Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the launch of the iPhone 5, several companies are performing tests and benchmarks on the new device. One common effort is to put any new iPhone in a series of drop tests to see how well it survives common falls.

Android Authority (via iPhoneinCanada) posts a drop test comparison video between the Samsung Galaxy S3 and iPhone 5 and actually finds in favor of the iPhone 5.

The iPhone 5 survived all the falls until they finally threw the device screen down. They describe the device as the "most durable iPhone" they've seen.

Article Link: iPhone 5 (vs Samsung Galaxy S3) Drop Tests Show Very Durable Device and Screen

carrako

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2008
very impressive. Makes me cringe everytime these guys make these videos....OUCH

AJH1993

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
Maybe they should have waited until the iPhone 5 was out longer before releasing something like this...... not like some people waited in line for hours to get one, only to find out the store was sold out.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
The vulnerability of the iPhone was always one of it's weaknesses, and it's nice to see that's been addressed.

Now I'm just worried that the quality of the product as a while, such as the paint coming off, will detract from that.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
After the glass iPhone 4 it's nice to have something like this to be more durable. I still want to get some back and front screen protectors however, to prevent scuffs.

Behindthelens83

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Chicago, IL
:(

Maybe they should have waited until the iPhone 5 was out longer before releasing something like this...... not like some people waited in line for hours to get one, only to find out the store was sold out.

Yeah you're telling me. I'm in that "ships 14-21 business days" club. It kills me to watch these fools deliberately wreck one of these beauties. SMH.

gforce216

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
But it can't survive vicious attacks from keys!!

I really really hope we get more threads on the scratches and it starts off with people saying that they got their keys and scratched their phone to prove that it can be scratched.

World Citizen

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
Most important conclusion in first id : "its just a cheap plastic anyway"

Couldn't find better words for that.

Ow and even the cracks look better than on a Samsung... Tho, it seems like they have tried to copy them.

hirshnoc

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah, obviously anyone who drops their phone from 5 feet 6 inches will first have dropped their phone from lower points -- they should have used a new model for each drop...

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i have to admit it was such a relief to throw my iPhone 4 across the library and down the stairs and through the campus building last year when i got my iPhone 4S. surprisingly enough it never really broke just got some scratches. eventually i got the iPhone 4 replaced from my insurance company for ... a broken homebutton :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.