PDA

View Full Version : Sell 2010 MBP 15" for 2011 MBA 13" or 2012 MBA 11" Opinions??

eddiexhart
Sep 21, 2012, 08:58 PM
So I've been debating for a while and I need some thoughts and opinions.
I currently have a 2.66 GHz MBP 15" with 1 TB of storage. I've been debating on downgrading to get a 2011 MBA 13" with 128 GB or a 2012 MBA 11" with 64 GB..

Now, reason why I wanna sell my current MacBook Pro is because I'm tired of how heavy it is and the battery doesn't last even 3 hours. I don't do anything hardcore, I'm a basic user, iTunes, iLife, Web. But I have about 200 GB of music. What I was planning on doing was getting a thunderbolt drive and have all my files and music on there if I get a MacBook Air.

But I'm not sure what one would be more worth it. The 2011 or the 2012. (read above)

BTW I have a Craigslist buyer wanting to buy my MBP for $900 hence why I'm stuck between the two Airs.

Anybody have any suggestions?:confused:

youngmac
Sep 21, 2012, 09:27 PM
128GB + external hard drive will be better, i suggest the 2011 if you don't mind the usb 3.0 and the better graphics intel 4000hd. i think the cpu upgrade on the 2012 one, won't benefit you as you are basic user.

Even though the 2012 will be better obviously, i thimk 64gb is too small even for a basic user.
For your use you might not see any difference between the 2011 and 2012 mb air.

i am surprised you are getting 3 hours on normal use on a 15' mbp i5, is it from 2011?

If you get the macbook air you will be taking with you everywhere, trust me i got one yesterday. And your 15' will be heavy.

eddiexhart
Sep 21, 2012, 09:43 PM
128GB + external hard drive will be better, i suggest the 2011 if you don't mind the usb 3.0 and the better graphics intel 4000hd. i think the cpu upgrade on the 2012 one, won't benefit you as you are basic user.

Even though the 2012 will be better obviously, i thimk 64gb is too small even for a basic user.
For your use you might not see any difference between the 2011 and 2012 mb air.

i am surprised you are getting 3 hours on normal use on a 15' mbp i5, is it from 2011?

If you get the macbook air you will be taking with you everywhere, trust me i got one yesterday. And your 15' will be heavy.

My MacBook Pro is a 2010. Yeah the battery does NOT last. And it gets freakin hot. I actually just found a 2012 MacBook Air 11" with 128 SSD brand new on Craigslist for $900. Do it?

0x000000
Sep 21, 2012, 09:50 PM
I'd also vote for the 2011's 13". The screen size is up to personal taste, but the disk space is not. You can do rather well with 128GB, with 64 however you'd frequently hit a cap. I've lived with the 2008 air's 80 GB for a while and while I somehow managed to get a long, but I always felt very restrained.

In any case, the speed gains from the SSD and the light weight will be an immense step forward.

To somewhat further increase the space, you may want to get one of those. It's a Kickstarter project and they're currently only beginning to ramp up production, but it looks promising :) http://theniftyminidrive.com

modular
Sep 21, 2012, 11:26 PM
i had a 2010 15" macbook pro

i do a lot of heavy computer use, especially with graphics. I had a hard time deciding which Air to get too. Used or new, 11" or 13", 2011 or 2012. In the end, I decided I didn't want to compromise portability or performance and I was willing to pay for it.

I got the 2012 11" i7 256mb 8gb macbook air. So far it feel just as fast if not faster than my 2010 mbp 15 (8gb, SSD, 512 graphics). But I LOVE the size of this thing. I can't believe i was even considering the 13" air, the 11 is just perfect. I've got it docked to my 20" monitor at home, so the screen size isn't really too much of a big deal when I'm doing heavy work. Traveling with is is amazing (I've already flown with it), and the 11" screen really isnt too bad when you figure out the right workflow. I've had it for 2 weeks now and I will never go back to anything larger.

t0rr3s
Sep 22, 2012, 03:27 AM
former 2011 15" mbp user here. currently with my 2012 11" 128gb 8gb ram machine and this thing is the bee's knees. it helps that i have a mac pro to fall back on for heavier tasks and but nothing seems to faze this little guy. i love carrying it everywhere, it's the ultimate computing combination of power, design and portability. i could even attach it to the 30" cinema display and it zips along with nary a whinge.

eddiexhart
Sep 22, 2012, 11:14 AM
i had a 2010 15" macbook pro

i do a lot of heavy computer use, especially with graphics. I had a hard time deciding which Air to get too. Used or new, 11" or 13", 2011 or 2012. In the end, I decided I didn't want to compromise portability or performance and I was willing to pay for it.

I got the 2012 11" i7 256mb 8gb macbook air. So far it feel just as fast if not faster than my 2010 mbp 15 (8gb, SSD, 512 graphics). But I LOVE the size of this thing. I can't believe i was even considering the 13" air, the 11 is just perfect. I've got it docked to my 20" monitor at home, so the screen size isn't really too much of a big deal when I'm doing heavy work. Traveling with is is amazing (I've already flown with it), and the 11" screen really isnt too bad when you figure out the right workflow. I've had it for 2 weeks now and I will never go back to anything larger.

So basically you're telling me to get a Air. You have me SOLD. I was gonna get a 13 cuz the battery but the 11 is sounding amazing.

FriendlyMackle
Sep 23, 2012, 03:03 AM
Just replying to eddiexhart - you mentioned that you found a 2012 11" MBA on Craigslist for $900. fyi - I just did a quick search on the Apple Store site in the Refurb department, and you can get a refurb 2012 11" MBA with 128GB SSD for $929 -- and all Apple refurbs have the standard one-year warranty - and are eligible for AppleCare (I believe- you should check on that!).

I've bought my last two Apple computers (2009 iMac 24" 2.66, and 2011 MBP 13" 2.3) as Apple refurbs - and frankly there's no way to tell that they weren't brand new.

I was going to insert a screen shot of the item from the apple store...but not sure how to do that as I don't have an online place to store images!

Anyway - I'm reading this thread because I've been considering upgrading to a newer computer, because I'd really like to have USB3 as well as a faster processor. In the past I would never have considered an Air - but it seems like they really are now comparable to the MBPs.

My concern - and pardon if I'm in the wrong thread - is whether the Air is really sufficient to run Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Acrobat Pro, concurrently with MS Excel, and 2 web browsers (Chrome, Safari). These are the programs which I use for work on a daily basis - I'm often switching between projects in progress, so keeping multiple applications and documents open in order to quickly take up where I left off when able to do so.

Best of luck with your decision!

modular
Sep 23, 2012, 11:51 AM
My concern - and pardon if I'm in the wrong thread - is whether the Air is really sufficient to run Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Acrobat Pro, concurrently with MS Excel, and 2 web browsers (Chrome, Safari). These are the programs which I use for work on a daily basis - I'm often switching between projects in progress, so keeping multiple applications and documents open in order to quickly take up where I left off when able to do so.

In terms of power, I would say yes, the air can handle it fine especially with 8gb ram (ive got CS 6 running often with Aperture, and lots of webpages open, plus mail and other things).
In terms of space on the screen, that's a workflow you'll have to figure out - might work for you might not.