Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 14, 2005
I know this has been posted a MILLION times, but I really don't care at this point (You can ban me if you need to :)). I just got my new PowerBook (15" standard config.) after returning from Dublin, and even though I was five hrs behind and really tired, I had to pull it out and play with it! I have to say, this computer is blowing me away by just how cool it is. Yeah, its towards the end of the cycle and the intels are coming, but I'm still glad I bought now, and this computer is going to be great for school/music.

Anyway, there is some sort of a point to this. I got this refurbished for $1700 (free shipping, tax-free). When I pulled it out, I was nervous that there was going to be something bad, but I was pleasantly surprised! No scratches, dings, dents, marks, etc. and all the suspected dead pixels I have found so far have turned out to be dust particles. Sure it doesn't come in the fancy box, and Tiger didn't come pre-installed (just with disks), but to me, that stuff isn't worth $300. Anyway, I'm impressed.

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
Yeah, I remember that feeling when I first got my PB. Every other day I would be like "wow, that is so cool" after discovering another feature, like swaping batteries when the PB is in sleep :D By the way, I always show this feature to my friends and the are just in disbelieve that you can do that. :)

Viva La Apple!!!

bentley

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2005
Mac_Freak said:
Yeah, I remember that feeling when I first got my PB. Every other day I would be like "wow, that is so cool" after discovering another feature, like swaping batteries when the PB is in sleep :D By the way, I always show this feature to my friends and the are just in disbelieve that you can do that. :)

Viva La Apple!!!

Ha I didn't know you could do that! Thanks!

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
bentley said:

Don't know if the 12"ers can do it, I think it's only the bigger ones, the iBooks certainly can't, they have to be shut down to swap batteries. Be careful!!

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
After reading this, I'm going to rethink my next purchase and maybe go refurb. ~Thanks

Glad you had a good deal with a refurb!

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
I didn't realize refurbs come in alternate packaging. Do you have any pictures? Thanks, and congrats on your purchase.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
bentley said:
Chundles is right, the iBooks and the 12" PB can NOT do a hot swap (I forget if that's what it's called) of the batteries... it would be the equivalent of pulling out the power cord while the 'book is still on. Not a recommended move. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.