PDA

View Full Version : Did the Black iPhone kill our chances of a Black MacBook?

appswipe
Sep 22, 2012, 08:03 AM
Out in the iPhone forum then the biggest threads there are all about "scuffgate" where the black coating on the aluminum dents/scuffs/scratches silver. Im feeling Apple was experimenting a bit by putting a large slab of coated aluminum on the back of the iPhone before they'd try it on a larger surface like the iPad or Macbook and so far it seems to not be very promising.

So, considering that many people (myself included) have been begging for black Macbooks then does this change your mind? Do you still want a Black Macbook with all the potential wear/damage issues or should Apple stick to the current color where dents and dings are less visible?

Mrbobb
Sep 22, 2012, 10:14 AM
An black coating like hard anodized (very tough, like in some cookwares) should resist scratching rather nicely, but if they just put a coat of paint on top of silver aluminum (can't see an Apple product made like that) then no.

I don't remember the color iPod minis (came in six colors) had many complaints about scratching.

There is color, then there is finish. Do you want gloss or matte finish? Gloss is OK as long as u can buff out the scratches. Matte finish should be more care-free.

KPOM
Sep 22, 2012, 10:28 AM
It remains to be seen how much of an issue scuffing is. We don't know how much is scuffing from actual use vs. people receiving units that were scratched during the production process. For that matter, we don't even know how widespread the issue is. The demo units I've seen looked pretty good after a busy day of use.

That said, I opted for the white and am glad I did. Scuffing is always easier to see on black than on white, and since the black model is dark all around (even the antenna and back) normal wear and tear will be easier to see.

iamsen47
Sep 22, 2012, 11:31 AM
Honestly, I PREFER having the little knicks and dings.

Carouser
Sep 22, 2012, 01:08 PM
'Scuffgate' matters to Apple about as much as a 'will it blend' video (as it should).

jbzcar
Sep 22, 2012, 01:27 PM

That might be the dumbest thing I have ever read.

iamsen47
Sep 22, 2012, 01:37 PM
That might be the dumbest thing I have ever read.

It's called weathered design, *******.
You could learn to respect others' perferences.

jbzcar
Sep 22, 2012, 02:20 PM
It's called weathered design, *******.
You could learn to respect others' perferences.

This post proved me wrong, lol.

nexusrule
Sep 22, 2012, 03:21 PM
This post proved me wrong, lol.

Not everyone care that their objects and gadgets stay immaculate as if they were some holy relics.

macneubie
Sep 22, 2012, 07:48 PM
Some people think their apple product should be a slave to serve them, while some are slaves to serve their apple stuff.

NutsNGum
Sep 23, 2012, 09:37 AM
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/006/026/futuramafry.jpg

tdhurst
Sep 23, 2012, 09:43 AM

I like my electronics to look used. The nicks and dings are proof that it's MINE.

jcbauerca
Sep 26, 2012, 05:07 PM
I think if you spray a coat of clear automotive lacquer on the iPhone that will protect it. Or just get Ghost Armour.