PDA

View Full Version : Apple commercials now bordering on retarded

Nov 18, 2002, 01:12 AM
It was bad enough with all the pathetic dorks they brought out for the first wave of "switch" ads, but now...... today I see some idiot on national television saying how it was too difficult for him to use his printer on the PC:rolleyes: Give me a frigan break, now Apple is just making themselves, and their users look stupid. They better get their head out of their @$$, drop this awful ad campain, and focus on getting their hardware up to speed. I still love my old iMac DV, but quite franky Apple is getting their @$$ handed to them, and their lack of technological advance over the past 3 years, and this stupid ad campaign isn't helping.

macktheknife
Nov 18, 2002, 02:05 AM
I agree to a point. Apple is obviously trying to appeal to the average Joe who knows next to nothing about a computer and is proud of it. ("I don't understand x, y, z! Blah, blah, blah.") Apple apparently doesn't care about trying to appeal to powerusers like Linux users since the technological appeal of OS X speaks for itself.

Check out this (http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2002/09/17/switcher.html) story from Tim O'Reilly and this (http://www.byte.com/documents/s%3D7620/byt1032475416823/) story from a Linux user.

dricci
Nov 18, 2002, 02:20 AM
The commercials are working, whether you like it or not. People I know who didn't even know Apple existed are now taking notice and showing a lot of interest in switching (some already have) because they can relate to the real people in the commercials.

ryme4reson
Nov 18, 2002, 02:23 AM
I was at a bar in Cupertino on Sat, and I met a nice young female who works in the marketing dept @ Apple, and after a long conversation, I told her I am in2 Apple computers, and that I think the switch adds suck. She said he boss is the one who came up with them, and he oversees them. She said for the Halloween party they had an Ellen Fliess look alike contest. I thought how stupid can these people be. In anycase, she was a good looking girl. :) Apple always gets the nice ones.

Nov 18, 2002, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by dricci
The commercials are working, whether you like it or not. People I know who didn't even know Apple existed are now taking notice and showing a lot of interest in switching (some already have) because they can relate to the real people in the commercials.

Doesn't say much for the people you know then:o

P.S. Apple's new lame commercials aren't working...... see recent sales figures:D

P.P.S. I think even most "real" people......as opposed to my cartoony self....... are smart enough to use a frigan printer....... Apple seems to be targeting that .0009 percent too stupid to use the printer......... so they can increase their market share by .0009 percent.:rolleyes: Too bad they didn't put their effort into advanced HARDWARE .....then they could talk about what they have to offer, rather then make their users look stupid by saying get a Mac if your too stupid to use a printer.:rolleyes:

rainman::|:|
Nov 18, 2002, 12:28 PM
i think you people are grossly underestimating the stupidity of people. Remember, most people don't know anything about computers-- they're lucky if they can plug the right cables into the right ports, and the concept of software configuration of a printer is way too much. Back when I did computer consulting, probably 80% of my clients could not have been able to install a printer on their own systems (i know this has changed, but between the Print Wizard and the driver CD, it was too much)...

:)
pnw

FattyMembrane
Nov 18, 2002, 06:09 PM
despite what many might think, i'm not an idiot. i know a fair ammount about computers. when my sister bought her compaq POS, it was my job to figure out how to make the damn thing work (this is after the fan died and the processor burned itself up within 2 weeks of the purchase). i spent weeks trying to make the HP printer that came with the thing work, but the driver installation software would never recognize that there was even a printer in the usb port (why the damn thing still has serial ports, God only knows). we finally had to take it back to the shop so that they could figure out how to make it work (which took them a good while). with my imac, i plug in the printer and that's about it. there are far more lemons and unusable pieces of crap in the pc world than there are in the mac world. i think that's what the commercials try to convey. that being said, i do think that it's time to try something else, like more powerful computers.

arn
Nov 18, 2002, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by 3777
It was bad enough with all the pathetic dorks they brought out for the first wave of "switch" ads, but now...... today I see some idiot on national television saying how it was too difficult for him to use his printer on the PC:rolleyes:

98% of people in this world probably can't install a printer. I bet you 99% of people don't know the difference between RAM and HardDrive storage.

Don't you have parents/grandparents/non-geek friends? Are you saying you never have to help anyone to setup their computer?

arn

scem0
Nov 18, 2002, 06:38 PM
You think they are stupid??!?!?! God, you should hear my
mom. She is talking to my dad about how she needs another
gigaflop of RAM for the inkjet power supply, because the zip drive
can't load a disk. I just smile and nod, and then put the zip in the
zip drive in the right direction;)...

e-coli
Nov 18, 2002, 06:48 PM
actually, drivers and DLL's and networking and peripherals are all meddeningly difficult to install and use on a windows machine, even for expert users (at times), so I see the ads as true to real world case studies.

I've always thought that Windows sells more Macs than Apple.

springscansing
Nov 18, 2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by scem0
You think they are stupid??!?!?! God, you should hear my
mom. She is talking to my dad about how she needs another
gigaflop of RAM for the inkjet power supply, because the zip drive
can't load a disk. I just smile and nod, and then put the zip in the
zip drive in the right direction;)...

Shut up man, they're still feeding your stupid ass.

AssassinOfGates
Nov 18, 2002, 07:14 PM
A: I agree to a point. I think this agressive campaign is great because it is real people on real complaints that can relate to the world, yet the iPod kid being "Powerful" was lame, the "Stoned Chick" was a tad overreacvtive, (So your comp crashes, does that justify buying a $3000 comp) and the De La _?__ is just plain unrelated, like they were just promoting their own album.

B: Shrek, i see that pic so much, do u know who made it? I must commend them :)

vniow
Nov 18, 2002, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by springscansing

Shut up man, they're still feeding your stupid ass.

Wow, scem0 must have some kind of power over you, everything he says you must reply to.

Interesting.

MacCoaster
Nov 18, 2002, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by e-coli
actually, drivers and DLL's and networking and peripherals are all meddeningly difficult to install and use on a windows machine, even for expert users (at times), so I see the ads as true to real world case studies.

I've always thought that Windows sells more Macs than Apple.
With Windows NT based operating systems (Windows 2000 and Windows XP), I've never had those problems you're preaching about.

I've got USB keyboards, USB mice, speakers, sound cards, etc and I've plugged them in when I built my computer and they just work.

Funny, I hear a lot more people whining about printer support in OS X than if the driver for the printer works (hell, on my computer, it's already preinstalled when I installed the OS). No big difference between the Mac OS and Windows anymore except the UNIX background and GUI.

DavisBAnimal
Nov 18, 2002, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by AssassinOfGates
the De La _?__ is just plain unrelated, like they were just promoting their own album.

Just to clarify - that song they reference is off of an album titled AOI: Mosaic Thump that came out almost three years ago - I don't think this commerical does much in the way of promoting it.

As a hip-hop fan it was simply cool to see the role a mac played in the creation of a modern day hip-hop classic, and one of the best jams to come out in the past 5 years.

Some of the celebrity ads may cater to niche markets but, for the most part, thats what Apple does best - why not keep it up?

Davis

PS. If anyone cares to debate the quality of De La Soul new and old - from Buhloone Mindstate to AOI, shoot me an email

Kid Red
Nov 18, 2002, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by AssassinOfGates
A: I agree to a point. I think this agressive campaign is great because it is real people on real complaints that can relate to the world, yet the iPod kid being "Powerful" was lame, the "Stoned Chick" was a tad overreacvtive, (So your comp crashes, does that justify buying a $3000 comp) and the De La _?__ is just plain unrelated, like they were just promoting their own album.

The stoned chick is great for stoner chicks and the boys that like them, which is a great majority of today's youth.

De La Soul, as mentioned above is related as they are saying how they nailed that song's chorus because they did it on a mac. And that song is like 2 years old. AND don't forget they were in the Rip Mix & Burn commercial.

cubist
Nov 18, 2002, 08:21 PM
Three! And also a Gateway ad that was flashy and incomprehensible.

Chuck Berry is reputed to have said: "I'm happy to be here. I'm happy to be anywhere at all". So I'm happy to see Apple advertising at all. Maybe the switch ads aren't the greatest, but people are seeing them and thinking about them.

And they don't flash annoyingly, or show stupid things like kids flying in the air, or a klutzy man walking around in a butterfly suit, or bikini-clad girls rolling in snow. They show fairly sensible people talking like sensible people talk.

Most commercials today seem to be going for the completely wacko, noisy, flashing look. They are visually irritating, and it's often hard to tell what they are selling. It's a shame that many are probably produced on Macs.

I would like the Apple commercials to show the computers, though. If only just for a second.

Anon
Nov 19, 2002, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by 3777

P.P.S. I think even most "real" people......as opposed to my cartoony self....... are smart enough to use a frigan printer....... Apple seems to be targeting that .0009 percent too stupid to use the printer......... so they can increase their market share by .0009 percent.:rolleyes: Too bad they didn't put their effort into advanced HARDWARE .....then they could talk about what they have to offer, rather then make their users look stupid by saying get a Mac if your too stupid to use a printer.:rolleyes:

Most people don't know the difference between SPP, ECP, or EPP. They also have no idea how to change those modes. On the good side, just about everything uses ECP, so it doesn't matter to most people.

benixau
Nov 19, 2002, 01:10 AM
i agree cubist. 20% of apples appeal to the comsumer base is the nice looks of the computers. I know everyone in my family (bar my dad who already has a mac) wants to sell the family pc and get mac becaasue the case and OS look cool.

<rant>My middle bro especially likes the dock, he wants me to get hime one on the pc and gets pi$$ed when i say that it cant be done. </rant>

we need to see the computers on the ads. get them to hold ibooks or pbooks when they talk. have an imac g4 in the background, something.

void
Nov 21, 2002, 06:37 AM
anon-do you work at kinkos or something?