PDA

View Full Version : Stinky G5

Zeke D
Sep 22, 2012, 12:19 PM
I recently acquired a "Dead" PMG5. The wireless and BT immediately went into another machine. I ended swapping out the CPUs and all the fans. Basically due to nicotine and cigarette smoke the fans and heat sinks were clogged and unusable and one of the CPUs overheated and fried. I disassembled the whole thing and cleaned The unit still reeks of cigarette smoke. Any ideas on getting that stank outta there?

California
Sep 22, 2012, 12:32 PM
I recently acquired a "Dead" PMG5. The wireless and BT immediately went into another machine. I ended swapping out the CPUs and all the fans. Basically due to nicotine and cigarette smoke the fans and heat sinks were clogged and unusable and one of the CPUs overheated and fried. I disassembled the whole thing and cleaned The unit still reeks of cigarette smoke. Any ideas on getting that stank outta there?

Baking soda removes odors. But be careful with the powder getting into anything. maybe open a box of Baking soda and put the whole thing under a plastic garbage bag until the stink is gone.

Zeke D
Sep 22, 2012, 01:20 PM
Baking soda removes odors. But be careful with the powder getting into anything. maybe open a box of Baking soda and put the whole thing under a plastic garbage bag until the stink is gone.

Yeah like maybe one of those baking soda boxes that are supposed to go in a refrigerator.

Dark Void
Sep 22, 2012, 01:24 PM
What did you clean it with during the disassembly?

Zeke D
Sep 22, 2012, 02:14 PM
What did you clean it with during the disassembly?

Compressed air and windex.

Dark Void
Sep 22, 2012, 02:16 PM
Compressed air and windex.

Perhaps try some sort of rubbing alcohol to combat the smell?

Zeke D
Sep 22, 2012, 02:19 PM
Perhaps try some sort of rubbing alcohol to combat the smell?
As far as the unit goes, its pretty clean now. I am gonna try the refrigerator baking soda thing and see what happens.

Dark Void
Sep 22, 2012, 02:23 PM
That's probably your best bet if the individual components and case are already wiped down properly.

Hrududu
Sep 22, 2012, 02:25 PM
I had to clean out a 24" iMac in similar condition. It'll never really go away, but I found this stuff (http://www.blowoff.com/electronics/electronics_cleaner.htm) to be the absolute best cleaner for computer hardware. It really cleans up cases like new.

thorns
Sep 22, 2012, 03:52 PM
You could try placing a pot of ground coffee in front of the fans, or vinegar, but I'm not too sure about that.

Zeke D
Sep 22, 2012, 05:02 PM
You could try placing a pot of ground coffee in front of the fans, or vinegar, but I'm not too sure about that.

I stuck an air freshener in there and it has abated the smell.

Jessica Lares
Sep 22, 2012, 06:00 PM

This was what I was going to say too. I say put it directly IN the G5 and leave it there overnight. The air freshener won't do anything long term, but the coffee grounds will soak it right out.