Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigeasy_uk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2005
Leamington Spa, England
As the title says, I'm an Intel Mac owner. I've had many PPC macs but now only use the Intel based ones.
I'm not sure if it's my tweaking/modding/fixing nature, but I find this part of the forum much more interesting than the rest!
Am I on my own here or are there any other Intel only users that read this part of the forum?

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
I have an iMac G4 and will be getting the 2012 iMac when they come out and I agree the PowerPC section is more interesting than anywhere else for some reason.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I have both Intel and PowerPC machines. They're more interesting because they're not all in dull aluminum casing with Apple logos stamped/cut out of them (besides the Power Mac G5 anyway). I get a lot out of them and love the unique design.

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
I have a Gen1 MBA, but the G5 just has more power. Especially when I am photochopping, Final Cutting or Logic Proing.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
My PowerPC systems far outnumber my Intel based ones. In 2006 I got an original MacBook Pro and replaced it a year later with a Core 2 Duo model and thats still my high end notebook. For about a year and a half I had a 2nd hand Core Duo Mac Mini hooked up to my TV which went through 3 logicboards and was a complete PITA. Its now a paperweight as buying an Apple TV for streaming video combined with my dual 2.0 PowerMac G5 was a far cheaper option for the TV solution.

I spend most of my time on the quad G5 and the 12" PowerBook than any other system. I also use the Cube a lot as well. The G5 is more than fast enough for what I do, but within the next year I'll be pushed to a new Intel Mac as security updates are already long-in-tooth and more and more software for PowerPC is getting outdated. It sucks, but I guess I've held out pretty well considering Apple really gave up on PowerPC when Snow Leopard came out over 3 years ago now.

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
My PowerPC systems far outnumber my Intel based ones.

I am in the same boat. As for fully functioning PPC macs I have 3 G4 PMs, an eMac, an iBook and a G5 PM. On the intel side, I have an MBA.

----------

For about a year and a half I had a 2nd hand Core Duo Mac Mini hooked up to my TV which went through 3 logicboards and was a complete PITA.

I recently was offered a Core Duo 1.6Ghz mini for $100. I so wanted it, but didn't have the cashola to get it. I doubt I will get a chance to pick up one that cheap again.

DrakkenWar

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
San Antonio,Texas
Sadly walking the same line...

I have been a huge PPC fan for more years than I would like to admit. I loved that fact that I was using something unique and different, and for the most part? The high end PPC's both desktop and laptops are viable even today for a lot of things that need to be done. I still have my PB, I love it. It gets things done for me in a pinch when I can't get in front of one of my intel mini's. But things are starting to change. While I don't think G4's and G5's will hit the same category as say my SE/30 anytime soon. They will quickly become a collectors item well before their time.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I have a different take on the PPC Macs. I grew up Mac and through the 90's and 00's I had Macs. And as much time as I invested in OS 7, 8, and 9. I have to say I am so so so glad for having Mac OS X 10.5, 6, 7, and 8.

The thought of having to deal with control panels and extensions and a non-multi tasking or non-multi-threading Finder and crappy browsers is a nightmare to me. I am so happy to be living in the future with my fast fast fast Intel iMac and iPad and iPhone.

Look, I understand nostalgia and at times I love reminescing. Heck, I even run a website that deals with explaining how to get SheepShaver and Basilisk running right. But I am over it, the future is here and I am happy for it.

Though I do keep an eye on the PPC forum because these are long-time Mac users, brothers in arms that went through the crap to get to the good. In a sense, Steve Jobs saved our beloved Apple and we quietly know that.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
I've got a secondhand Macbook 4,1 that I use as my mobile computer. I used to own a 2010 MBP 15" until it had a painful accident. 9 months no computer of my own, then got for free a 466MHz G4 tower, then I bought my current dual 1.8GHz G5. <3 this baby. Maxed out the RAM, added a 1TB HD plus 240GB SSD, fastest graphics you can get for a PPC Mac, Airport Extreme, another 10 USB ports... really love this baby. Also previously owned a 2007 MBP. It had so many of the GeForce 8600M GT GPU failures that my Applecare ended up giving me the new 2010 model at no cost. OH YEAH BABY :)

Arcsylver

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
Chicago, IL
My current daily driver is a new retina MBP which replaced a 2006 MBP.
I also have a G4 700 MHz iMac that serves as my audacity recording rig and a all but dead G3 bronze keyboard PowerBook.

All but the PowerBook see weekly use along with my first iPhone and my partners iPad 2.
PPC macs still have work to do for us you just have to use software from the era for them to work at the best they can

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.