Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlackBook88

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
I went to best buy today. They had a great selection of iPhone 5 accessories. I got the white griffin clear back white case and an Invisibile Shield HD screen protector. The screen protector looks amazing. Crystal clear and doesn't effect touch at all. Feels good to know my phone is protected but it still aesthetically looks great with the clear back case and screen protector. I recommend both.

MedicBMC

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2011
So. Cal
I got the same case and screen protector. Very nice case....for the time being this will be sufficient until I can get my hands on an element case. The screen protector is great too it doesn't have that orange peel effect like other zagg products.

Fissure

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
meh, I checked out the Zagg at my Best Buy. There is a large section top middle of the film that doesn't protect anything. It goes around the earphone and above camera. Kinda didn't make sense to me. I passed on it. I need to find something cheap until Power Support comes out with a set.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
I went to best buy today. They had a great selection of iPhone 5 accessories. I got the white griffin clear back white case and an Invisibile Shield HD screen protector. The screen protector looks amazing. Crystal clear and doesn't effect touch at all. Feels good to know my phone is protected but it still aesthetically looks great with the clear back case and screen protector. I recommend both.

I bought it tonight, but am still trying to figure out if it feels like the glass. I don't want it to feel thick or sticky. I want it to feel as much like the glass as possible.

*havent installed it or opened the box

jbromer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MD, USA
meh, I checked out the Zagg at my Best Buy. There is a large section top middle of the film that doesn't protect anything. It goes around the earphone and above camera. Kinda didn't make sense to me. I passed on it. I need to find something cheap until Power Support comes out with a set.

Agreed, WAY too big cutouts. And even the HD has some "orange peel." Returned.

meganator

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
After 24 hours I couldn't stand it. Orange peel, rubbery feeling, screen was squeaky, the cut outs were weird. I don't think I can return it after installing, but oh well. Lesson learned.

Fissure

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
After 24 hours I couldn't stand it. Orange peel, rubbery feeling, screen was squeaky, the cut outs were weird. I don't think I can return it after installing, but oh well. Lesson learned.

If ou bought it at Best Buy they'll let you return it. I have before.

CKtoph

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2007
i put the HD on and after 24 hours it looks pretty good. The cut outs aren't perfect but this will be ok until Power Support gets theirs released.

Agreed. Haven't gotten mine yet, but from my experience, the IS+Power Support combo has always been the best.

Hopefully, the IS HD doesn't have the orange peel effect. It hasn't in the past...

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011

If ou bought it at Best Buy they'll let you return it. I have before.

I would be very surprised if Best Buy would let you return the shield after it's already been installed just because you don't like it.

ashley1496

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
I would be very surprised if Best Buy would let you return the shield after it's already been installed just because you don't like it.

I've done it twice! They didn't care.

Yesterday I also bought same case and screen protector. I had best buy install it and there were two tiny bubbles and both have gone away. It does not have he orange peel effect at all. The screen feels a bit grippier on the touch which actually helps prevent my fingers from slipping. I like it.

tnhick

macrumors member
May 8, 2008
I have the HD protector on my iPad, and I can say from using it, that it is much better than the original zagg screens. As for the feel, give it 48 hours, and then take some cleaning solution to it, that will take care of the rubbery feeling.

hpr

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2007
I got a IS HD from Best Buy to put on my 5 and I have to say I am not that impressed with it. I had an original IS on a 1st gen iPod touch and the sticky feeling and orange peel were just horrible. The HD feels much better but still has slight orange peel which is the part that is bothering me the most. That and it seems the edges of the protector always stays sticky and attracts lint and dust to the edge.

Overall this might be returned and it is good to hear Best Buy should refund me without much hassle.

Both the Ghost Armor and the Spigen screen protectors look like they have no orange peel at all so I might try one of those out...

CKtoph

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2007
I got a IS HD from Best Buy to put on my 5 and I have to say I am not that impressed with it. I had an original IS on a 1st gen iPod touch and the sticky feeling and orange peel were just horrible. The HD feels much better but still has slight orange peel which is the part that is bothering me the most. That and it seems the edges of the protector always stays sticky and attracts lint and dust to the edge.

Overall this might be returned and it is good to hear Best Buy should refund me without much hassle.

Both the Ghost Armor and the Spigen screen protectors look like they have no orange peel at all so I might try one of those out...

That's the first I've heard about IS having the orange peel. Is it on the screen? I only use the Power Support screen cover since I haven't found that any of the screen protectors can compare. How's the back part?

Any pics out there that show no orange peel with Ghost Armor or Spigen?

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006
1) Can someone explain what "orange peel" is?

2) Does the InvisibleSHIELD protect the sides of the phone which everyone claims is prone to scratching?

davistld01

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Springfield, MO
1) Can someone explain what "orange peel" is?

2) Does the InvisibleSHIELD protect the sides of the phone which everyone claims is prone to scratching?

"Orange Peel" is the look of the material when it's installed. It has a very slight ripple or texture to it...but the HD has much less than the original ZAGG screen protector (got it on my iP4s) or BSE skin.

And...no, it does nothing to protect the sides. Get a bumper case for that. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.