Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaysue

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
Tolleson, AZ
Iv'e noticed the update to iTunes Match with IOS 6 and my question is how do you delete the music you have downloaded to the device, before you would just swipe and and a delete button would come up, no longer there any help would be great, thanks.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
iTunes Match is a horrible mess in iOS 6. I can't fathom why they made the changes they did. It's no longer possible to download individual songs, the little cloud icons are gone so you no longer know what's actually on your device before you leave for a trip, and in order to delete any music you now have to turn iTunes Match off, delete the song, and then toggle it back on again. Absolutely insane.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
It is still possible to download individual songs, but it's not easy. One way is to start downloading the album and while it downloads the first track, choose the track you actually want to download. Hit stop on the other track. Or, create a playlist with the track or tracks you want to download.

To see which tracks are downloaded to your device, go to the Music Settings and turn off Show All Music.

jaysue - I agree that deleting songs looks to be complicated. I don't see that unobtanium's method works - even when I turn off Show All Music, I still can't delete tracks. The only way I see is to go to settings --> general --> usage where you can delete all music at once. Anyone else know anything different?

Edit: Reading some more threads and it appears that some people can delete individual songs when Show All Music is turned off and others can't. I'm in the latter camp for the moment; maybe it takes some time to update when you turn that setting off.

Last edited:

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I found that by turning off iTunes Match you can delete individual songs and not lose everything. You can turn it back on without losing everything, too.

StoneCloud

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2013
I'm running the newest version of iTunes (11.0.2) and I was wondering if you can still delete items from your iTunes Match library. Every time that I delete an item, when it would normally give me a pop up box saying "select to delete item from iCloud permanently", it now says "select to hide item in your iCloud". Is there a way to delete the item permanently rather than just hiding it? It seems they took out the delete function in the newer updates.

I seem to be doing this a lot since albums that I get within the first 2 weeks of release do not match using the service but instead upload. I would rather delete them and then rematch to get them to actually match.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.