Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MDiddy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Chicago
Is this some form of damage control on apple's part? Just got this popup in maps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 135

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
I think it's more a safety warning to avoid idiots trying to sue Apple when they have a crash while driving because they were looking at the app rather than the road ahead.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
This will be a grey area for some lawyers. Using your phone while driving is illegal in most places but you can use navigation without issue. So navigation on a phone??

I'm waiting for the first "I wasn't texting while driving, I was navigating"

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
This will be a grey area for some lawyers. Using your phone while driving is illegal in most places but you can use navigation without issue. So navigation on a phone??

A lot of places have laws against "distracted driving" or something similar though.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Google gives disclaimers like that as well. From the bottom of a google maps search:
These directions are for planning purposes only. You may find that construction projects, traffic, weather, or other events may cause conditions to differ from the map results, and you should plan your route accordingly. You must obey all signs or notices regarding your route.

Apple is just making the disclaimer a little more obvious which I believe most turn by turn navigation devices do.

MDiddy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Chicago
I think that's a pretty standard disclaimer for any mapping/navigation app.

It was just strange to me that it popped up. I was just sitting at home using the maps app to find the closest AT&T or Verizon store so I could check out cases.

I wasn't driving and it wasn't the first time I opened the app. Just seemed to arbitrarily appear and my first thought was maybe they added it in response to all the bad press they've had

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
It was just strange to me that it popped up. I was just sitting at home using the maps app to find the closest AT&T or Verizon store so I could check out cases.

I wasn't driving and it wasn't the first time I opened the app. Just seemed to arbitrarily appear and my first thought was maybe they added it in response to all the bad press they've had

I downloaded iOS 6 as soon as it came out and I also had this pop up. That was before the bad press, so no, nothing to do with that.

Just a side note, mine was blue, not green like yours.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 75

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
It's a standard disclaimer. Some idiots have literally ran off a cliff and blamed their navigation software. LOL.

i-John

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2008
The Republic of Texas

Well, in most cases if you fight it, they just get your texting records and see if you were texting at the reported time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.