Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

octane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
England
Hi guys!

Earlier today, I upgraded to Mountain Lion (which I am sincerely blown away by), and now need to reinstall PHP and MySQL.

I began with the how-to instructions on Mac Mini Vault, but I got snagged at the first stage of making edits via Terminal.

I got as far as pasting in
Code:
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/mysql/bin
but the moment I pressed the escape key, things began to deviate from the instructions. At this point, I couldn't even make a graceful exit from vi, and had to just quit Terminal.

When I began again, I was warned that a temporary / swap file had been created (evidently by me, given the details) and that edits were present. I chose the option of deleting this file.

While still in the throws of a mild rush of panic, I returned to Terminal and ran a directory listing, based on some instructions from another source. Sure enough, a .bash_profile file was sat there, goading me, even though I'd deleted it, or at least I thought I had.

At this stage, I have zero idea whether I've damaged my brand new installation of Mountain Lion or not, and would really appreciate some assistance in clearing up any potential mess I may have made to the .bash_profile file.

octane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
England
Okay, after a bit of think, I went into Transmit to view the hidden files in my home directory and found the .bash_profile document, which I then opened using BBEdit and file appears to be completely empty.

If this is the case, can I manually enter the required text into the file to proceed with the installation?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.