Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Things I am missing, and hoping that Apple would have in stores, or at least third-party providers would pull through on by release date at retail locations:

- Adapters (can't use car cable!)
- Updated Bluetooth Solution (iOS 6 breaks bluetooth car technology)
- Cases (speaks for itself)

I feel like I'm better off letting the 5 sit in the box than I am opening it unprepared!

Anyone sharing these feelings??

Ice-Cube

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
Somewhere over the rainbow
Yeah me too. All the chargers and in-car adapters are rendered useless immediately. And all the news revolving scratches on the new iPhone just put me off to using the phone. Now its just sitting pretty in the box waiting for my cables, screen protectors and adapters to arrive.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Yeah me too. All the chargers and in-car adapters are rendered useless immediately. And all the news revolving scratches on the new iPhone just put me off to using the phone. Now its just sitting pretty in the box waiting for my cables, screen protectors and adapters to arrive.

May I ask what you are doing for cable solutions in the mean time? Did you just order through Apple and cross your fingers?

I wish I had ordered cases/protectors online in advance. As of this past Monday, they still had shipping estimates of over a week, which was too long IMO.

rapaleeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
Honestly this was part of my decision to wait on the 5 for a month or two. A change in accessories and making sure that I have a decent case/screen protector in hand are important for me.

The other thing is that I got burned on the first iPhone 4 thanks to antennagate (I'm left handed so it actually affected me everytime I tried to make a call). I want to know what I'm getting into when I take the plunge sometime in November.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Honestly this was part of my decision to wait on the 5 for a month or two. A change in accessories and making sure that I have a decent case/screen protector in hand are important for me.

The other thing is that I got burned on the first iPhone 4 thanks to antennagate (I'm left handed so it actually affected me everytime I tried to make a call). I want to know what I'm getting into when I take the plunge sometime in November.

I think since the design is basically the same, it should be okay with attenuation and vulnerability to breaking.

My main concern is the scuffing, which If I am affected, I have coverage through AMEX, and through the 30 day return policy.

I think you chose the right route, though.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
What changed with iOS 6 to stop bluetooth in the car from working?

From what I understand (and I am no Bluetooth genius), most Bluetooth systems use 1.2 or 1.3.

Apple implemented Bluetooth 4.0 in the iPhone 5, and the 3GS and newer us Bluetooth 2.1+

In an effort to make the software streamlined, they removed support/functionality for 2.0 and lower, thus rendering many accessories useless.

Ice-Cube

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
Somewhere over the rainbow
May I ask what you are doing for cable solutions in the mean time? Did you just order through Apple and cross your fingers?

I wish I had ordered cases/protectors online in advance. As of this past Monday, they still had shipping estimates of over a week, which was too long IMO.

I order additional lightning cables with my iPhone and they came together. However, without the dock connector cable, my in-car audio doesn't work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.