PDA

View Full Version : How much of OSX Server has to be set-up

Crazy Badger
Sep 21, 2012, 02:33 AM
I've recently installed OSX server on a iMac at home, which is also used as a client machine and only has 2 MacBooks and a few iOS devices connected to the Airport Extreme.

Haven't really found much time to set everything up with users and profiles, but thought I'd switch on the software update feature to update the other machines.

It doesn't seem to work and I'm having to update them all through the App Store. Is this because I haven't configured everything else?

And does anyone have any links to good documentation for setting up a small home server?

Thanks

guzhogi
Sep 21, 2012, 07:56 AM
I know you have to have your client computers look for your iMac as the update server & not Apple's.

Tholian
Sep 21, 2012, 11:05 AM
Here is a decent overview of os X server:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/the-server-simplified-a-power-users-guide-to-os-x-server/

More of an overview then a how to but it might be helpful. I've looked but have not found much that is helpful, even on Apple's site. I would also like to find a good guide to setting this up. The most annoying thing so far is having to instal MySQL manually and setting-up PHPMyAdmin. :mad: