PDA

View Full Version : First impressions. (iPhone 5/Samsung GS3)

daveathall
Sep 22, 2012, 07:14 AM
Of an iPhone 5 against a Samsung Galaxy S3.

Today I picked up on upgrade, a Black iPhone 5 16 GB from the O2 shop in Northallerton North Yorkshire UK. I was surprised that there was no queue and that stock on most versions were available, it seems like the 32GB are the most popular as these were sold out.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and will sell one of these two phones in one months time. I thought I would give my first impressions straight from the box on the iP5 against the S3 which I have used for 2 months after selling my iP4S.

It feels considerably lighter than the S3 and build quality is of normal superb Apple standard, but it does feel fragile, this may be because of the lightness of it. Setup was easy enough as is the norm with Apple products.

My old 55 year old eyes prefer the large screen size of the S3 and the stock keyboard of the iP5 seems small compared to the Swype keyboard or Swift key 3 that I am used to. Quality of the screens seem about the same to me.

The speed is, to me, about the same as my S3, there is no lag on either of the devices that I own. I must mention that I miss the back button. The phone feels very small, I am not sure that this is the optimum size, I would like a screen somewhere between the two if I am honest, but it will take me a couple of days to get used to this size, it may or may not be, that I prefer it smaller, we shall see.

I have not had it long enough to comment on the battery life, it will have to be good to surpass my S3 though.

If I was forced to pick one of them after 4 hours of owning the iPhone 5, it would be the S3, hands down, but, I will give the iP5 fair chance and will not make my final decision for a month. I will keep on updating this thread with my thoughts throughout the month.

Edit;
I have to put in a caveat with regards my "If I had to pick one now" comment above, if I had asked the same question after 4 hours of owning the SGS3, I would have picked the iPhone 4S that I was used to at the time.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc236/daveathall/DSC00138_zps0f339e8f.jpg

maflynn
Sep 22, 2012, 07:18 AM
My old 55 year old eyes prefer the large screen size of the S3 and the stock keyboard of the iP5 seems tiny compared to the Swype keyboard or Swift key 3 that I am used to. Quality of the screens seem about the same to me.
I was hoping with the iPhone 5 my (near 50 year old) eyes would not have as much problems with it, as I did on the iPhone 4. The larger phones like the droidx (which I used to own) made it a bit easier for me.

If I was forced to pick one of them after 4 hours of owning the iPhone 5, it would be the S3, hands down, but, I will give the iP5 fair chance and will not make my final decision for a month. I will keep on updating this thread with my thoughts throughout the month.
I've said this before, it all boils down to personal preference. I like some of android's features but I also like iOS's features as well. Pick the phone that best suits your needs

Nice comparison.

daveathall
Sep 22, 2012, 07:27 AM
I've said this before, it all boils down to personal preference. I like some of android's features but I also like iOS's features as well. Pick the phone that best suits your needs

Nice comparison.

Thank you.

I have to put in a caveat with regards my "If I had to pick one now" comment, if I had asked the same question after 4 hours of owning the SGS3, I would have picked the iPhone 4S that I was used to at the time.

Edit;
I have copied this post to my original post for completeness.

Oohara
Sep 22, 2012, 07:49 AM
Nice one, finally someone who's approaching this kind of comparison in a sensible way and giving it enough time. Looking forward to reading more.

Dontazemebro
Sep 22, 2012, 07:58 AM
How is the screen on the iPhone 5? I heard the images look like they're on top of he screen similar to the One X.

LIVEFRMNYC
Sep 22, 2012, 08:03 AM
The weight difference most likely has to do with the battery. I know when you take the battery out of the GS3, it feels basically weightless. The 2100mah batt should weigh more than the 1440mah.

daveathall
Sep 22, 2012, 08:12 AM
How is the screen on the iPhone 5? I heard the images look like they're on top of he screen similar to the One X.

I havent really seen the screen of the One X TBH, and I wouldn't trust my eyes as the best medium for comparison, but after reading your post, I did put on my reading glasses and open the Kindle app, quality is superb, although I wouldn't go so far as to say that the images looked like they were on the top of the screen 3D style, they are nevertheless excellent, and to be frank, I don't think anyone could, in all honesty, criticise the retina display.

Dontazemebro
Sep 22, 2012, 08:50 AM
I havent really seen the screen of the One X TBH, and I wouldn't trust my eyes as the best medium for comparison, but after reading your post, I did put on my reading glasses and open the Kindle app, quality is superb, although I wouldn't go so far as to say that the images looked like they were on the top of the screen 3D style, they are nevertheless excellent and to be frank, I don't think anyone could, in all honesty, criticise the retina display.
Thanks Dave, yeah not 3D style but looking at the one x, the images look like they pop out of the screen. I'm hoping the 5 would be a little bit better due to the merged panels.

Wrathwitch
Sep 22, 2012, 10:38 AM
Nicely written.

I look forward to hearing your observations and your decision!

iphonefan74
Sep 22, 2012, 10:53 AM

Today I picked up on upgrade, a Black iPhone 5 16 GB from the O2 shop in Northallerton North Yorkshire UK. I was surprised that there was no queue and that stock on most versions were available, it seems like the 32GB are the most popular as these were sold out.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and will sell one of these two phones in one months time. I thought I would give my first impressions straight from the box on the iP5 against the S3 which I have used for 2 months after selling my iP4S.

It feels considerably lighter than the S3 and build quality is of normal superb Apple standard, but it does feel fragile, this may be because of the lightness of it. Setup was easy enough as is the norm with Apple products.

My old 55 year old eyes prefer the large screen size of the S3 and the stock keyboard of the iP5 seems small compared to the Swype keyboard or Swift key 3 that I am used to. Quality of the screens seem about the same to me.

The speed is, to me, about the same as my S3, there is no lag on either of the devices that I own. I must mention that I miss the back button. The phone feels very small, I am not sure that this is the optimum size, I would like a screen somewhere between the two if I am honest, but it will take me a couple of days to get used to this size, it may or may not be, that I prefer it smaller, we shall see.

I have not had it long enough to comment on the battery life, it will have to be good to surpass my S3 though.

Edit;
I have to put in a caveat with regards my "If I had to pick one now" comment above, if I had asked the same question after 4 hours of owning the SGS3, I would have picked the iPhone 4S that I was used to at the time.

Image (http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc236/daveathall/DSC00138_zps0f339e8f.jpg)

Keep the SIII as your phone and return the iPhone or sell it when the new iPod Touch comes out and you can still have both. The new Touch is basically the iPhone 5 without the cell radio.

BrianSoCal
Sep 22, 2012, 11:03 AM
Looking forward to hearing more on this as well!!

daveathall
Sep 22, 2012, 12:06 PM
Keep the SIII as your phone and return the iPhone or sell it when the new iPod Touch comes out and you can still have both. The new Touch is basically the iPhone 5 without the cell radio.

Fair point. I don't really need both though, it will be one or the other. When I changed from my 4S to the SGS3, I didn't miss the 4S at all, I will use this as one of my yardsticks also, will I miss my SGS3 during my month with the iPhone 5? We will see.

Sensamic
Sep 22, 2012, 12:24 PM
What is that cool clock and calendar widget on your SGS3?

mcman77
Sep 22, 2012, 12:27 PM
good read and I look forward to future posts.

Keep in mind that Jelly bean will soon be released...I wonder if that can hinder your opinion on the S3.

daveathall
Sep 22, 2012, 12:38 PM
What is that cool clock and calendar widget on your SGS3?

It is wp clock 2 (live wallpaper) :D I really like it.

Better photo.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc236/daveathall/DSC00134_zps5059274e.jpg

MacRumorUser
Sep 22, 2012, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the overview.

I'm picking up my upgrade on Friday next, currently have a One X. In an ideal world if I could just drop Android & Sense and stick iOS on the One X it would be my preferable choice.

Vegastouch
Sep 22, 2012, 01:18 PM

Edit;

Image (http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc236/daveathall/DSC00138_zps0f339e8f.jpg)

The clock on your GS3.....is that a widget and if so which one and whats it called? I use Fancy Widgets but havent noticed that one yet.

MacRumorUser
Sep 22, 2012, 01:30 PM
The clock on your GS3.....is that a widget and if so which one and whats it called? I use Fancy Widgets but havent noticed that one yet.

No it's not a widget at all, it's actually a live wallpaper
(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tomanyz.lockWatchLight&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS50b21hbnl6LmxvY2tXYXRjaExpZ2h0Il0.)

:)

Only problem for me was that it's on all your home screens, so you whilst it looks great on one screen, your fecked with all the other home screens unless you like the look of that behind your other widgets. Personally I think it looks cluttered behind other icons and widgets.

daveathall
Sep 22, 2012, 01:43 PM
(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tomanyz.lockWatchLight&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS50b21hbnl6LmxvY2tXYXRjaExpZ2h0Il0.)

Only problem for me was that it's on all your home screens, so you whilst it looks great on one screen, your fecked with all the other home screens unless you like the look of that behind your other widgets. Personally I think it looks cluttered behind other icons and widgets.

For some reason I put it down as a widget, you are of course correct, it is a live wallpaper.

It can be customised so that the clock is not behind apps on other screens, I agree, it does look cluttered with the clock behind.

Wallpaper>Live Wallpapers>wp clock2>settings>animations>text animation and then move the slider to "slide out" or "fade out"

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc236/daveathall/Screenshot_2012-09-22-19-42-04_zpsf2c3e203.png

MacRumorUser
Sep 22, 2012, 01:51 PM
For some reason I put it down as a widget, you are of course correct, it is a live wallpaper.

It can be customised so that the clock is not behind apps on other screens, I agree, it does look cluttered with the clock behind.

Really ? Do you know where in the settings that is, its the only thing stopping me using it regularly. :)

This is from my One X main screen and subsequent.

daveathall
Sep 22, 2012, 02:01 PM
Really ? Do you know where in the settings that is, its the only thing stopping me using it regularly. :)

Yes, I amended my post with the settings, you may have read it before, Here ya go.

Wallpaper>Live Wallpapers>wp clock2>settings>animations>text animation> and then move the slider to "slide out" or "fade out"

It may be slightly different for the OneX but it is in the settings for the wp clock2

Hope that helps.:)

Vegastouch
Sep 22, 2012, 02:17 PM

Go in animations and check "No" on animate background image and it wont follow your home screens. I have mine to fade out and it goes away when i flick to another screen.

Here is my first crack at it. I cant get the blue and yellow to show up as bright as i want them to.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a369/Boltjolt/Screenshot_2012-09-22-12-34-12_zps2d87dd08.png

----------

[/COLOR]Really ? Do you know where in the settings that is, its the only thing stopping me using it regularly. :)

In appearance you can have the clock to fit the screen

MacRumorUser
Sep 22, 2012, 02:41 PM
Thanks guys :)

Sadly I think it's a setting that just doesn't work with the one X. They made some modifications to Sense 4.1 and the way it handles Live Wallpaper scrolling and i think it just doesn't work with 4.0.4 and sense 4.1 sadly. Bit of a shame (and a little of the android hiccups due to fragmentation of hardware and manufacturer modifications that means app experience can be very inconsistent between devices)

Roll on Jelly bean on October 10th and see if it is fixed in Sense 4.5 :-)

Vegastouch
Sep 22, 2012, 05:11 PM
Go in animations and check "No" on animate background image and it wont follow your home screens. I have mine to fade out and it goes away when i flick to another screen.

Here is my first crack at it. I cant get the blue and yellow to show up as bright as i want them to.

Image (http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a369/Boltjolt/Screenshot_2012-09-22-12-34-12_zps2d87dd08.png)

----------

Figured out how to make them brighter. I like his live wallpaper a lot but ill have to see under normal usage if it drains the battery very much. Been playing with it a lot so its hard to tell right now.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a369/Boltjolt/Screenshot_2012-09-22-15-41-43_zpsb659a0cc.png

daveathall
Sep 23, 2012, 05:57 AM
After 24 hours.

The iPhone 5 looks like a quality product, I do believe however that those that associate quality with heft will be disappointed, I am not one who subscribes to this thought. In all respects the fit and finish of this phone IMHO, is superb. It feels very nice in the hand, my 4S felt really outdated, heavy and slab like compared to my S3 after only a couple of days, the iPhone 5 corrects this and feels up to date and comfortable.

I still have not got used to the smaller screen size, with my S3 the transition to a larger screen took less than a day, this is compounded by the fact that only a very few apps are ready for the larger screen on the iP5, I realise that this is a bit unfair on my part and that app developers will be working to upgrade their apps soonest, in particular, large companies like Sky TV in the UK should be looking to enhance an already good service with the larger screen real estate now available, Tapatalk will also benefit from taking advantage of the larger reading area.

I miss the back button more than I imagined I would. The lack of the simple feature of pulling down the notification bar to toggle wi fi, bluetooth etc on and off is also something that I find annoying. I miss widgets but this is not a deal breaker.

It is nice to have the Apple TV and 1 Password Pro app available on my phone again, the first being absent from Google playstore, the second being unworkable (for me) on Android.

Reception seems about the same with both devices, the same can be said about call quality.

It would be unfair to compare battery life as at the moment I am using it more than normal as I strive to get used to the phone.

I have only had this phone for 24 hours and fully recognise that all the above are criticisms of something that at the moment seem strange to me, the same can be said when I swapped my iP4S to my SGS3 and fully expect my findings over the coming weeks to change somewhat as the phone becomes more "normal" in my hand.

onthecouchagain
Sep 23, 2012, 08:55 AM
I miss the back button more than I imagined I would. The lack of the simple feature of pulling down the notification bar to toggle wi fi, bluetooth etc on and off is also something that I find annoying.

Yeah, I really can't see myself ever going back (pun intended!) to iOS for these two reasons. Other reasons too, but these two are key.

These little things make the phone so much more usable. I've said this before, iOS is so simple that it's limiting, and thus ironically less usable.

Josh Topolsky from The Verge sums it up really well in his review of the iPhone 5: "It feels less useful to me today than it did a couple of years ago..." His entire "Software" section of the review is really spot on, actually. Check it out: http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/21/3363238/iphone-5-review

Oohara
Sep 23, 2012, 09:27 AM
To daveathall: awesome, keep 'em coming :)

What are those folder icons in your second screenshot? Very nice, I'm not crazy about the look of the stock folders.

tbayrgs
Sep 23, 2012, 09:35 AM
Yeah, I really can't see myself ever going back (pun intended!) to iOS for these two reasons. Other reasons too, but these two are key.

These little things make the phone so much more usable. I've said this before, iOS is so simple that it's limiting, and thus ironically less usable.

Josh Topolsky from The Verge sums it up really well in his review of the iPhone 5: "It feels less useful to me today than it did a couple of years ago..." His entire "Software" section of the review is really spot on, actually. Check it out: http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/21/3363238/iphone-5-review

Does Josh have you on his payroll? This has to be at least the 5 or 6th time I've come across you making reference to his review, just in my regular browsing of the forums. I'll agree that the review is fair and pretty spot on but shill much?

Calidude
Sep 23, 2012, 09:40 AM
Does Josh have you on his payroll? This has to be at least the 5 or 6th time I've come across you making reference to his review, just in my regular browsing of the forums. I'll agree that the review is fair and pretty spot on but shill much?
What's wrong with linking to a review that you agree is spot on? Are we only allowed to link reviews 2 or 3 times max on this forum?

MacRumorUser
Sep 23, 2012, 10:20 AM
To daveathall: awesome, keep 'em coming :)

What are those folder icons in your second screenshot? Very nice, I'm not crazy about the look of the stock folders.

The whole theme, is actually HOLO LIGHT theme by Virtuous Team.

It gives you as close to stock theme but with all the benefits of Sense :-)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.virtuous.skin.hololighthd&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS52aXJ0dW91cy5za2luLmhvbG9saWdodGhkIl0.

daveathall
Sep 23, 2012, 10:54 AM
I couldn't fault the camera on the iPhone 4S and can't fault the one on the iPhone 5 either, I must admit that I find taking photos with the iPhone easier than with my SGS3.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc236/daveathall/IMG_0739_zpse0b0f0cb.jpg

BoxerGT2.5
Sep 23, 2012, 11:25 AM
I couldn't fault the camera on the iPhone 4S and can't fault the one on the iPhone 5 either, I must admit that I find taking photos with the iPhone easier than with my SGS3.

Image (http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc236/daveathall/IMG_0739_zpse0b0f0cb.jpg)

I agree the iPhone is easier to take pics with, but I like the options the S3 gives you. The best shot is great when you have two kids 5 and 2 always on the move.

onthecouchagain
Sep 23, 2012, 11:41 AM

Thanks to the Apple/Samsung trials, we now know Apple actually pays very close attention to consumer feedback. The Verge review is the first high profile website written by a pretty high profile tech blogger that is speaking about the shortcomings of iOS honestly. If there are more out there, we should be sharing it.

And I don't always agree with Calidude (check out the thread where he predicts there would be a mass exodus of iOS users), but he's right to point out there's no rule against referencing a review multiple times.

Vegastouch
Sep 23, 2012, 12:00 PM
I agree the iPhone is easier to take pics with, but I like the options the S3 gives you. The best shot is great when you have two kids 5 and 2 always on the move.

Yes, many option on the S3. Just like a real camera. I dont see how holding up the phone and pressing the button to take a picture is harder but to each their own. How can the iPhone be easier than that?

daveathall
Sep 23, 2012, 12:41 PM
Yes, many option on the S3. Just like a real camera. I dont see how holding up the phone and pressing the button to take a picture is harder but to each their own. How can the iPhone be easier than that?

I have no scientific measure but I hear where you are coming from though, perhaps the size of the phones comes into play, for me, I just seem to get better photos with the iPhone. Going back it is one of the few areas that IMHO that the 4S bested my SGS3. But I do accept that others experiences have differed from mine.:)

towg
Sep 23, 2012, 12:49 PM

Edit;

Hi - whats that clock widget you have on the S3? I really like it.

Jessica Lares
Sep 23, 2012, 12:50 PM
Psshh. I spend ALL day at The Verge and would probably/have referenced their reviews too. They have what other tech news sites don't have, community, variety, and a easy on the eyes site. Love their Android and iOS apps too, they are nicely designed.

daveathall
Sep 23, 2012, 12:53 PM
Hi - whats that clock widget you have on the S3? I really like it.

It is wp clock 2 (live wallpaper):)

Oohara
Sep 23, 2012, 01:00 PM

mcman77
Sep 23, 2012, 01:17 PM

it's got to do with one-handed operation :rolleyes:

3bs
Sep 23, 2012, 02:07 PM

It gives you as close to stock theme but with all the benefits of Sense :-)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.virtuous.skin.hololighthd&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS52aXJ0dW91cy5za2luLmhvbG9saWdodGhkIl0.

Too bad it doesn't work on my S3 :(

Can I get your wallpaper btw.

MacRumorUser
Sep 23, 2012, 02:11 PM
Too bad it doesn't work on my S3 :(

Can I get your wallpaper btw.

Sure here you go

MacRumorUser
Sep 23, 2012, 02:14 PM

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc236/daveathall/IMG_0739_zpse0b0f0cb.jpg

Yeah that image is great. I love using my phone for photos. My one X is ok but results are inconsistent.

3bs
Sep 23, 2012, 02:21 PM
Sure here you go

That looks great thanks. Do you get your wallpapers from a specific place? It's hard finding decent wallpapers ever since I switched to an S3.

BoxerGT2.5
Sep 23, 2012, 02:23 PM
That looks great thanks. Do you get your wallpapers from a specific place? It's hard finding decent wallpapers ever since I switched to an S3.

You try zedge??

3bs
Sep 23, 2012, 02:29 PM
You try zedge??

Yeah I have but never really found anything I liked. I'll give it another go. It's definitely a great app.

BoxerGT2.5
Sep 23, 2012, 02:58 PM
Yeah I have but never really found anything I liked. I'll give it another go. It's definitely a great app.

Great for ringtones and notification tones as well.

MacRumorUser
Sep 23, 2012, 04:55 PM

Same place I've been getting them for years. Interfacelift.com :-)

Simply choose android size 720x1280 and it'll be sized for you perfectly.

dejo
Sep 23, 2012, 05:07 PM
What's wrong with linking to a review that you agree is spot on? Are we only allowed to link reviews 2 or 3 times max on this forum?

Mod Note: Well, there is a forum rule about Overposting, for the record. Just be cautious you are not "making the same post" multiple times.

Calidude
Sep 23, 2012, 06:39 PM
Thanks to the Apple/Samsung trials, we now know Apple actually pays very close attention to consumer feedback. The Verge review is the first high profile website written by a pretty high profile tech blogger that is speaking about the shortcomings of iOS honestly. If there are more out there, we should be sharing it.

And I don't always agree with Calidude (check out the thread where he predicts there would be a mass exodus of iOS users), but he's right to point out there's no rule against referencing a review multiple times.
I was pretty disgusted with how some of the mainstream publications put on kid gloves when talking about iOS6. Only the blogs actually gave fair reviews. Those publications like USA Today really can't be counted on for anything except kissing the butt of any company that is big enough.

----------

Mod Note: Well, there is a forum rule about Overposting, for the record. Just be cautious you are not "making the same post" multiple times.
Yeah but if there's a link that has exclusive information from a good source or is a truly good review, it's not really overposting if you disseminate it in different threads whenever it is appropriate.

Southernboyj
Sep 23, 2012, 07:18 PM
Thank you.

I have to put in a caveat with regards my "If I had to pick one now" comment, if I had asked the same question after 4 hours of owning the SGS3, I would have picked the iPhone 4S that I was used to at the time.

Edit;
I have copied this post to my original post for completeness.

I know how you feel! The day I switched from iPhone 4S to GS3 I felt a little buyers remorse.. as if I wasn't sure if the GS3 (or Android) was right for me. A month later I have completely adapted to Android and the GS3 and I love it. TouchWiz on it is very good (better than the other skins imo) but I am currently running CM10.

daveathall
Sep 24, 2012, 06:35 AM
The iPhone is working flawlessly, looks great and got many an admiring glance at work. I do still miss my S3 though.

I am starting to miss the ease of use that my S3 has, Tapatalk has widgets for each account (Mac rumours etc) that I have and are easily accessed straight from one of my Android pages, the Flipboard widget on my S3 is replaced by an app in iOS that needs opening, toggling functions straight from the notifications bar is also a big omission.

The back button is probably the most missed thing so far, I don't know how many times I have come completely out of an app by pressing the home button on my iPhone. I miss being able to customise my home screen.

TBH, everything takes longer, to change anything I have to go into the long settings menu, for those that haven't tried Android, honestly, it's much quicker.

Keyboard is tiny compared to the S3, Swype is so much easier as well.

Admittedly these are all small points but they all add up to frustration.

I have said that I will give this phone a month, I will stick to that so that I can give a fair assessment against the S3, I didn't miss the iPhone 4S one bit when I changed from it to the S3, I am missing using my S3 now though.

Mrg02d
Sep 24, 2012, 10:21 AM
Once the iPhone charm wears off, you are left with a very basic phone. It looks nice on the outside, but on the inside its just boring iOS. I had a 4s, gave it a few days, and then traded for GS3. Ive got an iPad 3 so I know iOS plenty well.

I love the eye candy of the S3 and the horsepower to do it smoothly. (JellyBean of course). It doesnt look or feel cheap, but deffinately doesnt look as high end as the iPhone either.

If the IP5 had all the eye candy as well, id consider the smaller screen.

I think youll miss the gs3 too much to stick with IP5. ;)

daveathall
Sep 28, 2012, 10:43 AM
After 24 hours.

The iPhone 5 looks like a quality product, I do believe however that those that associate quality with heft will be disappointed, I am not one who subscribes to this thought. In all respects the fit and finish of this phone IMHO, is superb. It feels very nice in the hand, my 4S felt really outdated, heavy and slab like compared to my S3 after only a couple of days, the iPhone 5 corrects this and feels up to date and comfortable.

I still have not got used to the smaller screen size, with my S3 the transition to a larger screen took less than a day, this is compounded by the fact that only a very few apps are ready for the larger screen on the iP5, I realise that this is a bit unfair on my part and that app developers will be working to upgrade their apps soonest, in particular, large companies like Sky TV in the UK should be looking to enhance an already good service with the larger screen real estate now available, Tapatalk will also benefit from taking advantage of the larger reading area.

I miss the back button more than I imagined I would. The lack of the simple feature of pulling down the notification bar to toggle wi fi, bluetooth etc on and off is also something that I find annoying. I miss widgets but this is not a deal breaker.

It is nice to have the Apple TV and 1 Password Pro app available on my phone again, the first being absent from Google playstore, the second being unworkable (for me) on Android.

Reception seems about the same with both devices, the same can be said about call quality.

It would be unfair to compare battery life as at the moment I am using it more than normal as I strive to get used to the phone.

I have only had this phone for 24 hours and fully recognise that all the above are criticisms of something that at the moment seem strange to me, the same can be said when I swapped my iP4S to my SGS3 and fully expect my findings over the coming weeks to change somewhat as the phone becomes more "normal" in my hand.

I will have had the iPhone 5 for a week tomorrow.

My thoughts haven't changed much from when I had the phone for a day, some minor points to add though.

I have not had any of the reported wifi problems on my iP5.

Battery is on a par with my S3, I don't use maps that often but when I do, I prefer street view, but that is not a deal breaker. I also prefer to have a notification LED. The keyboard is tiny and I still miss the ease of Swype on my S3.

I can't help feeling that I will be switching back to my S3 after a month, TBH, it may well be sooner. After one week of having my S3, my iPhone 4S was relegated to the cupboard until I sold it, I never gave it a second thought. I cant say the same this time, as good a phone as the iPhone 5 is, apart from the more up to date case and look, it is IMHO too close to being a 4S, nothing much (for me) has changed.

onthecouchagain
Sep 28, 2012, 11:57 AM
I've hopped between Android, iPhone, then now currently back to Android.

Before, there was good reason to switch back to iOS. Today, there isn't, or at least not enough to offset the reasons to stay with Android. Stock Android has really gotten to a point where it's good enough to stick around long term.

I still use iOS on my iPad, and I gotta say, lack of back button, lack of dedicated settings/menu button in apps, lack of so many useful functionality in iOS makes the experience a bit frustrating. Thankfully, I don't require much with my iPad other than leisurely browsing and playing games, so it's not a big deal.

But from my smartphone that is with me all the time the demands are more. The flexibility goes a very long way in making the phone experience more pleasurable and usable.

Stay the path, OP, if Android's the way for you.

daveathall
Sep 29, 2012, 04:53 AM
I have had the iPhone for a week now. I was going to keep it for a month, but I now see that it would be a waste of a further 3 weeks. IMHO the iPhone 5 is very close to its predecessor, the iPhone 4S. As previously stated I had swapped my iPhone 4S for a Galaxy S3 because (for me) it was a better phone. Nothing new that I have seen from the iPhone 5 changes that opinion.

I have supported Apple through my previous purchases of iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S, MBP, Apple TV, iPad and 2 iPod classics and was really hoping that this new iPhone would blow the competition out of the water, hell even if it was close, I would have forgiven it its shortcomings and gone with it because of my reliance to the Apple ecosystem. I really wanted to like this phone but can't, as good a phone as it is (and it is a good phone) I enjoy my S3 better, nothing has changed in that regard.

I am not technically minded and have not jailbroken or rooted any of my phones, I just find that even with a basic knowledge, one can customise (in minutes) the S3 to ones personal preference a lot better. I think I can sum it up like this; If both phones were TVs, the iPhone 5 would have a smaller screen, which in some cases isn't too bad, but tellingly, it would have fewer channels.

I think that there are a lot of myths spun when it comes to Android phones that might have been true in the past, however, IMHO, these tired old arguments are continued to be used by people that have not experienced the newer generation of Android but want them still to be true, or have spent only a couple of minutes using a shop display model, this is a shame, because those opinions nearly influenced me to not even bother with the S3. But I did, I bought the S3 and expected to be huddled over an instruction manual with a slow buggy phone that I couldn't get to work satisfactorily, and even when I could, the battery life would have been so bad that it would not last the day out. My experiences are the complete opposite, and convince me that some are blinded by a misguided loyalty to a single company or phone and would do well to sample other products and then to comment, good or bad. Some may be surprised.

I have the opportunity to pick from what I regard as he best two smart phones on sale at the moment. I have them physically to hand as I type, my decision is not based on others comments, but my real life experience of both phones. I will be selling the iPhone 5 and keeping the SGS3.

All the above and previous posts are of course, just my opinion and are how I use and want my phone to work. Both the S3 and iP5 are superb phones.

atrampus
Sep 29, 2012, 08:42 AM
Great write up - I bought a SGS3 when they first came out, and quickly put it away, and reverted back to my trusty 64Gb i4s.

I then jailbroke the phone etc, but low-and-behold, when the mess (to me at least) that is ios6 came along, I whipped out the SGS3 again. I have been using it for the last 2 days, and I absolutely adore it - the screen size is E*P*I*C, and I love the swype keyboard function.

I don't know if I'll upgrade to the Note2, but I will definitely upgrade to the S3 4G in 64GB (if / when it comes).

Like you, I will be selling my iPhone now.

Achillias
Sep 29, 2012, 08:53 AM
Got a Samsung Galaxy S3 aswell after selling my iPhone 4S. Wouldn't trade it for the iPhone 5, the Samsung Galaxy S3 is such a great smartphone.