Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Maybe I misunderstood the way Apple was explaining it, but iOS6 was supposed to add Siri to the 4th gen Touch, right?

If so, how do I access it? Holding the home button just opens Voice Control, the same as it always did.

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
Siri will not work on the 4th generation iPod touch. There are some jailbreak solutions that will enable Siri, but I have seen a couple reports of it messing devices up.

The main reason it is not enabled is that the A4 processor is not quite up to spec for Siri.

Only the 5th generation iPod touch will have Siri.

Also, before posting a new thread, don't forget to try searching the forums for the same problem. There have already been at least two threads with the same exact question.

vcoleiro1

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2011
As mentioned above, you will need to Jailbreak your ipod touch 4g and then load up SiriPort. I did, and it works perfectly.

I have my doubts about this whole A4 chip not being up to scratch, since SIRI is working perfectly on my iPod touch 4g . I suspect the real reason is that SIRI really hits Apples servers which support it . Therefore Apple wanted to limit the amount of devices that hit those servers.

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
The main reason it is not enabled is that the A4 processor is not quite up to spec for Siri.
This is BS. Siri operates entirely in the cloud; the A4 CPU is not a bottleneck to its performance. In fact, it is well-documented that Siri started life as an app (also called Siri) written by another company, and that app ran perfectly fine on the 3GS, so we KNOW the hardware is not a constraint here.

Apple bought the Siri company, integrated it into iOS, delisted the original app (which was free!) from the App Store AND blocked the original app from talking to the Siri servers after the 4S came out (to prevent people who already had the app on their iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 from using it anymore), and the rest is history.

-- Nathan

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
This is BS. Siri operates entirely in the cloud; the A4 CPU is not a bottleneck to its performance. In fact, it is well-documented that Siri started life as an app (also called Siri) written by another company, and that app ran perfectly fine on the 3GS, so we KNOW the hardware is not a constraint here.

Apple bought the Siri company, integrated it into iOS, delisted the original app (which was free!) from the App Store AND blocked the original app from talking to the Siri servers after the 4S came out (to prevent people who already had the app on their iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 from using it anymore), and the rest is history.

-- Nathan

While this is true, don't forget that chips after the A4 had a extra bit added to the CPU for voice recognition, or something to that extent. (I'm at work so I can't find the links.) I realize that while it might work in practice, it may not have been up to the specs that Apple wanted. Similar to wallpapers on the iPhone 3G and iPod touch 2nd gen. Jailbreak solutions worked fine for adding wallpapers, but the way Apple did it (icon shadows and such), it didn't work as well with the older processor.

Nyy8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2011
New England
I thought the Mic on the iP4S was improved with "voice Renegotiation technology" and that's why the iP4 didn't have it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.