stream the media with use of the FTPcloud player and an external harddisk. On some avi files it does but not on the majority, is this a bug of goodplayer or is it something simple i have overseen?
Thanx for your opinion guys

Menneisyys2
Oct 25, 2012, 02:18 PM
Hi i am following this discussion as i am trying to figure out why goodplayer is not playing audio on most of the avi files and video-ts files. I stream the media with use of the FTPcloud player and an external harddisk. On some avi files it does but not on the majority, is this a bug of goodplayer or is it something simple i have overseen?
Thanx for your opinion guys

If the ts files are direct US DVB recordings, then, they have AC3 audio, which GP won't play back. Use yaPlayer - see my posts at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1442819

A lot of avi's contain ac3 too.

EricDeVries
Oct 26, 2012, 05:32 AM
Hi, I’ve read this thread and a few others as well, but I'm still a bit confused. It'd be great if you could advise the best player for iPad taking into account:
-I really only watch avi, mp4, mkv (720p is the highest quality I watch, nothing really above that, most of it below it).
-Some of these files have ac3 audio but at the same time I don't know much about what other 'types' of audio there are (or is ac3 just a specific way of adding audio to a video file?).
-I only watch video files on my iPad, I don't hook it up to a TV or anything like that, so I'm only concerned with iPad playback.
-I'll gladly pay for an proper app, it doesn't have to be free.

I might have left out essential info but I can't think of anything else. Should you need more info, do let me know. Many thanks in advance for your tips/suggestions!

Regards,

Eric

Menneisyys2
Oct 27, 2012, 12:55 PM
Hi, I’ve read this thread and a few others as well, but I'm still a bit confused. It'd be great if you could advise the best player for iPad taking into account:
-I really only watch avi, mp4, mkv (720p is the highest quality I watch, nothing really above that, most of it below it).
-Some of these files have ac3 audio but at the same time I don't know much about what other 'types' of audio there are (or is ac3 just a specific way of adding audio to a video file?).
-I only watch video files on my iPad, I don't hook it up to a TV or anything like that, so I'm only concerned with iPad playback.
-I'll gladly pay for an proper app, it doesn't have to be free.

I might have left out essential info but I can't think of anything else. Should you need more info, do let me know. Many thanks in advance for your tips/suggestions!

Regards,

Eric

H.264 720p is not decodeable on the iPad unless you have the iPad 4 (a6x CPU). Therefore, if you do want to play back 720p stuff, you either go for a hardware MKV + H.264 player or manually remux your MKV files to MP4 ones with (preferably) Subler.

I'd say go for the "It's Playing" + GoodPlayer combo. The forthcoming, 3.7 version of the former is an absolute beast and is far better than the current 3.5 one. It also (still?) has AC-3 support. (I'm a closed betatester of the app - this is why I have first-hand info on it.) GoodPlayer, on the other hand, plays files not really well played by It's Playing; for example, MPEG-2 TS ones. (Unless they have AC-3 audio, of course.)

vdubbeet
Oct 31, 2012, 05:57 AM
So what should I use to be able to watch MKZ movies, TV Shows, etc on iPad 2? Within the next month, I will be upgrading to iPad 3 but until then, I was hoping to be able to use the iPad 2 to view. I was able to get it to flawlessly play on my MBP using VLC (I think it brought it the audio). I read some threads yesterday regarding handbrake so I put 2 episodes of 1 show through handbrake which turned them into mp4 however, when I went to sync the iPad and move the files over, iPad says that format was not supported. Did I do something incorrectly? Too many options available. I don't need subtitles, only audio and video. Look forward to hearing your opinions. Thanks in advance.
Happy Halloween (to those who celebrate).

Menneisyys2
Oct 31, 2012, 06:05 AM
So what should I use to be able to watch MKZ movies, TV Shows, etc on iPad 2? Within the next month, I will be upgrading to iPad 3 but until then, I was hoping to be able to use the iPad 2 to view. I was able to get it to flawlessly play on my MBP using VLC (I think it brought it the audio). I read some threads yesterday regarding handbrake so I put 2 episodes of 1 show through handbrake which turned them into mp4 however, when I went to sync the iPad and move the files over, iPad says that format was not supported. Did I do something incorrectly? Too many options available. I don't need subtitles, only audio and video. Look forward to hearing your opinions. Thanks in advance.
Happy Halloween (to those who celebrate).

You will want to set the H.264 level of those videos to 4.1 at most; then, iTunes will be able to synch it. Use Subler for this. Here's my quick tutorial:

In Subler, click the video track in the upper list if you want to play the video back in the stock Videos app on your iDevice and not in a third-party one. (iTunes refuses synchronizing anything over level 4.1.) If you see anything larger than 4.1 (4.2, 5.1 etc.) in the bottommost “H.264 Video Profile / Level” drop-down list, feel free to set it to 3.1 or 4.1 to enable synchronization:

http://static.iphonelife.com/sites/iphonelife.com/files/resize/remote/46a8322f182f0d1075c6b52d149b4b5d-700x585.png
(Make sure you select the video stream and nothing else for the drop-down list (annotated by a red rectangle above) to become visible AND editable! It'll be the uppermost item, as you can also see in the above screenshot.)

Again, this can be done to already-existing M4V files which have too large a level to be successfully synchronized by iTunes to your iDevice. Actually, using Subler to “patch” an existing “over-leveled” m4v file is much-MUCH faster and more reliable than the traditional, old ways explained in my dedicated article (http://www.iphonelife.com/blog/87/making-stock-videos-application-play-every-mp4-files-possible).

mti14
Oct 31, 2012, 09:57 PM
For those of us who still have AVPlayerHD on our iPads, will they still work like they've been or will they stop working?

vdubbeet
Nov 1, 2012, 01:00 AM
You will want to set the H.264 level of those videos to 4.1 at most; then, iTunes will be able to synch it. Use Subler for this. Here's my quick tutorial:

In Subler, click the video track in the upper list if you want to play the video back in the stock Videos app on your iDevice and not in a third-party one. (iTunes refuses synchronizing anything over level 4.1.) If you see anything larger than 4.1 (4.2, 5.1 etc.) in the bottommost “H.264 Video Profile / Level” drop-down list, feel free to set it to 3.1 or 4.1 to enable synchronization:

Image (http://static.iphonelife.com/sites/iphonelife.com/files/resize/remote/46a8322f182f0d1075c6b52d149b4b5d-700x585.png)
(Make sure you select the video stream and nothing else for the drop-down list (annotated by a red rectangle above) to become visible AND editable! It'll be the uppermost item, as you can also see in the above screenshot.)

Again, this can be done to already-existing M4V files which have too large a level to be successfully synchronized by iTunes to your iDevice. Actually, using Subler to “patch” an existing “over-leveled” m4v file is much-MUCH faster and more reliable than the traditional, old ways explained in my dedicated article (http://www.iphonelife.com/blog/87/making-stock-videos-application-play-every-mp4-files-possible).

Thanks again, Menneisyys2. Figured out how to get to the queue however whenever I try to convert, I get the attached error. Any insight you can provide would be awesome. Thanks!

Menneisyys2
Nov 1, 2012, 02:46 AM
For those of us who still have AVPlayerHD on our iPads, will they still work like they've been or will they stop working?

It'll work.

simmo0916
Nov 1, 2012, 04:42 AM
Cool - my wife is Finnish too. She got her degree here in the US though, so English comes pretty well.

She's the only Finnish person I've ever met though that didn't have a noticeable accent, so she's probably an outlier.

My wife is also Finnish - But jumped ship to the US whilst a child... Then went back again at about age 8. No accent at all.. Then again she speaks swedish and not Finnish! So there are more of em out there! Speaking to her you wouldnt make a Finnish connection at all - She just sounds American :D

coldpower27
Nov 3, 2012, 06:05 AM

I still have the player as of now i have it even on my iPad 4 Gen. Since i have it downloaded locally.

cooa99
Nov 11, 2012, 10:06 AM
Hi guys,

I have an ATV2 & ATV3 and noticed today that Buzz player does not airplay well with ATV3.

only the sound can be heard on ATV3 but ATV2 airplay works fine....

Anyone with ATV3 issues?

any other player that allows streaming from Nas?

cheers

cooa99

rirawin
Nov 11, 2012, 10:19 AM
Can anyone upload the local version?

I brought avplayer so its under my account but I can't download it anymore and I really want it back.

007p
Nov 12, 2012, 06:03 PM
So I'm guessing that avplayer got too good for its own good and apple removed it since it was fast becoming the 'go to' app?

It got removed quite a while ago, any new news regarding it?

I'm glad I still have it for both ipad and iphone, even transferred them off my old pc, even got the old vlc! But this is getting annoying.

How is the old app on the new iphone 5?

yegon
Nov 12, 2012, 11:32 PM
How is the old app on the new iphone 5?

Works fine but obviously doesn't take advantage of the new res.

Menneisyys2
Nov 13, 2012, 04:29 AM
So I'm guessing that avplayer got too good for its own good and apple removed it since it was fast becoming the 'go to' app?

It surely wasn't Apple. I think they do know that the iOS platform is severely handicapped (compared to, in hardware-assisted media playback, superior OS'es like Symbian or Android) because of the huge restriction of not letting devs use direct hardware acceleration for H.264 for non-native containers. I don't think they would want to further chase away power users (people not (only) wanting to play back movies purchased from the iTunes store) from the platform.

It got removed quite a while ago, any new news regarding it?

I'll let you all know when it's out. (I'm in a mail correspondence with the devs.)

----------

Can anyone upload the local version?

I brought avplayer so its under my account but I can't download it anymore and I really want it back.

Won't work as it's signed - you wouldn't be able to deploy it on your iDevice.

----------

Hi guys,

I have an ATV2 & ATV3 and noticed today that Buzz player does not airplay well with ATV3.

only the sound can be heard on ATV3 but ATV2 airplay works fine....

Anyone with ATV3 issues?

As I've pointed out in my review of Buzz 4.0, AirPlay support is problematic (I've only tested it on the ATV3; dunno why it's working on your ATV2. Is the latter JB'n?) Let me cite the dedicated part of the review:

The still-existing bugs & problems

a.) Still no support for MKV's with DTS audio tracks

b.) Still no support for non-mirrored AirPlay playback for software decoded videos. Anything software-decoded can only be displayed using the mirrored mode of AirPlay (after you explicitly enable mirroring on top of connecting to the AirPlay target), which means there won't even be a semi-16:9, somewhat wider display, unlike with AVPlayerHD or HD Player Pro.

When connected to an Apple TV (or another AirPlay receiver) without mirroring, only content played back in hardware is displayed. (Then, it's the hardware player component that senses the TV being connected and not Buzz Player., which is completely unaware of the TV being present.) This also involves hardware-decoded MKV files. Of course, the well-known problem of complete playback restart upon switching to a new, decoded MKV chunk is still present (for example, give a try to the Kung Fu Hustle intro MKV test video – it'll drop you out back to the main menu of the ATV at 0:14 before the end of the file), rendering MKV playback completely useless on a large screen over AirPlay.

Wired TV connections work as expected (the entire screen is used; both HW- and SW-based decoding work flawlessly, including MKV playback – something where HD Player Pro fails at, as is explained in yesterday's update of my article initially published the day before yesterday etc.), including selecting the output resolution.

lotorus
Nov 13, 2012, 09:48 AM
AnyPlayer seems to be a worthy alternative. I haven't clocked much time with it, as AVPlayer is to hard to abandon.

Menneisyys2
Nov 13, 2012, 03:32 PM
AnyPlayer seems to be a worthy alternative. I haven't clocked much time with it, as AVPlayer is to hard to abandon.

Sorry for being a bearer of bad news, but I don't think AnyPlayer's decoder performance is in any way can be compared to AVPlayer.

I've thoroughly re-tested the current version and found out that it's equally bad (very low-performance decoders, no hardware MKV acceleration etc. etc.) as was the one I reviewed in late May. Let me cite my full review:

Quick review: video player AnyPlayer(HD) updated, boasts better performance

So far, I haven't dedicated a separate article to AnyPlayer (AppStore link (http://itunes.apple.com/app/anyplayerhd/id461464604?mt=8)) because I didn't consider it a viable alternative to the most powerful players in the AppStore (It's Playing, GoodPlayer, AVPlayerHD / ProPlayer, BUZZ Player) or, for jailbroken iDevices, Cydia (XBMC, RushPlayer+).

Today's update boasts better performance (as usual, click the image for a bigger version!):

http://static.iphonelife.com/sites/iphonelife.com/files/resize/remote/ec88dbca5074f4833474af180b90e01c-600x450.jpg (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/13100693/html/042012RetinaHDVideoPlayers/AnyPlayerUpdate.PNG)

so I took the time to update my previous (so far, internal, albeit you can also access it in the dedicated column in the under-construction version chart (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/13100693/html/042012RetinaHDVideoPlayers/201204-mm-chart.ods) of my forthcoming iOS Multimedia bible) notes on the app's behavior.

To make it short: unfortunately, it seems there isn't any performance fixes, at least not any I could notice. For example,

1, the Full HD MKV files (with H.264) still play decidedly slower than with AVPlayerHD / ProPlayer (which boast the best Full HD software decoder). Not even 720p (see the Harry Potter test video) H.264 is decoded properly in software.

2, quarter-FHD-resolution WMV files, while play back pretty good (but, with the VC-1 Advanced, WMA Pro test file, with some stuttering at the end) are still suffering from the same low-color-resolution bug I've pointed out in my WMV bible (http://www.iphonelife.com/blog/87/playing-back-wmv-videos-%E2%80%93-complete-roundup)

3, the MSMPEG4 decoder is still as bad as used to be and WAY worse than that of the best players (see my post HERE (http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-apps/77042-movies-ipad.html#post557696) for a list)

4, still no ASS subtitle support, still no OGG support, still no embedded subtitles for TS (DVB) files (at least they do work for MKV's), still no audio track selection, still no volume / brightness boosting, still the same problems with accessing UPnP shares as before etc.; that is, no new functionality / bugfixes of major bugs at all.

There is only one pretty much unique feature in this app, the color saturation change. However, now that It's Playing (which also has saturation setting, even when playing back H.264 streams in hardware!) has been fixed and made one of the best players, I simply don't see any point in not preferring it to AnyPlayer(HD).

All in all, stay away. It's simply not as good as the best players out there and definitely NOT worth its price tag.

kaniSS
Nov 13, 2012, 08:33 PM

GO into your appstore and under updates click on purchases and download it to your phone.

007p
Nov 14, 2012, 10:26 AM
I'll let you all know when it's out. (I'm in a mail correspondence with the devs.)

So for sure it will be back? Obviously what it will be like / when is unknown, but at least it will come back at some point.

Sorry to be a bother, any way to find out more about this Dolby / Ac3 issue? Tried a few quick google searches but didnt find much. Is it just ios this is effecting? Other mobile platforms? What about standalone media players (plugged into tv), i.e. 'media jukeboxes' - popcorn, dune etc. ?

milkmandan
Nov 14, 2012, 03:17 PM
They stated they are trying to get the player back to the AppStore. I bet the case is the same is the recently-removed players (HD Player Pro, yaPlayer).
Thanks for keeping us updated Menneisyys2. Also the "Media player news (13/Nov): new versions / tests / removals of many players" post was really helpful. I downloaded iMedia Player as a temp fix for the missing AVPlayerHD and it has been fantastic so far on the iPhone5. Been able to watch all my mkv 10bit h264 anime without a hitch. Subs are not stylized, but i DGAF.

Again thanks~ hopefully we get AVPlayerHD back soon!

lotorus
Nov 14, 2012, 11:54 PM
I just got an email reply from Eplayworks:

Until we resolve the major patent issues,
From Apple's consulation, we have decide to take AVPlayer, AVPlayerHD remove from AppStore.
Currently we can't promise how long, but we will do our best to come back with a solution.

If you want to download previous AVPlayer version, refer to following link.
http://support.apple.com/kb/PH1706?viewlocale=en_US

At least people who have purchased it in the past, can still access it on their new devices. (i haven't verified this works)

johan67
Nov 15, 2012, 02:28 AM
Firstly I would like to thank Menneisyys2 for all his feedback.

This whole thing from Dolby is really strange. I have tried to find more info on the web but thus far this thread has been the one with the most info.

Some questions still remain:
-Why is Dolby going after iOS? I've checked "BUZZ Player" on the Google Play Store, and it still has AC3 support.

-What about Windows? Will they be going after VLC and other players on that platform as well?

Hopefully the guy at Dolby that hates Apple can get over his problems.

007p
Nov 15, 2012, 12:48 PM
-What about Windows? Will they be going after VLC and other players on that platform as well?

I cant find much about it either.

But I would guess going after windows - vlc and other players would be extremely pointless, on iOS, if something isnt on the app store, the only other option to get that particular app onto your phone means you have to jailbreak. Windows/PC on the other hand...

I wonder if that's why it seems like only iOS is effected, since that's the only real platform they could 'police' it on.

rirawin
Nov 15, 2012, 01:38 PM
Holy crap!

Got my ipad4, goto itunes to dl my previous dl apps an avplayer is there and it works!!.

yoot123
Nov 15, 2012, 02:23 PM
latest version of iMedia Player no longer supports ac3 .

Menneisyys2
Nov 15, 2012, 03:29 PM
latest version of iMedia Player no longer supports ac3 .

Yup - too bad they haven't warned the updaters at all. Nevertheless, earlier (pre-1.1) versions have had equally great codec support - no wonder I heartily recommended it back then. That is, if you do need AC-3, you can safely use the pre-1.1 versions.

lbatista
Nov 15, 2012, 03:30 PM
:confused: It's a shame they retreived "AVPlayerHD" from the App Store.

I have it on my IPad 2 and its the only Video Player App that play's any MKV in 720p resolution. It supports hardware decoding and multitasking decoding. Its these 2 options combined that make it play those HD videos in perfection.

And it's so easy. :) Just download the MKV and insert it into the IPad with drag'n'drop in iTunes. And without waiting 2 or 3 hours for a conversion from mkv to mp4. :p
I think mkv videos are Apple's weakest point and don't understand why they insist on mp4 and mov when almost every HD video in the internet is mkv matroska. And if the iPad 2 can decode these videos with hardware decoding why don't they explore this capability and give their clients what they want?

I also liked "It's Playing" App but some updates made this app unable to play 720p MKV videos on my Ipad 2. It's a shame. :(

Still to find a better player than AVPlayerHD and hope it returns soon to the App Store. I have many friends that would like to download it.

yoot123
Nov 16, 2012, 10:17 AM
does anyone know if avplayer will ever be back ? also will there be any video apps left that play mkv with ac3 . thanks

Menneisyys2
Nov 16, 2012, 10:24 AM
does anyone know if avplayer will ever be back ?

See the above mail except: definitely not in the near future.

also will there be any video apps left that play mkv with ac3 . thanks

MKV + AC3? Jailbreak and use RushPlayer+ or XBMC or, if you don't jailbreak, purchase It's Playing ASAP, while it's still at version 3.7.1. (The next version may drop AC-3.)

CyberMew
Nov 17, 2012, 05:16 AM
See the above mail except: definitely not in the near future.

MKV + AC3? Jailbreak and use RushPlayer+ or XBMC or, if you don't jailbreak, purchase It's Playing ASAP, while it's still at version 3.7.1. (The next version may drop AC-3.)

It's Playing got updated to 3.8 about 8 hours ago with the codecs removed.

Menneisyys2
Nov 17, 2012, 09:06 AM
It's Playing got updated to 3.8 about 8 hours ago with the codecs removed.

Bad news...

007p
Nov 17, 2012, 10:52 AM
Some more info here;

http://www.itsplayingapp.com/audiopatent.html

Restricted Audio
From version 3.8 onwards, we have been forced to disable It's playing access to AC3, EAC3 and MLP encoded audio. AC3 is a widely used format present, for example, in DVDs. The reason for this restriction is that It's playing's usage of the open-sourced, free, FFmpeg decoding library has been seen as an infringement of AC3 patents by the holders. Many other open-source and closed-source applications are using this technology. We are striving to overcome this issue as soon as we can and will post information here as it becomes available.

yoot123
Nov 17, 2012, 05:30 PM
its playing and yplayer no longer support ac3. is there anyway to make dolby stop this madness .

Menneisyys2
Nov 17, 2012, 06:13 PM
its playing and yplayer no longer support ac3. is there anyway to make dolby stop this madness .

Jailbreak and use RushPlayer+ or XBMC...

cvs
Nov 18, 2012, 12:54 PM
The other thread mentions CineXPlayer.
Is that still a good alternative?

Are the claims of the dev true that they will not drop AC3 support?
Seems they now support MKV, do we know if it can play 720p and 1080p as well as the AVPlayerHD?

007p
Nov 18, 2012, 01:12 PM
The other thread mentions CineXPlayer.
Is that still a good alternative?

Are the claims of the dev true that they will not drop AC3 support?
Seems they now support MKV, do we know if it can play 720p and 1080p as well as the AVPlayerHD?

They wont drop ac3 afaik, they have support of some kind from dolby so they are covered.

That being said, just looking through the reviews suggests that mkv playback is not good, to the extent that some still dont even work.

Tulipo
Nov 18, 2012, 02:41 PM
Are there any other apps other than azul that can play videos at different speeds? Specifically mp4? Azul does an okay job but it will start to stutter after a short period of time when playing back video at 1.5 or 2.0 speed.

Tulipo
Nov 18, 2012, 06:40 PM
A lot of them. Check out row 39 ("Speed change") at https://dl.dropbox.com/u/81986513/112012/201204-mm-chart.ods - it's the work-in-progress chart of my forthcoming Multimedia bible.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link but for some reason it's not opening anything. Just downloads a zip but doesn't open anything.

yoot123
Nov 19, 2012, 06:49 AM
will any of the apps offer ac3 support as an iap ?

wake1
Nov 19, 2012, 08:37 AM
I have AV Player HD on my ipad 2 and I have started to notice that when I add videos to the app, it will gradually start to increase the amount of memory taken up by "other" when plugged into iTunes. I can't think of anything else that would do this except for this app. I know that it is not the size of the video that increases the "other"section of the memory. That shows p in the "apps"section. The only way to reduce it again is to do a full restore of the ipad which gets it down to 0.52GB. But after a while it gradually creeps up to over 1GB.
Does any one else have experience of this? And how do I stop it doing this?

Many thanks.

Menneisyys2
Nov 19, 2012, 09:15 AM
I have AV Player HD on my ipad 2 and I have started to notice that when I add videos to the app, it will gradually start to increase the amount of memory taken up by "other" when plugged into iTunes. I can't think of anything else that would do this except for this app. I know that it is not the size of the video that increases the "other"section of the memory. That shows p in the "apps"section. The only way to reduce it again is to do a full restore of the ipad which gets it down to 0.52GB. But after a while it gradually creeps up to over 1GB.
Does any one else have experience of this? And how do I stop it doing this?

Many thanks.

Instead of a full restore, did you try just deleting and, then, reinstalling the app?

wake1
Nov 19, 2012, 09:44 AM
Instead of a full restore, did you try just deleting and, then, reinstalling the app?

Yeah I tried that and it only works sometimes. Have you come across this before?
And I know it's not really on topic. But I have a few mkv files with a resolution of 1280x544 and want to change this to 1280x720 so I don't get such big black lines at top. Is there a way to do this? Maybe remuxing? I've started to use yaplayer rather than av player and can't change screen resolution like you cold in av player hd.

Many thanks.

Menneisyys2
Nov 19, 2012, 10:00 AM
Yeah I tried that and it only works sometimes. Have you come across this before?

Yup, many times, with tons of other apps - it's a known problem with iOS.

Robilar
Nov 21, 2012, 12:57 PM
That is unfortunate regarding AVPlayer HD.

I have it on my wife's IPad 2 and it works well.

Is there a way to transfer the app to my new IPad mini (Which has a separate Apple ID)?

If that is not the case, could someone recommend which current player to download (paid or otherwise)?

I primarily watch MP4 or AVI files with the odd mkv file.

Thanks

NVM, I figured out how to transfer AVPlayerHD to the IPad Mini.

007p
Nov 26, 2012, 11:08 AM
What about free apps? Isn't the infringement from selling the app commercially? Even if that is the case, I doubt there are any apps around that are good players and free? Do you know of any free ones that have dropped AC-3? Wonder if there is a loop hole in making an app free then charging for all the other codecs, i.e. the price of the app as an iap while keeping the ac-3 playback free, doubt it but be interested to know.

Menneisyys2
Nov 26, 2012, 12:11 PM
What about free apps? Isn't the infringement from selling the app commercially? Even if that is the case, I doubt there are any apps around that are good players and free? Do you know of any free ones that have dropped AC-3? Wonder if there is a loop hole in making an app free then charging for all the other codecs, i.e. the price of the app as an iap while keeping the ac-3 playback free, doubt it but be interested to know.

Qqplayer, MoliPlayer are both free but still forced to drop AC3.

Airees
Nov 29, 2012, 06:34 AM
Hello.

I was just wondering if someone got any news about when AVplayer returns to appstore? I am getting kinda mad now because apple just destroy...cant watch my videos on my iPad!

Thanks.
Airees.

Menneisyys2
Nov 29, 2012, 06:36 AM
Hello.

I was just wondering if someone got any news about when AVplayer returns to appstore? I am getting kinda mad now because apple just destroy...cant watch my videos on my iPad!

Thanks.
Airees.

Not known yet. Convert your videos' AC3 track or, if your problem isn't the lack of AC-3 support but MKV playback in general, remux.

adammsu
Nov 29, 2012, 03:20 PM
i like azul and aceplayer

ace often goes free. good thing is that it allows samba access (to my NAS :) )

netant
Nov 29, 2012, 10:52 PM
Qqplayer, MoliPlayer are both free but still forced to drop AC3.

How much is the AC3 licensing cost? MPEG2 is just about $2.5 USD per unit. AC3 shouldn't be too far.

Menneisyys2
Nov 30, 2012, 04:18 AM
How much is the AC3 licensing cost? MPEG2 is just about $2.5 USD per unit. AC3 shouldn't be too far.

They're asking for a LOT of money (around $1/copy + $20-$30k annual fee, independent of actual sales) - this is why, so far, no iOS dev has licensed their technology, except for their long-time partner, the CineXplayer devs. The latter may have to pay far less, being a long-time licensor and the other players being, IMHO, punished by Dolby with incredibly high, unpayable licensing fees.

rsxmachine
Nov 30, 2012, 12:30 PM
new app just came out that supports ac3. Its iphone/ipod touch only app but its actually pretty good and free. get it before its gone and back it up.

Search Directplayer in the app store. There are also some other apps still with ac3 support, but they are in chinese.

Menneisyys2
Nov 30, 2012, 01:32 PM
new app just came out that supports ac3. Its iphone/ipod touch only app but its actually pretty good and free. get it before its gone and back it up.

Search Directplayer in the app store. There are also some other apps still with ac3 support, but they are in chinese.

Thanks, testing it and will publish a writeup very soon.

rsxmachine
Nov 30, 2012, 04:30 PM
Thanks, testing it and will publish a writeup very soon.

It's supposed to work with iPad but it doesn't. Too bad if like to grab iPad version and back that up.

netant
Nov 30, 2012, 04:30 PM
They're asking for a LOT of money (around $1/copy + $20-$30k annual fee, independent of actual sales) - this is why, so far, no iOS dev has licensed their technology, except for their long-time partner, the CineXplayer devs. The latter may have to pay far less, being a long-time licensor and the other players being, IMHO, punished by Dolby with incredibly high, unpayable licensing fees.

Is Dolby obligated to license in a 'Reasonable and non-discriminatory' way?
If, like you said in a different post, CINEXPLAYER (or whatever it called, it's horrible compare to olayer/goodplayer) can license ac3 for about $1.

described here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reasonable_and_non-discriminatory_licensing

I need goodplayer/oplayer to watch my movies...

Menneisyys2
Nov 30, 2012, 05:02 PM
It's supposed to work with iPad but it doesn't. Too bad if like to grab iPad version and back that up.

It does work on the iPad.

Is Dolby obligated to license in a 'Reasonable and non-discriminatory' way?

They could come up with a licensing construction that is viable for most devs. Not $25k / year lincesing fees and other punishments.

rsxmachine
Nov 30, 2012, 05:53 PM
It does work on the iPad.

----------

The reason for CineXPlayer's being able to license AC-3 may be that they have been a long-time partner of Dolby, meaning far less license fees, lack of annual fees etc.

Currently, as I've also explained in my just-published, dedicated article (see http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16401674 ), iOS devs just can't afford to pay ~$25k annually, and, on top of that, the $1/piece license. They have, generally, far less income from those players.

----------

They could come up with a licensing construction that is viable for most devs. Not $25k / year lincesing fees and other punishments.

Ya it will work on iPad but in iPhone compatibility mode. If you look at the AppStore link there is an iPad tab and pics meaning there is a screw up somewhere.

taz79
Nov 30, 2012, 11:25 PM
DirectPlayer at the moment sucks... I tried it ... no sound for some mkv

Menneisyys2
Dec 1, 2012, 01:20 AM
DirectPlayer at the moment sucks... I tried it ... no sound for some mkv

It's only AAC that is not supported. Everything else is - have you read my review?

yoot123
Dec 1, 2012, 11:09 PM
can someone reach the developers of Its Playing and inform them how 8player got ac3 working . thanks

wake1
Dec 12, 2012, 03:50 AM
Has anyone tried nplayer? I've found it quite good. On par with avplayer hd I would say.

Menneisyys2
Dec 12, 2012, 05:26 AM
Has anyone tried nplayer? I've found it quite good. On par with avplayer hd I would say.

It has some excellent features like multi-subs at the same time and HW MKV playback. However, its H.264 decoder is still way worse than that of AVPlayer, yaPlayer and the like.

(more info: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1490454 )

wake1
Dec 12, 2012, 05:48 AM
Ok. Thanks for reply. So what is the one you recommend the most? I mainly play mp4, and 720p mkvs.

Menneisyys2
Dec 12, 2012, 06:17 AM
Ok. Thanks for reply. So what is the one you recommend the most? I mainly play mp4, and 720p mkvs.

Well, if you only play back mp4's and MKV's (which means strictly hardware playback), you won't suffer from the slow(er) h.264 decoder. That is, you don't need to switch to another player.

wake1
Dec 12, 2012, 06:30 AM
So what would the h.264 decoder be used to play?

Menneisyys2
Dec 12, 2012, 06:51 AM
So what would the h.264 decoder be used to play?

Anything non-iOS-native (mp4 / mov / m4v) or MKV - for example, MTS files.

wake1
Dec 12, 2012, 06:54 AM
Would you still reccomend it's playing over anything else?

Menneisyys2
Dec 12, 2012, 07:06 AM
Would you still reccomend it's playing over anything else?

It, as with all the other iOS players, all depends on what you want to play. For mp4 / mkv, nPlayer is decent. For anything requiring h.264 software decoding, it isn't.

wake1
Dec 12, 2012, 09:27 AM
It, as with all the other iOS players, all depends on what you want to play. For mp4 / mkv, nPlayer is decent. For anything requiring h.264 software decoding, it isn't.

Which app has the best for h.264 software decoding then? The best one overall would you suggest?

Menneisyys2
Dec 12, 2012, 10:11 AM
Which app has the best for h.264 software decoding then? The best one overall would you suggest?

There are several of them; for example, yaPlayer. Nevertheless, if you don't want to play back for example MTS files, you won't ever need them.

Sano89
Dec 12, 2012, 11:23 AM
WMVplayer

Menneisyys2
Dec 12, 2012, 11:52 AM
WMVplayer

Unfortunately, WMV Player is one of the worst players. Let me cite my review of the app (from my WMV Playback bible):

1.1 „WMV Player” - the title that doesn't really deliver high-quality video

If you search for the word “WMV” in AppStore, right the first (in the US AppStore) or the second (in some other, non-US AppStores) hit will be the $1.99 WMV Player:

http://static.iphonelife.com/sites/iphonelife.com/files/resize/remote/f46229afbd4e6a84487564d34f3fe97f-450x295.jpg (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13100693/html/042012RetinaHDVideoPlayers/wmvs/wmplayerusappstore.png)
(US appstore (as with all the images in this roundup, click it to get the full-sized, full-quality one!))

http://static.iphonelife.com/sites/iphonelife.com/files/resize/remote/f4257b0355b771afbba0ddba441c3db1-450x323.jpg (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13100693/html/042012RetinaHDVideoPlayers/wmvs/wmplayernonusappstore.png)
(non-US appstore – note that I've also purchased, as with all the other iPad media players for my multimedia article series, AVPlayerHD from the same store. Interestingly, iTunes still lists the price instead of “Downloaded” or “Update” here.)

So, this app is immensely popular. Is it that good, then?

The answer is no. Actually, it's one of the least-recommended.

Why? It's simple. It doesn't have any local, native WMV playback capabilities. It just uploads (!!) the WMV it receives via “Open In” (when the WMV file is passed from another app) to its server, converts it to another format playable by WMV Player and sends it back.

What's the problem, then?

- First and foremost, it can only process files up to 50 Mbytes in size. It's OK if you would only use it to play back WMV files received in mails or the clips you download off the Web are small(ish). However, this alone makes it impossible to play back pre-existing, large(r) files you transfer to the app via iTunes' File Sharing.

- The videos it produces are of quite bad quality. For example, HERE (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13100693/html/042012RetinaHDVideoPlayers/wmvs/4-wmv-quarter_source_VBR_Q95_VC1Advanced_WMAPro_-convertedByWMVPlayer.mp4) is the converted version of my standard test video (original HERE (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13100693/html/042012RetinaHDVideoPlayers/wmv/4-wmv-quarter_source_VBR_Q95_VC1Advanced_WMAPro.wmv)). The mere fact that the converted version is one-third the size of the original already shows it, to put it mildly, isn't of the best quality. And it indeed isn't. It's pretty awful. (Just compare the image quality of two files in a decent desktop player like VLC!)

- You can't convert Full HD files, even those under the 50 Mbyte limit. Unfortunately, you're only told this when the upload (which can be VERY time-consuming) is over and not beforehand. (Well, a simple resolution check should be implemented in the app to avoid having to upload high-res files. It shouldn't be that hard.)

A screenshot of the app announcing it can't convert the video (after uploading, of course):

http://static.iphonelife.com/sites/iphonelife.com/files/resize/remote/1f89e5636d7c771bbf107e2e2a444821-450x600.jpg (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13100693/html/042012RetinaHDVideoPlayers/wmvs/wmpplayer-cantplay.PNG)

- As it's mostly Full HD resolutions that should be converted (as the current iOS hardware is plain incapable of correctly playing back Full HD WMV footage – then, a client/server remote solution like this would indeed be a godsend!), the complete lack of Full HD support is one of the biggest problems. Should the app (that is, the server side) support it, I would even recommend this app as one that provides stuttering-less full HD playback. Unfortunately, that's not the case.

NOTE: upon finishing uploading a (compatible, that is, non-full HD) file, it automatically gets played. The video, then, is played back at 4:3 aspect ratio and vertically stretched; that is, it'll play back 16:9 (2.35:1 etc.) movies / clips distorted and you can't switch to the right aspect ratio. To play back videos at the original aspect ratio, stop playback, select saving and play the file after its download has been finished.

A sample list of the “Saved Media” screen:

http://static.iphonelife.com/sites/iphonelife.com/files/resize/remote/58225626d0638577d4bbd44610bc89dd-450x600.jpg (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13100693/html/042012RetinaHDVideoPlayers/wmvs/WmpplayerSavemedia.PNG)

Two screenshots of the aspect ratio difference between the two modes (pay particular attention to the details in the label in the bottom right corner!)

http://static.iphonelife.com/sites/iphonelife.com/files/resize/remote/2eb351699f756e138253efe702ff2a8f-450x338.jpg (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13100693/html/042012RetinaHDVideoPlayers/wmvs/wmvplayerimmediateplaybackq.PNG)
(immediate playback with awful quality)

http://static.iphonelife.com/sites/iphonelife.com/files/resize/remote/02fca8eb93e28b039e502babfe9737e6-450x338.jpg (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13100693/html/042012RetinaHDVideoPlayers/wmvs/wmvplayersavedplaybackq.PNG)
(playing back the same converted file, after downloading it – no distortion any more, unlike with the previous image!)

NOTE 2: the server handles most possible video and audio codec (and profile) combinations: video-wise WMV1, 2 and 3 and, audio-wise, both WMA and WMA Pro are all supported. So are the Simple, Main and Advanced profiles of WMV3 – VC-1. Nevertheless, there're some special cases it won't convert files; for example, 640*480 slideshows using WMV2 streams. An example which is, by the way, is played back flawlessly in – apart from some audio stuttering in some – all(!) WMV-capable third-party players, is HERE (http://tdyweb2.wbteam.com/Film/NagyFero_IgazsagotMagyarorszagnak.wmv). This is another reason you'll want to prefer a (decent) third-party player with native(!) WMV playback support to this player: it'll be able to play back these pretty common files.

wake1
Dec 13, 2012, 09:49 AM
Which apps have an audio boost feature?

Menneisyys2
Dec 13, 2012, 11:28 AM
Which apps have an audio boost feature?

Several for videos without hardware acceleration, the most important/recommended being GoodPlayer.

However, if you want to (are able to) play back hardware-accelerated iOS-native or MKV videos, you will need It's Playing - it's the only title to have audio boosting even while HW (not only the far less efficient) playback.

wake1
Dec 13, 2012, 01:32 PM
Hi
I just downloaded goodplayer. You are right. It does boost mp4 volumes. But it also boosted the volume of the mkv file I played as well. It's a 720p mkv file. Is that correct? Or did I misunderstand your previous post?

Menneisyys2
Dec 13, 2012, 03:27 PM
Hi
I just downloaded goodplayer. You are right. It does boost mp4 volumes. But it also boosted the volume of the mkv file I played as well. It's a 720p mkv file. Is that correct? Or did I misunderstand your previous post?

Volume boosting during mp4 playback means it doesn't use hardware acceleration. If you enabled it, there wouldn't be volume boosting. MKV's are always played back in software; this is why you see boosting there (too).

wake1
Dec 13, 2012, 05:07 PM
On the it's playing app, how do you change the aspect ratio so it works properly? I tried watching an mkv film and it had quite a big black bars at top and bottom. So I tried changing the aspect to 4:3 so it would play full screen and it actually made the video thinner and the black bars bigger. Does it depend on whether it is hardware or software decoded? Thanks.

Menneisyys2
Dec 14, 2012, 03:31 AM
On the it's playing app, how do you change the aspect ratio so it works properly? I tried watching an mkv film and it had quite a big black bars at top and bottom. So I tried changing the aspect to 4:3 so it would play full screen and it actually made the video thinner and the black bars bigger. Does it depend on whether it is hardware or software decoded? Thanks.

So, you want to crop off the left / right side of the video so that the image isn't distorted? (This is how, BTW, the stock Videos client zooms.)

wake1
Dec 14, 2012, 05:52 AM
No. When I've used other apps like av player hd or n player you can set the aspect ratio so that it plays full screen and doesn't crop off any of the video. Try it on n player. Set the aspect ratio to 4:3. I think if u tap twice on the screen it changed it too. From aspect fill to just fill. But when I try it on its playing it just makes the video smaller.

Menneisyys2
Dec 14, 2012, 09:00 AM
No. When I've used other apps like av player hd or n player you can set the aspect ratio so that it plays full screen and doesn't crop off any of the video. Try it on n player. Set the aspect ratio to 4:3. I think if u tap twice on the screen it changed it too. From aspect fill to just fill. But when I try it on its playing it just makes the video smaller.

Yup, It's Playing has never been able to fill in the screen without cropping (by introducing some heavy distortion). I'll send them a mail to ask when they introduce this feature.

In the meantime, want me to compile a list that do support filling? (I've already tested this - the results are already in my work-in-progress multimedia chart.)

wake1
Dec 14, 2012, 10:05 AM
Yup, It's Playing has never been able to fill in the screen without cropping (by introducing some heavy distortion). I'll send them a mail to ask when they introduce this feature.

In the meantime, want me to compile a list that do support filling? (I've already tested this - the results are already in my work-in-progress multimedia chart.)

Yeah could you compile a list. That would be great. Thanks.

Menneisyys2
Dec 15, 2012, 06:29 AM

Will do it. In the meantime, upon my request, the It's Playing folks have implemented "Fill screen" functionality. It's (a closed beta) working great on my iPad. That is, It's Playing will also support filling the screen in the AppStore version very soon.

Menneisyys2
Dec 17, 2012, 05:28 PM

I've compiled the promised list for you.

There are three sections below. You'll want to select a title from the first one if you plan to play back your videos hardware accelerated. If you don't, the titles listed in the second section will do fine, too.

Note that I've, in parentheses, also listed the way you can make a certain player fill the screen (on an iPad).

Section 1: Both in hardware accelerated and software decoding mode:

nPlayer (stacked pages icon in the lower right corner; tap until „Fill” is displayed in the center of the screen)

Media Player PRO (was: Movie Player HD+) (tap the upper right icon until it becomes two arrows pointing to the corners of the square)

all (even free ones) versions of MoliPlayer (leftmost icon on the main control bar)

ReplayerHD Pro

TTPlayerHD (upper right icon; tap until you see „Screen Resize – Full”)

LuberPlayerHD (leftmost icon on main control bar)

Playable (last-but-one icon on the top right)

TopPlayerHD (upper right icon)

ProPlayer (double tap)

AVPlayerHD (top right icon)

XBMC (Film roll icon (fourth from the right) > View Mode (set it to Stretch 4:3))

AnyPlayerHD (upper right icon)

Section 2: Only in software-decoded mode (as, in HW accelerated mode, they use the system-wide controller):

AcePlayer (by using 4:3 aspect ratio)

Oplayer HD (third icon from the left on the main control bar; select „4:3”)

GPlayer (by using 4:3 aspect ratio under the rightmost text icon on the main control bar > Aspect Ratio)

eXPlayer („A” icon (last-but-one on the right) > 4:3)

GoodPlayer (Settings / Aspect Ratio, set to 4:3)

Section 3: Absolutely no support for screen filling (these you'll want to skip):

stock Videos app
iMedia Player
YaPlayer
RockPlayer2
PowerPlayer
VLC (AppStore + Cydia 1.1.1)
WMV Player
Falcon Player and Downloader Pro for iPad
VM Player HD
viPlay
QQPlayerHD
PlayerXtreme
8player
HD Player Pro
Play Any Video Format - PlayerX HD
BUZZ Player HD
Movie Player – Plays any Video! by Dominic Rodemer
Azul Media Player - Video player for your iPad By Gplex
yxplayer
CineXPlayer – The best way to enjoy your Xvid movies by NXP Software B.V.
EC Player
It's Playing by Addition, Lda (FOR NOW!!!)
RushPlayer
flexPlayer

EDIT: I've also published a full article on this in the meantime: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16518070

yegon
Dec 18, 2012, 04:37 PM
Anyone ran iPad AVplayerHD on 6.0.2? Gonna hold off updating until I get firm confirmation it works fine. I'm sure it will, but no way am I taking the risk!

wake1
Dec 19, 2012, 03:48 AM
I've compiled the promised list for you.

There are three sections below. You'll want to select a title from the first one if you plan to play back your videos hardware accelerated. If you don't, the titles listed in the second section will do fine, too.

Note that I've, in parentheses, also listed the way you can make a certain player fill the screen (on an iPad).

Section 1: Both in hardware accelerated and software decoding mode:

nPlayer (stacked pages icon in the lower right corner; tap until „Fill” is displayed in the center of the screen)

Media Player PRO (was: Movie Player HD+) (tap the upper right icon until it becomes two arrows pointing to the corners of the square)

all (even free ones) versions of MoliPlayer (leftmost icon on the main control bar)

ReplayerHD Pro

TTPlayerHD (upper right icon; tap until you see „Screen Resize – Full”)

LuberPlayerHD (leftmost icon on main control bar)

Playable (last-but-one icon on the top right)

TopPlayerHD (upper right icon)

ProPlayer (double tap)

AVPlayerHD (top right icon)

XBMC (Film roll icon (fourth from the right) > View Mode (set it to Stretch 4:3))

AnyPlayerHD (upper right icon)

Section 2: Only in software-decoded mode (as, in HW accelerated mode, they use the system-wide controller):

AcePlayer (by using 4:3 aspect ratio)

Oplayer HD (third icon from the left on the main control bar; select „4:3”)

GPlayer (by using 4:3 aspect ratio under the rightmost text icon on the main control bar > Aspect Ratio)

eXPlayer („A” icon (last-but-one on the right) > 4:3)

GoodPlayer (Settings / Aspect Ratio, set to 4:3)

Section 3: Absolutely no support for screen filling (these you'll want to skip):

stock Videos app
iMedia Player
YaPlayer
RockPlayer2
PowerPlayer
VLC (AppStore + Cydia 1.1.1)
WMV Player
Falcon Player and Downloader Pro for iPad
VM Player HD
viPlay
QQPlayerHD
PlayerXtreme
8player
HD Player Pro
Play Any Video Format - PlayerX HD
BUZZ Player HD
Movie Player – Plays any Video! by Dominic Rodemer
Azul Media Player - Video player for your iPad By Gplex
yxplayer
CineXPlayer – The best way to enjoy your Xvid movies by NXP Software B.V.
EC Player
It's Playing by Addition, Lda (FOR NOW!!!)
RushPlayer
flexPlayer

EDIT: I've also published a full article on this in the meantime: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16518070

Thanks got this. When can we expect its playing to update?

Menneisyys2
Dec 19, 2012, 04:32 AM
Thanks got this. When can we expect its playing to update?

Dunno. I don't think before Christmas.

wake1
Dec 19, 2012, 07:02 AM
Dunno. I don't think before Christmas.
Ok. Thanks mate. I think I'm gonna start using its playing. Can it play 720p mkv files ok? And is it best to use the H/W decoder or S/W to play these files?

Menneisyys2
Dec 19, 2012, 11:37 AM
Ok. Thanks mate. I think I'm gonna start using its playing. Can it play 720p mkv files ok? And is it best to use the H/W decoder or S/W to play these files?

1, it can

2, ALWAYS try using HW decoding whenever you can. It's much better. Only switch back to SW decoding if HW acceleration doesn't work. (And don't forget to "thank" Apple for messing up video playback this bad by not letting programmers directly use hardware acceleration for non-native formats. Given that Windows Phone 8 / RT will soon receive the full-blown(!!) VLC player, I don't think there will be any point in sticking with iOS any more for non-native non-jailbroken video playback.)

007p
Dec 19, 2012, 12:15 PM
Anyone ran iPad AVplayerHD on 6.0.2? Gonna hold off updating until I get firm confirmation it works fine. I'm sure it will, but no way am I taking the risk!

I dont have an ipad mini, but just updated my iphone 5 and av player (phone version) still works fine :cool:

yegon
Dec 19, 2012, 01:59 PM
Thanks, I'll probably risk an update in the future at some point.

taskey
Dec 21, 2012, 04:45 AM
Av player hd is back. Just downloaded it £1.99 :) happy happy happy

Tracy

Menneisyys2
Dec 21, 2012, 05:10 AM
Av player hd is back. Just downloaded it £1.99 :) happy happy happy

Tracy

Yes! I've been also contacted by the devs. It's back - and has AC-3 support! Will very soon post a formal, full review.

cvs
Dec 21, 2012, 06:01 AM
It shows the same version from August, so nothing new to upgrade to.

Menneisyys2
Dec 21, 2012, 10:21 AM

But at least it exists.

yegon
Dec 21, 2012, 05:02 PM

Same on the iPad, which is fine as iPad version works great for me, but it supports the iPhone 5 res at last, get in!! Used GoodPlayer (post AC3 getting stripped) on the iPhone for a while for the 5 res support, but I personally prefer AVplayerHD for various reasons.

Edit: Watched a 40 minute 1.1gb mp4 file at the gym earlier, max brightness, audio over bluetooth. Only used about 9% battery. GoodPlayer used at *least* double that in the same scenario, using hw decoding. Great to have AVPlayer back.

007p
Dec 22, 2012, 11:12 AM
Yes! I've been also contacted by the devs. It's back - and has AC-3 support! Will very soon post a formal, full review.

Is the AC-3 support legit? Or will it be stripped as soon as Dolby finds out lol

Menneisyys2
Dec 23, 2012, 04:50 AM
Is the AC-3 support legit? Or will it be stripped as soon as Dolby finds out lol

It is - at least this is what the devs state.

----------

Edit: Watched a 40 minute 1.1gb mp4 file at the gym earlier, max brightness, audio over bluetooth. Only used about 9% battery. GoodPlayer used at *least* double that in the same scenario, using hw decoding.

Strange - it shouldn't, as both use HW decoding, which should mean they have exactly the same CU (and, consequently, battery) usage. I'll test the issue.

jackaz127
Dec 23, 2012, 06:43 AM
i noticed that avplayer hd is back on the store.
i know people used to consider it the best, but i can't find a review of this newly appeared version.
would you suggest me to buy it? :)

Branphma
Dec 23, 2012, 08:45 AM
Just tested the Player and am really satisfied with it. Plays any 720p flawlessly. However, i could not figure out how to switch audio tracks. It always plays the first track (e.g. english) and i can't find any button or something to change to the german audio track...
Anyone got a solution for this?
Best regards!

Menneisyys2
Dec 23, 2012, 12:48 PM
i know people used to consider it the best, but i can't find a review of this newly appeared version.
would you suggest me to buy it? :)

1, the new version is the same as that of August.

2, I've compared that version to the alternatives in each of my generic roundups (e.g., the WMV bible). You might want to check out my articles here at MacRumors. There are tons of them so you'll find a lot of info.

In general, the player is highly recommended.

3, surely get it, it's really worth it.

----------

Just tested the Player and am really satisfied with it. Plays any 720p flawlessly. However, i could not figure out how to switch audio tracks. It always plays the first track (e.g. english) and i can't find any button or something to change to the german audio track...
Anyone got a solution for this?
Best regards!

The audio / subtitle track switching is indeed very much messed up in both AVPlayerHD and its dumbed-down little brother, ProPlayer.

1, tap the Tool icon in the top right corner
2, tap the now-displayed Arrow icon on the far right of your video
3, tap the Tool icon in the audio row (the third one)
4, select your audio stream

jackaz127
Dec 23, 2012, 02:40 PM
thank you Branphma and Menneisyys2 for your kind replies. i purchased it and tried a 720p mkv and the reproduction was indeed flawless.

one problem i encountered was the inability to playback external .srt subtitles.
what i did was rename the file as the video but the player did not recognized the subtitles.
is that right?

kagami
Dec 23, 2012, 06:58 PM
But at least it exists.

Happy to hear that too! A good news before xmas!

Menneisyys2
Dec 24, 2012, 05:31 AM
thank you Branphma and Menneisyys2 for your kind replies. i purchased it and tried a 720p mkv and the reproduction was indeed flawless.

one problem i encountered was the inability to playback external .srt subtitles.
what i did was rename the file as the video but the player did not recognized the subtitles.
is that right?

It automatically loads SRT files of the same name. An example:

monsters-samefilename.m4v
monsters-samefilename.srt

I've also uploaded these files to https://dl.dropbox.com/u/81986513/122012/24-samenamedsrtfile/monsters-samefilename.m4v and https://dl.dropbox.com/u/81986513/122012/24-samenamedsrtfile/monsters-samefilename.srt , respectively, so that you can give them a try.

jackaz127
Dec 25, 2012, 04:53 AM
you're right! indeed it works!
thank you so much again

Menneisyys2
Dec 25, 2012, 08:53 AM

I've just posted one, very long and detailed one to http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16551960

I don't paste any part of it here as it's VERY long and couldn't find any part of it that has the same information content as the entire article (except for the first paragraph maybe. But, then, I'd have to copy almost the entire article).

----------

The audio / subtitle track switching is indeed very much messed up in both AVPlayerHD and its dumbed-down little brother, ProPlayer.

1, tap the Tool icon in the top right corner
2, tap the now-displayed Arrow icon on the far right of your video
3, tap the Tool icon in the audio row (the third one)
4, select your audio stream

In the just-mentioned article, I've posted this as a complete tutorial. Let me paste it here:

1.2 Selecting audio and (embedded) subtitle tracks

Unfortunately, selecting AVPlayer's active audio and embedded subtitle track is far from being intuitive. I'm too always being asked about how this needs to be done (an example, new question is HERE (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=16543837&postcount=138)).

During playback, it's impossible to change the active track – as opposed to almost all other multiple audio / subtitle track-capable players. (For example, with GoodPlayer, a double-swipe up/down and left/right for subtitle and audio track change, respectively.) It needs to be done in the file list view. In the following mini-tutorial, I show how it needs to be done. For the tutorial, I use the standardized Harry Potter test video MKV available for download HERE (http://www.auby.no/files/video_tests/h264_720p_hp_3.1_600kbps_aac_mp3_dual_audio_harry_potter.mkv). It has two audio tracks (English and Hindi).

First, in the file list view, tap the tool icon in the upper right corner. It's annotated in the following screenshot:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/81986513/122012/25-avplayer/avpl-trackchange1t.jpeg

Now, tap the now-displayed arrow icon on the far right of your video. It's also annotated in the following screenshot:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/81986513/122012/25-avplayer/avpl-trackchange2t.jpeg

On the now-displayed dialog, tap the Tool icon in the audio row (annotated):

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/81986513/122012/25-avplayer/avpl-trackchange3t.jpeg

In the list, select your audio stream :
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/81986513/122012/25-avplayer/avpl-trackchange4.jpeg
Unfortunately, only the stream index is displayed, not the language code or the human name of the tracks (unlike with most other players), which means it's not very easy to select the track you'd like to read / listen to. This is a major problem with AVPlayer, which, hopefully, will be fixed in the future.

With both subtitles and audio tracks, the first will be the default. With subtitles, you will need to separately enable displaying the manually (or automatically, see previous sentence) during playback with the icon annotated in the following screenshot:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/81986513/122012/25-avplayer/avpl-trackchange5t.jpeg (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/81986513/122012/25-avplayer/avpl-trackchange5.jpeg)

Also note that this has also been shown with ProPlayer in the section “UPDATE (09/11/2012, even later):” of my previous Subler OCR guide. ProPlayer is a slightly dumbed-down version of AVPlayer(HD); this is why its track selection needs to be configured in exactly the same way as in AVPlayer(HD).

yegon
Dec 26, 2012, 01:58 PM
It is - at least this is what the devs state.

----------

Strange - it shouldn't, as both use HW decoding, which should mean they have exactly the same CU (and, consequently, battery) usage. I'll test the issue.

Yeah, it doesn't really make sense. After work I often go to the gym with about 30% battery left. After an hour or so it'd typically be down to be less than 10% with GoodPlayer, whereas AVplayer would leave me with about 18%-20%. I use stereo Bluetooth headphones, I wonder if AVplayer handles audio more efficiently?

Peter78
Jan 3, 2013, 05:05 AM
I use ArkMC (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/arkmc/id405487397?mt=8) for video playback from DLNA servers. It supports plenty of video formats.

Menneisyys2
Jan 3, 2013, 06:45 AM
I use ArkMC (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/arkmc/id405487397?mt=8) for video playback from DLNA servers. It supports plenty of video formats.

... but isn't Retina-compliant, which is a BIG problem. The most important part of my dedicated review (more info at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1505088 ):

Pros

AC3 support, even during hardware playback
Hardware playback (including even Apple CC's)
Good MSMPEG-4 decoder
Can act as a UPnP control point (one that just acts as a proxy between a UPnP (file) source and a UPnP media render hardware); for that, it has proved to be excellent. Given that for example PlugPlayer costs $5 (and isn't even Universal) and doesn't support as many containers and video formats for local playback, this app is definitely a better choice, should you also want local playback.

Cons

No 16:9 screen support
No SSA subtitle support
Absolutely no support for local playback
Doesn't make use of the full resolution during software decoding on small-screen devices like the iPhone 5. An example resolution chart screenshot of playing back an MKV:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/81986513/122012/09mkv2/ArkMC-swplaybackt.jpeg (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/81986513/122012/09mkv2/ArkMC-swplayback.jpeg)

When playing back an iOS-native file, there are no such problems. A screenshot showing the playback of the same resolution chart, but from an m4v file:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/81986513/122012/09mkv2/ArkMC-hwplaybackt.jpeg (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/81986513/122012/09mkv2/ArkMC-hwplayback.jpeg)

Unfortunately, this also applies to the Retina screen of the iPad 3/4. That is, you do NOT want to use it for playback on any high-resolution iDevice (any iPhone / iPod touch model starting with the iPhone 4 / iPod touch 4, respectively – along with the iPad 3 and 4).

Note that, as usual, you shouldn't pay attention to the AppStore reviews. In the US AppStore, the previous version has received two one-star reviews. Both are factually plain wrong: the player does play back files off UPnP sources and it does discover them.

Dunmail
Jan 3, 2013, 08:16 AM
I'm a bit confused by AVPlayerHD, is it a true DLNA renderer (like GoodPlayer) or does it only play local content?

When I fire it up, it fails to find my NAS and I can't find any option to get it to look for it. (I'm using the current/August version BTW)

Peter78
Jan 3, 2013, 03:04 PM
... but isn't Retina-compliant, which is a BIG problem. The most important part of my dedicated review (more info at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1505088 ):

Yes, it use to be an issue, and the ArkMC was updated few days ago, now it looks fine on my iPhone5.

Menneisyys2
Jan 3, 2013, 03:50 PM
Yes, it use to be an issue, and the ArkMC was updated few days ago, now it looks fine on my iPhone5.

Thanks! Will re-test it and update the review.

----------

I'm a bit confused by AVPlayerHD, is it a true DLNA renderer (like GoodPlayer) or does it only play local content?

When I fire it up, it fails to find my NAS and I can't find any option to get it to look for it. (I'm using the current/August version BTW)

Nope, it only supports FTP, nothing else.

BTW, this subject is also discussed at http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=16551986&postcount=8

OMGwtfBBQwings
Jan 3, 2013, 07:09 PM
has anyone tried avplayerhd on an ipad 4? how dow does it handle 1080p mkv films? the really high def/uncompressed videos? thanks

Menneisyys2
Jan 4, 2013, 04:28 PM
has anyone tried avplayerhd on an ipad 4? how dow does it handle 1080p mkv films? the really high def/uncompressed videos? thanks

The answer can be found in several of my articles (you might want to read them):

1, MKV playback is flawless in AVPlayer as it uses hardware decoding

2, however, not even the iPad 4 is capable of decoding 1080p H.264 at sensible bitrates (not the <3 Mbps joke Apple is using) without stuttering. This means 1080p30 camera MTS videos won't be played back properly.

wake1
Jan 5, 2013, 12:12 PM
what player is best for playing 720p mp4's?

Menneisyys2
Jan 6, 2013, 01:35 AM
what player is best for playing 720p mp4's?

Several of them.

EDIT: now that I'm on a desktop (as opposed to a keyboard-less iPad), let me elaborate: 720p mp4 can be played back in hardware by about half of the currently available AppStore players.

You absolutely WON'T want to use players that can't; they include VLC (endorsed - which in no way should be done - by a lot of forum members BTW - don't believe them, the iOS version of VLC is one of the worst players), QQPLayerHD (an otherwise excellent, free player) etc.

Some players that do offer hardware playback and are highly recommended:

It's Playing: this is superior to almost all other players at MP4 playback because it has runtime DSP's letting for boosting audio / brightness / contrast / whatever. This should be the first you check out.

If you absolutely don't need DSP's, there are a lot of excellent players, AVPlayerHD (the subject of this thread) and GoodPlayer being the two most recommended.

Menneisyys2
Jan 6, 2013, 02:03 PM
EDIT: now that I'm on a desktop (as opposed to a keyboard-less iPad), let me elaborate: 720p mp4 can be played back in hardware by about half of the player.
<snip>

Just a quick bump: I've edited my prev post, posting a much more detailed answer.

wake1
Jan 6, 2013, 04:07 PM
Ok cool. Thanks. Any update on when its playing is meant to update as you said before. Allowing fit to screen etc?

Menneisyys2
Jan 6, 2013, 04:33 PM
Ok cool. Thanks. Any update on when its playing is meant to update as you said before. Allowing fit to screen etc?

Dunno. It'll be in the next version - but I don't know whet it hits the AppStore.

kthxbainao
Jan 10, 2013, 03:18 AM
Been following this thread for a while now and I have a couple of questions.

Apparently 8player was updated on the 4th of January because of issues with Dolby. Does this mean they lost the AC-3 codec as well or any other codecs for that matter? Not updating until I'm sure..

Also, does anyone know if the camera connection kits work with any of the in this thread aforementioned players?

Menneisyys2
Jan 10, 2013, 03:35 AM
Been following this thread for a while now and I have a couple of questions.

Apparently 8player was updated on the 4th of January because of issues with Dolby. Does this mean they lost the AC-3 codec as well or any other codecs for that matter? Not updating until I'm sure..

Do NOT update - they were forced to remove AC3 support.

Also, does anyone know if the camera connection kits work with any of the in this thread aforementioned players?

Only if you jailbreak. Please read my full(!!!) tutorial for more info: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1464236

pandabunny
Jan 10, 2013, 08:26 AM
There's an update out for AVPlayerHD (1.51). Does it have something to do with the AC-3 problem?
Don't want to update before I'm sure that I won't have any problems afterwards.

007p
Jan 11, 2013, 06:38 AM
There's an update out for AVPlayerHD (1.51). Does it have something to do with the AC-3 problem?
Don't want to update before I'm sure that I won't have any problems afterwards.

Was gonna say back up the app and then update if your worried, its pretty easy to restore.

But...

Version 1.51 was released on 6th of August, I already have it and theres no update for me currently.

Also if you read the app store page it says;

*** Important***
AVPlayerHD is officially support for AC-3, E-AC3, TrueHD codec.

I would presume that, at least for now, it is safe to get any new upgrades that come out (1.51 is old :P). I would also guess that 'officially' would hint that they do in fact have the licence :D

kthxbainao
Jan 11, 2013, 10:23 AM
Do NOT update - they were forced to remove AC3 support.
Only if you jailbreak. Please read my full(!!!) tutorial for more info: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1464236

Sadly I only got the lite version. So I'm too late to get the full one. :(

Also, I can't jailbreak it. Great tutorial though!
Would you perhaps know of any other apps that let you stream avi files with AC-3 codec from any shares, like a NAS? (So, basically 8player with AC-3 support.)

wake1
Jan 12, 2013, 03:22 AM
Can the iphone 4 play 720p mkv files ok. And what apps are the best for this? I tried av player and it seems to stutter a bit.

Menneisyys2
Jan 18, 2013, 03:36 AM
Can the iphone 4 play 720p mkv files ok. And what apps are the best for this? I tried av player and it seems to stutter a bit.

Your only choice is (unless you're ready to remux your MKV to iOS-native containers like mov / mp4 / m4v) jailbreaking and getting RushPlayer+.

Fortunately,

1, the iPhone 4 can be jailbroken even under iOS 6 and

2, RushPlayer+ is free for generic video playback so you can test it without paying anything. (The IAP is only needed to enable advanced menu options)

wake1
Jan 28, 2013, 02:07 PM
I know this is mac forums but I'm stuck. What is best way to remux 720p mkv files to mp4 on windows?

pollenised
Feb 1, 2013, 01:22 PM
I use subler. Open source and quick.

Menneisyys2
Feb 1, 2013, 02:38 PM
I use subler. Open source and quick.

Unfortunately, it has no Windows port.

I'll some time check out and report on the Windows remuxers. Not in the near future though.

pollenised
Feb 2, 2013, 06:11 AM
Sorry, didn't read properly :o.

@wake1: It seems xmedia recode could work. Not used myself.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1345771

pandabunny
Feb 24, 2013, 01:32 PM
There's a new update for AVPlayer (1.60) - is it safe to update, or are there any problems with it (AC-3 still supported?)?

Menneisyys2
Feb 24, 2013, 01:34 PM
There's a new update for AVPlayer (1.60) - is it safe to update, or are there any problems with it (ac-3 still supported?)?

No problems, see my review: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1547658

pandabunny
Feb 24, 2013, 01:45 PM
No problems, see my review: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1547658

Thanks, as always you help us out a lot with your reviews. :)

I'm kind of paranoid since the AC-3 problem started and AVPlayer dissapeared from the AppStore. Every time an update is available now for AVPlayer I'm kind of expecting it to drop their AC-3 support... :D

taz79
Feb 24, 2013, 09:20 PM
I update to AVPlayer 1.6.2.0 .... there is a bug in the iPhone version .... cannot play resume on video ....

Do you know any apps that can play stream to afp:// ? I want to be able to access my Airport Extreme from my iOS devices directly ... stream the movie from my storage there ....

Menneisyys2
Feb 25, 2013, 02:32 AM
I update to AVPlayer 1.6.2.0 .... there is a bug in the iPhone version .... cannot play resume on video ....

This has always been a problem with AVPlayer (both versions), see http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16900299 .

Do you know any apps that can play stream to afp:// ?

Nothing supports it, it being pretty scarcely used. Why don't you just use more standard networking protocols (FTP, SMB, UPnP) instead? FTP streaming is even supported by AVPlayer (the other two arent').

cooa99
Feb 25, 2013, 03:14 AM
Nothing supports it, it being pretty scarcely used. Why don't you just use more standard networking protocols (FTP, SMB, UPnP) instead? FTP streaming is even supported by AVPlayer (the other two arent').

Since when has AVplayer allowed streaming over network shares?, i thought that was not possible hence the reason I kept Buzz player around.

Menneisyys2
Feb 25, 2013, 03:50 AM
Since when has AVplayer allowed streaming over network shares?, i thought that was not possible hence the reason I kept Buzz player around.

This is exactly what I meant by adding "(the other two arent')", referring to the lack of SMB / UPnP support.

Decent FTP streaming has just been added in the new version.

TheVengefulOne
Feb 25, 2013, 05:07 AM
AVplayer's FTP streaming doesn't support embedded subtitles though..unlike Nplayer's!

cooa99
Feb 25, 2013, 12:07 PM
This is exactly what I meant by adding "(the other two arent')", referring to the lack of SMB / UPnP support.

Decent FTP streaming has just been added in the new version.

understood.

yegon
Feb 25, 2013, 02:15 PM
Latest AVplayer isn't playing nice on either my iPhone 5 or either of my iPads (mini and a 3). Mp4's that previously played flawlessly are now suffering hitches, pauses and a couple of times I've had to exit and resume. The fact that same flaw occurs on three different devices on a variety of files tells me it isn't a coincidence.

Thankfully I've got the previous version locally stored so I'll be rolling back tonight. Annoying though, as it means I'll have to copy across about 100gb+ of video across all three devices :(

Menneisyys2
Feb 25, 2013, 04:09 PM
Latest AVplayer isn't playing nice on either my iPhone 5 or either of my iPads (mini and a 3). Mp4's that previously played flawlessly are now suffering hitches, pauses and a couple of times I've had to exit and resume. The fact that same flaw occurs on three different devices on a variety of files tells me it isn't a coincidence.

Thankfully I've got the previous version locally stored so I'll be rolling back tonight. Annoying though, as it means I'll have to copy across about 100gb+ of video across all three devices :(

Jailbreak and use iFile for on-device backup.

yegon
Feb 25, 2013, 04:22 PM
Jailbreak and use iFile for on-device backup.

Interesting. Already jailbroken, wasn't aware I could do that though, ta.

yegon
Mar 6, 2013, 10:16 AM
So, anyone braved the 1.61 update yet? v1.60 forced me to rollback, choppy playback etc, so I'm reluctant to just update. The release notes do suggest the hybrid decoder is fixed though.

benlinus121
Mar 7, 2013, 04:51 AM
For anyone with both an iPad and an iPhone, Good Player is the ideal solution. The app is universal, plays nearly all file formats available, including HD mkvs and rmvbs, and uses dual-processor decoding. It supports multiple streaming protocols, connections to a variety of servers/ file transfer protocols, and it even has a built-in web browser and downloader. GoodPlayer’s only flaw is a lack of polish-- the interface is very minimalistic and the app occasionally

yegon
Mar 7, 2013, 05:21 AM
GoodPlayer’s only flaw is a lack of polish

And, unless it's been put back in, lack of AC3 support. This is a deal breaker for me and a lot of others. No way do I want to have separate collections of mp4s/mkv's, one for idevices and one for my home surround setup. We're talking about multi terabyte collections of video here, no way do I want to double that up or faff around demuxing specifically for one device.

AVplayer, v1.60 aside, has been flawless for me for the last couple of years.

Menneisyys2
Mar 7, 2013, 05:44 AM
And, unless it's been put back in, AC3 support. This is a deal breaker for me and a lot of others. No way do I want have to have separate collection of mp4s/mkv's, one for idevices and one for my home surround setup. We're talking aout multi terabyte collections of video here, no way do I want to double that up or faff around demuxing specifically for one device.

AVplayer, v1.60 aside, has been flawless for me for the last couple of years.

Also, as has been pointed out in my latest benchmarking article (too) reporting on the current version of GoodPlayer, it still has a somewhat less efficient H.264 decoder than AVPlayer / HD Player Pro etc. Therefore, I do NOT recommend it for hi-res MKV playback at all.

----------

including HD mkvs and rmvbs, and uses dual-processor decoding

Do NOT use it for HD MKV's. First, it doesn't remux, second, its H.264 decoder isn't the best. (You may also want to follow my articles here at MR - I've elaborated on both these questions quite a lot in them.)

yegon
Mar 7, 2013, 06:08 AM
Also, as has been pointed out in my latest benchmarking article (too) reporting on the current version of GoodPlayer, it still has a somewhat less efficient H.264 decoder than AVPlayer / HD Player Pro etc. Therefore, I do NOT recommend it for hi-res MKV playback at all.

----------

Do NOT use it for HD MKV's. First, it doesn't remux, second, its H.264 decoder isn't the best. (You may also want to follow my articles here at MR - I've elaborated on both these questions quite a lot in them.)

You're always very informative, thanks.

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but do you know if AVPlayerHD v1.61 resolves issues that were present with 1.60? I assume so judging by the release notes, but I just wanted to make sure rather than update, then be forced to be rollback again. Thanks.

Menneisyys2
Mar 7, 2013, 09:01 AM
You're always very informative, thanks.

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but do you know if AVPlayerHD v1.61 resolves issues that were present with 1.60? I assume so judging by the release notes, but I just wanted to make sure rather than update, then be forced to be rollback again. Thanks.

I've very thoroughly tested the new version - both the iPad and the iPhone one. AC3 is supported. Restoring the previous position works when software or purely hardware decoding (the latter with iOS-native formats). It still doesn't work when hybrid decoding is explicitly enabled (it's disabled by default) and you play back MKV's.

Aother bug (also present in previous versions): Hi10P files still aren't properly recognized with hybrid decoding enabled; that is, you must manually disable hybrid decoding when playing back Hi10P MKV files.

yegon
Mar 7, 2013, 10:22 AM
I've very thoroughly tested the new version - both the iPad and the iPhone one. AC3 is supported. Restoring the previous position works when software or purely hardware decoding (the latter with iOS-native formats). It still doesn't work when hybrid decoding is explicitly enabled (it's disabled by default) and you play back MKV's.

Aother bug (also present in previous versions): Hi10P files still aren't properly recognized with hybrid decoding enabled; that is, you must manually disable hybrid decoding when playing back Hi10P MKV files.

Great, thanks. None of the newer features really interest me, but so long as the choppy/paused playback that was present in 1.60 is gone in 1.61, I'll update. I only use it with mp4’s these days, as I use the same vid files with my ATV3.

Menneisyys2
Mar 8, 2013, 02:57 AM
Great, thanks. None of the newer features really interest me, but so long as the choppy/paused playback that was present in 1.60 is gone in 1.61, I'll update. I only use it with mp4’s these days, as I use the same vid files with my ATV3.

Last night, they released 1.63 (of both the iPhone and HD version), which promises a lot more bugfixes:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/81986513/032013/avplayer163/avplayer163.jpg

I'll very thoroughly test the new version (too) and report back.

Menneisyys2
Mar 8, 2013, 06:44 AM

1, did you use hardware acceleration ("Enable H/W decoder" enabled in Settings; it's enabled by default or when you tap "Reset")? With iOS-native formats, then, the hardware decoder would play the movie with little work on the player's part, also meaning far-far less chance of player-introduced playback bugs.

2, I've thoroughly tested the playback of a 2:10 long H.264 MKV reencode -> native m4v Subler remux of the fansubbed "Colorful" anime today with the latest version, mostly in hardware decoded playback mode (I only switched to SW decoding to test the new brightness / saturation / contrast / backlight control, which isn't available while using H/W playback, unlike with, BTW, It's Playing). No glitches, resume problems etc. at all.

However, the hybrid decoder bugs are still present with the latest versions with all these anime fansub H.264 MKV conversions (most probably because of the SSA subtitle track; I'll next play with these subs to find out whether they're the culprit.).

yegon
Mar 8, 2013, 08:04 AM
/snip

Cheers. I've updated to 1.63 and everything appears to be fine, bravo. Constantly having to avoid updating it was starting to grate.

dcell
Mar 10, 2013, 10:22 AM
Seems like the 1.63 version brought back the problems of skipping of parts of subtitles in MKV videos (fansubbed anime, H.264 video with AAC audio & SSA subtitles, 848x480 resolution).

I am not quite sure but the 1.5x versions did not have this problem. 1.63 definitely has the problems. I am not sure about 1.62 anymore.

Not all parts of the subs are skipped. It's like it's skipping the sub for a few seconds, than it goes well for like 20 seconds and suddenly it doesn't display subs for a few seconds etc. So i miss parts of the dialog as i dont understand Japanese and thus i am dependent on the subs.

tried with h/w acceleration on and off and hybrid decoder on and off :mad:

Menneisyys2
Mar 10, 2013, 05:00 PM
Seems like the 1.63 version brought back the problems of skipping of parts of subtitles in MKV videos (fansubbed anime, H.264 video with AAC audio & SSA subtitles, 848x480 resolution).

I am not quite sure but the 1.5x versions did not have this problem. 1.63 definitely has the problems. I am not sure about 1.62 anymore.

Not all parts of the subs are skipped. It's like it's skipping the sub for a few seconds, than it goes well for like 20 seconds and suddenly it doesn't display subs for a few seconds etc. So i miss parts of the dialog as i dont understand Japanese and thus i am dependent on the subs.

tried with h/w acceleration on and off and hybrid decoder on and off :mad:

Don't bother with AVPlayerHD if you have SSA subs. AVPlayerHD's SSA support has always been bad. Go for HD Player Pro instead.

yegon
Mar 16, 2013, 04:40 PM
....aaaand once again, I've rolled back to pre 1.60. For some reason, about half my mp4's (demuxed from mkv's via Subler) won't play the audio when H/W Decoder is enabled. If I switch this off, the audio plays but the performance is pitiful and unplayable. Mkv's play absolutely fine with Hybrid Decoder enabled, but I keep all my files as mp4's for use with my AppleTV, so I don't really want to keep a complete alternate set of mkv's.

Going to stick with 1.52 (or whatever it is, the last one prior to 1.60) until it just stops working in ios7 (or whenever) now. The old version runs perfectly for everything I use it for, everything plays, performance and power usage is great, so I'm just going to completely ignore any further updates Ive decided. Sick of faffing, and it's silly to do so when I've a got a version that works perfectly for me.

Menneisyys2
Mar 16, 2013, 05:15 PM
....aaaand once again, I've rolled back to pre 1.60. For some reason, about half my mp4's (demuxed from mkv's via Subler) won't play the audio when H/W Decoder is enabled.

Could you upload a small slice of those so that I can see what the problem is? (It's very easy to just copy a small part of any OS X-native video file even using the built-in QuickTime X.)

yegon
Mar 16, 2013, 06:41 PM
Could you upload a small slice of those so that I can see what the problem is? (It's very easy to just copy a small part of any OS X-native video file even using the built-in QuickTime X.)

Sure, I'll try it tomorrow, I'm at work right now.

I've got an iPad 3 and an iPad Mini, the latter I use for video more than anything else. I don't really use AVplayerHD much on my 3, so I deleted the app, put the old version on there and replicated everything, file and settings, that were on my Mini (with 1.63) and sure enough, works fine on my 3 (old version), no sound on the Mini.

I did wonder if I'd inadvertently changed something in Subler, but no, the prob persists in stuff I've Subler'd ages ago, (an old ep of Damages), and stuff I've Subler'd this week (last couple eps of Southland). Weirdly, it's not consistent - Southland s05e04 had no audio while s05e05 worked fine (both from the same source *cough*). All of them work on old AVplayerHD.

Edit: Not necessarily relevant, but all my devices are jailbroken, 6.1.2. I've got old AVPlayer on both iPads and iPhone now, all exhibited same problem with latest version so I don't think it's peculiar to a rogue device.

yegon
Mar 17, 2013, 11:37 AM

Here you go. Mkv demuxed to mp4 via subler, now a .mov via QuickTime.

BIW
Mar 31, 2013, 03:30 AM
I have AVPlayerHD on an ipad 2 with iOS 5.1
I never had problems with AVPlayerHD until about a month ago. It could be my imagination but it seems that my troubles started ever since I upgraded from iOS 4.1

Now the video and audio wont be in sync sometimes, and the movie will freeze for about 5 seconds every 30 seconds. FYI I never stream as I store all my movies on my ipad (I have about 15 gbytes on it).

Any suggestions as to what the problem is? I play mp4s.

Thanks in advance.

007p
Apr 2, 2013, 11:36 AM
I have AVPlayerHD on an ipad 2 with iOS 5.1
I never had problems with AVPlayerHD until about a month ago. It could be my imagination but it seems that my troubles started ever since I upgraded from iOS 4.1

Now the video and audio wont be in sync sometimes, and the movie will freeze for about 5 seconds every 30 seconds. FYI I never stream as I store all my movies on my ipad (I have about 15 gbytes on it).

Any suggestions as to what the problem is? I play mp4s.

Thanks in advance.

Which AVplayerHD version do you have installed? Wasn't there a recent bug fix update released for out of sync issues?

lotzosushi
Apr 3, 2013, 10:12 AM
I'm currently on AVPlayerHD v 1.64 on my iPad mini. I've been having problems with skipping and out of sync video/audio when trying to play 720p .mkv files. Any other recommendations for alternative apps to use?

The last video I tried was an episode of 'Bates Motel', I'm looking at the codec info and its H264 - MPEG4 AVC, A52 Audio

wake1
Apr 8, 2013, 05:34 AM
What is the best app for playing mainly mp4 and non hd mkv's. preferably with an audio boost function?

thunng8
Apr 8, 2013, 06:05 AM
My personal favourite is nplayer:

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/id539397400?mt=8

You can ready about it here:

http://www.iphonelife.com/blog/87/excellent-multimedia-player-nplayer-updated-now-its-even-more-recommended-0

Note, with the latest version AC3 audio is now supported as well

007p
Apr 12, 2013, 11:50 AM
Version 1.641, 2013/04/12
Removed DTS Audio decoding due to patent trouble

Thats annoying :(, guess Dvd rip playback wont be possible now?

DjStiky
Apr 12, 2013, 11:54 AM
nPlayer is not available in the Canadian iTunes store. :(

penguintri
Apr 12, 2013, 01:32 PM
Version 1.641, 2013/04/12
Removed DTS Audio decoding due to patent trouble

Thats annoying :(, guess Dvd rip playback wont be possible now?

Is DTS a commonly used codec? Don't see it mentioned it anywhere near as much as AC3. Just wondering whether it'll hurt much updating?

ar3ar2
Apr 12, 2013, 04:15 PM
Is DTS a commonly used codec? Don't see it mentioned it anywhere near as much as AC3. Just wondering whether it'll hurt much updating?

You can make a backup through iTunes though I accidentally updated so I can't give specifics. Make sure you keep the copy in a folder which iTunes doesn't keep synced apps so the next time it syncs it won't overwrite your old copy. Then update on your iPad.

Menneisyys2
Apr 13, 2013, 03:07 PM
nPlayer is not available in the Canadian iTunes store. :(

I've talked to the developers of nPlayer. They said the new, 1.11 version will soon be available. That is, it WILL reappear.

Without DTS support, I need to add :( That is, do the same as with AVPlayerHDif you want to keep the DTS support: BACKUP!

(More info: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17139078 )

----------

Pretty common on DVD's and Blu-ray discs. This is why about half of the "scene" direct-discrip MKV's (only) contain a DTS track.

yousifabdullah
Apr 15, 2013, 02:41 AM
Hey folks,

I posted this in the GoodPlayer thread and had another look at the app I found, it seems to support DTS as well:

"I found a new app on the App Store called EVGPlayer. It says it supports AC3, MKV and the UI looks nice. Universal app for 0,89€. Has anyone tried it? I believe it's only a matter of time before AC3 support is removed from that app as well, but it may be worth a shot."

I haven't tried it yet and I don't have any content with DTS audio either, so try at your own risk. It's a week-old app, so there may not be much time left before AC3 and DTS support is removed from that app as well.

Peace,
Yousif.

Menneisyys2
Apr 15, 2013, 03:06 AM
Hey folks,

I posted this in the GoodPlayer thread and had another look at the app I found, it seems to support DTS as well:

"I found a new app on the App Store called EVGPlayer. It says it supports AC3, MKV and the UI looks nice. Universal app for 0,89€. Has anyone tried it? I believe it's only a matter of time before AC3 support is removed from that app as well, but it may be worth a shot."

Will review it this evening. Hopefully it won't be removed from the AppStore before then.

yousifabdullah
Apr 15, 2013, 03:22 AM
Will review it this evening. Hopefully it won't be removed from the AppStore before then.

I'm reporting back on EVGPlayer:

It's a solid app with a very nice UI, perhaps the best I've seen on any 3rd party video player for iOS to date. The file manager and HTTP Server are straightforward and easy to use. The app also supports loop and shuffle functions for music playback and integrates with the iOS playback controls in the lock screen and multitasking tray.

For video playback I tried a 720p Blu-ray rip that I have made for my personal use only. It's in MKV format and has AC3 audio so it's a good candidate for both performance and codec testing. The result is: it works! There were no problems during playback and the audio quality was very good.

The verdict: for 0,89€ the app is a must have while it lasts. It works very well, is very solid (didn't crash once during my testing), and supports AC3 as well as DTS codecs. It is however a new app and should be treated as such: many options are missing that can be tweaked in other apps, subtitle support is nowhere to be found, and the app has very simple playback controls.

I am sure that with future updates this app will become a great contender among all other apps in the App Store, however I fear that codec support will suffer very soon so I advise you go buy the app right now and backup in iTunes as soon as you can!

When I get back home I'll also try to see if the app has TV out capability. I used a 4th generation iPad and an iPhone 5 for testing, and I have a Lightning to Digital AV Adapter.

Donka
Apr 15, 2013, 04:17 AM
Thanks for the mini review. Purely the fact it is a new app is what is stopping me from buying it. By the time the features I need are added, extended audio support will most likely be removed. :mad:

Menneisyys2
Apr 15, 2013, 04:53 AM

Very poor, not recommended. Go for something better; for example, the existing (1.10) version of nPlayer is WAAAAY better in every respect (HW acceleration, subtitle / streaming / container support etc).

Just some specific thoughts:

H.264 decoder: not the fastest (unlike, say, AVPlayerHD, nPlayer etc.)
MKV decoding: software-only; this, along with the not state-of-the-art H.264 decoder, also means playback of even standard-bitrate (about 10 Mbps) videos (e.g., the Monsters one http://www.auby.no/files/video_tests/h264_1080p_hp_4.1_10mbps_dts_unstyled_subs_monsters.mkv ) aren't played back flawlessly on not even the latest-gen, fastest devices (iPad 4, iPhone 5), let alone slower ones. On the latter, 1080 MKV playback is plain useless.
MTS / AVI decoding: software-only

Codec support:
DTS, AC3 are both properly supported
So are OGG, mp3 etc.

Subtitle support:
Nope

Container support:

ATSC 1080i60: tolerable (as opposed to DVB, at least it's 16:9), no scrubbing
DVB TS: very poor: 4:3 only, no scrub (no subs)

NOTE: retina support on both iPhones and iPads must be manually enabled!

Menneisyys2
Apr 15, 2013, 06:16 AM
For video playback I tried a 720p Blu-ray rip that I have made for my personal use only. It's in MKV format and has AC3 audio so it's a good candidate for both performance and codec testing. The result is: it works! There were no problems during playback and the audio quality was very good.

Unfortunately, while 720p may be played back without problems, it'll still put a lot (almost 100%) of load on your CPU, meaning both heatup and, in cases, significantly (even four times) lower battery life. (See my benchmarks at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1547504 for some real figures.) This is why I don't recommend this player for 720p playback, let alone 1080p.

Menneisyys2
Apr 15, 2013, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the mini review. Purely the fact it is a new app is what is stopping me from buying it. By the time the features I need are added, extended audio support will most likely be removed. :mad:

It surely will. In a few days - see the fate of, say, the also-not-recommended Fresh Player.

cooa99
Apr 15, 2013, 08:11 AM
Please how do I find out what version of AVplayerHD is Installed on my Ipad?.

... I cant see anything on the app to give me such info.

Ps the Ipad is jalbroken if that helps

cheers

Menneisyys2
Apr 15, 2013, 08:41 AM
Please how do I find out what version of AVplayerHD is Installed on my Ipad?.

... I cant see anything on the app to give me such info.

Ps the Ipad is jalbroken if that helps

cheers

Info.plist in the app bundle. For example, that of v1.628 is as follows:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/81986513/042013/nplayerfix/avplayer-ver.jpg

cooa99
Apr 15, 2013, 09:08 AM
Info.plist in the app bundle. For example, that of v1.628 is as follows:

Hi, please where is this located in the ipad folder structure ?

cheers

Menneisyys2
Apr 15, 2013, 09:29 AM
Hi, please where is this located in the ipad folder structure ?

cheers

in /var/mobile/applications/<Avplayer's UUID>/AVPlayerHD.app

cooa99
Apr 15, 2013, 10:33 AM
in /var/mobile/applications/<Avplayer's UUID>/AVPlayerHD.app

cheers!,

so how come version on my ipad is 1.645 ? when latest is 1.641 !

Menneisyys2
Apr 15, 2013, 11:13 AM
cheers!,

so how come version on my ipad is 1.645 ? when latest is 1.641 !

Because it's errorenously listed as 1.641 in AppStore - in Info.plist, it's 1.646.

----------

Because it's errorenously listed as 1.641 in AppStore - in Info.plist, it's 1.646.

BTW, I've tested 1.646. No DTS. AC3 works.

cooa99
Apr 15, 2013, 11:44 AM

Thanks very much
So that means the version on my Ipad is the last one before DTS was removed.

backing up
I need to back this up back to my computer. Version on my macbook is 1.628
Is it possible to copy the ipa from my Ipad back to my mac
or do i just sync ipad with mac which will in turn replace 1.628 with my ipad version ?

cheers

yousifabdullah
Apr 15, 2013, 02:17 PM
Very poor, not recommended. Go for something better; for example, the existing (1.10) version of nPlayer is WAAAAY better in every respect (HW acceleration, subtitle / streaming / container support etc).

Thanks for the expert response. I did not have as much experience to test the application so I wasn't able to determine how good the app truly is. For what it's worth, even with the somewhat poor playback functionality and options, I still rate the app high in my book for the clean and intuitive UI.

It's a shame many of the popular video player apps have such bad UIs, e.g. CineXPlayer, AVPlayerHD, 8player, to name a few. Some of these apps cost good money and likely see much use, so it puzzles me why UI wasn't a top priority for these apps.

Anyway, I tried this new app on my TV using the Lightning to Digital AV Adapter and unfortunately it does not support TV out. The app UI is visible on the TV and the picture is cropped to the resolution of the iPhone or iPad. Too bad, as I was really hoping to use this app over GoodPlayer for AC3 support.

Menneisyys2
Apr 15, 2013, 02:52 PM
Thanks very much
So that means the version on my Ipad is the last one before DTS was removed.

backing up
I need to back this up back to my computer. Version on my macbook is 1.628
Is it possible to copy the ipa from my Ipad back to my mac
or do i just sync ipad with mac which will in turn replace 1.628 with my ipad version ?

cheers

1. 1.628 is the previous one - that version I too have as the previous one (I always back up all my media players because of these removals).

2. backup 1.628 on your Mac immediately. Don't synch your iPad if it already has the new version (you've updated it on your iPad but not on your Mac) - it'll overwrite the older version on the Mac too.

----------

Anyway, I tried this new app on my TV using the Lightning to Digital AV Adapter and unfortunately it does not support TV out. The app UI is visible on the TV and the picture is cropped to the resolution of the iPhone or iPad. Too bad, as I was really hoping to use this app over GoodPlayer for AC3 support.

Yup, confirmed on my iPhone5 - no native TV out (unlike with, say, AVPlayerHD or nPlayer; with the latter as of v1.10, the TV out is native until you tap the iPhone icon in the center of the screen during playback), not even with hardware acceleration enabled (which is default) and playing back iOS-native files.

Menneisyys2
Apr 15, 2013, 05:39 PM

Posted a more verbose version of the review to http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17147309

yousifabdullah
Apr 26, 2013, 02:36 PM
Hei Menneisyys2,

I noticed CineXPlayer has updated its app a few days ago with a new UI and music playback support with Dolby Digital Plus, as well as Live TV. I'm sure you have tried it and talked about it before, it seems the app is solid with MKV and AC3 support on the iPad version (iPhone version doesn't support MKV for some reason).

So you think it's worth 3,59€? They had me at new UI and music playback, as I'm looking for a single app to handle all multimedia needs. Too bad it isn't Universal and lacks parity with the iPhone version.

Menneisyys2
Apr 27, 2013, 06:38 AM
Hei Menneisyys2,

I noticed CineXPlayer has updated its app a few days ago with a new UI and music playback support with Dolby Digital Plus, as well as Live TV. I'm sure you have tried it and talked about it before, it seems the app is solid with MKV and AC3 support on the iPad version (iPhone version doesn't support MKV for some reason).

So you think it's worth 3,59€? They had me at new UI and music playback, as I'm looking for a single app to handle all multimedia needs. Too bad it isn't Universal and lacks parity with the iPhone version.

I'll definitely review it in the near future. Please be patient.

Menneisyys2
May 5, 2013, 07:36 AM
Hei Menneisyys2,

Posted the full review, with benchmark videos, at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17232088

Basically, I don't recommend it over nPlayer or AVPlayerHD. Only check it out if you can / want to make use of its Dolby Digital features, built-in Web browser or TV station directory. As a standalone video player, it's considerably weaker than nPlayer or AVPlayerHD.

Mackan
May 12, 2013, 06:01 AM
Do any of the now AC3 licensed players use a certified AC3 decoder from Dolby? Or is the decoder based on open source ones, like ffmpeg?

Menneisyys2
May 12, 2013, 06:50 AM
Do any of the now AC3 licensed players use a certified AC3 decoder from Dolby? Or is the decoder based on open source ones, like ffmpeg?

I will ask the nPlayer / AVPlayer devs and report back.

Menneisyys2
May 12, 2013, 07:53 AM
I will ask the nPlayer / AVPlayer devs and report back.

Just got an answer from the nPlayer devs:

"Hi, We integrated Dolby's object code into nPlayer because using Dolby's object codec is required as part of Dolby license."

That is, AVPlayer must also have Dolby's own decoder.

Mackan
May 12, 2013, 09:28 AM
Just got an answer from the nPlayer devs:

"Hi, We integrated Dolby's object code into nPlayer because using Dolby's object codec is required as part of Dolby license."

That is, AVPlayer must also have Dolby's own decoder.

Thank you, nice to hear. :)

Drewvt
May 18, 2013, 05:56 AM
I thought that AVPlayer was an all-round excellent program, best video player in the store...until they had to drop all those codecs. Now I have a 30gb library of video without sound. :mad:

More and more I am becoming convinced that what I really need is not an iPad but rather a tablet with a fully open source OS, on which any open source software can be installed without restrictions.

Menneisyys2
May 18, 2013, 09:17 AM
I thought that AVPlayer was an all-round excellent program, best video player in the store...until they had to drop all those codecs. Now I have a 30gb library of video without sound. :mad:

More and more I am becoming convinced that what I really need is not an iPad but rather a tablet with a fully open source OS, on which any open source software can be installed without restrictions.

Consider remuxing your movies. With tools like MKV/MP4Tools, you can quickly convert the DTS tracks to AC3 or AAC ones. Then, AVPlayer will be able to play back these files.

Given that your library's only 30 GBytes, remuxing can be done in a few hours at most, assuming you use the automatic (batch) mode of these remuxers.

Note that I've written several tutorials on MKV/MP4Tools - just look around in this very forum, or, the Apple TV forum here.

Drewvt
May 18, 2013, 03:18 PM
Note that I've written several tutorials on MKV/MP4Tools - just look around in this very forum, or, the Apple TV forum here.

Thank you kindly. I will do just that for part of the files, I think, at least with the ones for which I cannot obtain a DTS-free alternative file.

wrkactjob
May 28, 2013, 04:00 PM
Don't bother with AVPlayerHD if you have SSA subs. AVPlayerHD's SSA support has always been bad. Go for HD Player Pro instead.

I see no app called HD Player Pro in the app store only a rip off app called HD Player which doesnt work.

I was using Its Playing which now is next to useless due to their words "We were forced to remove four audio codecs from It's playing: DTS, AC3, EAC3 and MLP"

Im happy to pay...I just want a drag and drop app that plays all movies!

Menneisyys2
May 28, 2013, 04:14 PM
I see no app called HD Player Pro in the app store only a rip off app called HD Player which doesnt work.

I was using Its Playing which now is next to useless due to their words "We were forced to remove four audio codecs from It's playing: DTS, AC3, EAC3 and MLP"

Im happy to pay...I just want a drag and drop app that plays all movies!

Yup, it's been removed (it was at https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hd-player-pro/id429610228?mt=8 ).

I'll try to mail the dev again. (He hasn't answered my previous one, back in Aug/12). I'll ask him to tell me what happened.

007p
May 31, 2013, 07:32 PM
Any idea if av player plans to get subtitles embedded in mkvs to work over FTP steaming? Rather annoying, also what's the reason for it not to be able to turn subtitles on (FTP streaming)? Seems really weird....

zast
Jun 9, 2013, 12:09 PM
I think the best player is nplayer. It s work very well with my ipad (flowing).

Menneisyys2
Jun 9, 2013, 04:04 PM
I think the best player is nplayer. It s work very well with my ipad (flowing).

Agreed. Today, I too recommend it the most.

DjStiky
Jun 13, 2013, 04:35 PM
Do you think nplayer will support DTS as well soon?

GHDpro
Jun 14, 2013, 08:11 AM
Yup, it's been removed (it was at https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hd-player-pro/id429610228?mt=8 ).

I'll try to mail the dev again. (He hasn't answered my previous one, back in Aug/12). I'll ask him to tell me what happened.

Are you sure that "HD Player" (without "Pro") is a rip-off? They seem to have the same author (Khoa Tran Anh). Also "HD Player" also plays SSA/ASS subtitles and Hi10p (10-bit) video fine, just like "Pro" was supposed to do.

It just seems he changed the business model or something. It's a bit sneaky, because while the app seems free now, you need the codec pack (in-app purchase) to make it work for most videos.

Menneisyys2
Jun 14, 2013, 08:35 AM
Do you think nplayer will support DTS as well soon?

Highly unlikely.

Menneisyys2
Jun 14, 2013, 02:32 PM
Are you sure that "HD Player" (without "Pro") is a rip-off? They seem to have the same author (Khoa Tran Anh). Also "HD Player" also plays SSA/ASS subtitles and Hi10p (10-bit) video fine, just like "Pro" was supposed to do.

It just seems he changed the business model or something. It's a bit sneaky, because while the app seems free now, you need the codec pack (in-app purchase) to make it work for most videos.

Sorry, I should have been more specific: my "yup" only referred to the Pro having disappeared from the AppStore, not to "HD Player"'s being cr@ppy. Assuming it has the same features and performance of its ex-Pro version, it might be a good buy for the ASS / SSA folks.

The dev seems to have entirely gone for the IAP way in all his apps - he doesn't have any non-freemium titles any more in the AppStore. That is, he doesn't really bother supporting his paying customers (including me) by both keeping (in Appstore) and further updating the app they've paid for. Well, this is what I REALLY dislike.

Unfortunately, he haven't answered my mails either (sent two of them back a year ago and a month ago; both were positive as, generally, I had found the Pro version easy to recommend). That is, I'm not sure he even reads his mails so I'm not sure he'll read my mail on whether he plans to re-list the Pro version. Nevertheless, I've just sent him another mail. (Could you also mail him to see whether he reads his mailbox? According to http://atk-inc.com.vn/about.php?name=About , his address is anhkhoa86 AT gmail.com )

Menneisyys2
Jun 16, 2013, 01:39 AM
Nevertheless, I've just sent him another mail. (Could you also mail him to see whether he reads his mailbox? According to http://atk-inc.com.vn/about.php?name=About , his address is anhkhoa86 AT gmail.com )

He has answered now, stating to have removed HD Player Pro from App Store because of AC3 and DTS patent problems.

They don't intend to put it back.

yousifabdullah
Jun 16, 2013, 01:09 PM
Posted the full review, with benchmark videos, at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17232088

Basically, I don't recommend it over nPlayer or AVPlayerHD. Only check it out if you can / want to make use of its Dolby Digital features, built-in Web browser or TV station directory. As a standalone video player, it's considerably weaker than nPlayer or AVPlayerHD.

Hei Menneisyys2, how are you?

I'm glad that I took your advice and didn't get CineXPlayer. Instead I bought nPlayer, which was updated today to version 2.0 and I'm very happy with it.

nPlayer now comes with a beautiful new UI (it's flat, too) and most importantly, a fix for the forced overscan with Apple's Lightning adapter you talk about here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1578989. I tried it out myself and added a picture of it in action with my 4th gen iPad—thank you for writing that thread and making nPlayer devs aware of the issue!

Put simply, it's the best media player on the App Store currently. The new update comes in handy for myself now that I traded in my PS3 to support my purchase of the PS4 in the future, meaning that I can't enjoy Blu-ray or anything at this time. Without the stupid black bars however, I can just hook up my iPad to my TV and use nPlayer. Brilliant.

~ Yousif

yousifabdullah
Jun 16, 2013, 01:12 PM
Here's a list of all the fixes and updates to nPlayer in version 2.0:

- Upgraded User Interface
- Modified app icon
- Support browsing file list while playing a movie (mini player mode)
- Support file indexing search for rapid file search
- Support favorite playlists
- Support recently played lists
- Support m3u8, m3u playlist
- Support image files : JPG, PNG, BMP, GIF, TIFF etc...
- Support sorting files in ascending or descending order
- Support subtitles background
- Fixed buffering issue of playing QuickTime formats
- Fixed AC3 encoded audio play bugs
- Fixed ID/password register bugs of multiple ID in a single domain
- Fixed overscan issue of HDMI TV out
- Fixed seeking issue on WMV file playing
- Fixed SMI parsing bugs
- Fixed unintended screen brightness down with nPlayer menu fading out while playing videos with lyrics information.
- Fixed compatibility issue on symbolic linked directory browsing
- SMB stability improved
- UPnP/DLNA connection stability improved
- Other miscellaneous bugs are fixed

j.leson
Jun 17, 2013, 07:56 PM

- Modified app icon
- Fixed SMI parsing bugs
- Fixed unintended screen brightness down with nPlayer menu fading out while playing videos with lyrics information.
- SMB stability improved

Anyone having stuttering and video/audio sync issues with this new update, when using streaming?

pandabunny
Jun 23, 2013, 09:27 AM
There's a new update for AVPlayer (2.0!) - has anyone tried it yet?
Is it safe to update, or has somebody noticed any problems?

Amazing Iceman
Jun 23, 2013, 10:24 AM

- Modified app icon
- Fixed SMI parsing bugs
- SMB stability improved

Would it properly play 1080p files on an iPad 3?
Does it support DTS?

I'm also looking for a player that supports 3D files.

Sunspark
Jun 23, 2013, 11:07 AM
There's a new update for AVPlayer (2.0!) - has anyone tried it yet?
Is it safe to update, or has somebody noticed any problems?

It's safe enough. All it looks like is that they skinned the UI a bit. No DTS, though this isn't really an issue for me. I think It's Playing seems to have slightly smoother video in "best" quality setting and better subtitle font. Of course 3.8 is the last version with AC3. Back up your old .ipa from iTunes if you want to test with the possibility of rollback.

yousifabdullah
Jun 23, 2013, 05:24 PM
Would it properly play 1080p files on an iPad 3?
Does it support DTS?

I'm also looking for a player that supports 3D files.

It depends on the video format. For example, 1080p H.264 content is no problem and can be played natively using QuickTime. MKV should pose no problem either, unless the content is hi10p. For a more detailed explanation, refer to this post by Menneisyys2: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1547504.

DTS support as of this writing is NOT included in nPlayer or any other player available in the App Store currently. This may or may not change, I've heard that some developers are negotiating the license for DTS support, so keep your eyes open.

I have no info on 3D other than it's not supported by any player in the App Store as of this writing. I don't see it changing either as the iPad lacks an autostereoscopic display and anaglyph 3D is simply a mess.