PDA

View Full Version : Motorola takes a shot at Apple...

DanteMann
Sep 22, 2012, 08:35 PM
So after Samsung was followed by Nokia stating, "it doesn't take a genius" to wisely chose their device over the iPhone, Motorola has now taken their turn at bat. I think it's another funny one....iLost, funny shlt.

http://tctechcrunch2011.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/moto_0000_location-1-2.jpeg

Sedrick
Sep 22, 2012, 09:23 PM
Apple is looking down right foolish over this map thing, that's for sure.

Quu
Sep 22, 2012, 09:30 PM

Agreed. What an epic blunder.

onthecouchagain
Sep 22, 2012, 09:40 PM
It's this generation's "Damn You iPhone Auto Correction."

Fun for all on the interwebs.

Dontazemebro
Sep 22, 2012, 09:43 PM
SMH @ Apple's "robust" mapping features.

Oohara
Sep 22, 2012, 09:47 PM
This one isn't that funny though. The iClouds jokes are funnier imo :D

bigjnyc
Sep 22, 2012, 09:52 PM

Agreed. What an epic blunder.

Apple is probably the only company who can get away with a blunder like this and not affect sales.... They are still selling them as fast as they can make them despite the whole maps fiasco. Its funny how Samsung and Motorola spend all this money trying to diss Apple in commercials and ads, but it hasn't deterred Millions and Millions of people from pre-ordering and lining up.

Dontazemebro
Sep 22, 2012, 09:55 PM
Apple is probably the only company who can get away with a blunder like this and not affect sales.... They are still selling them as fast as they can make them despite the whole maps fiasco. Its funny how Samsung and Motorola spend all this money trying to diss Apple in commercials and ads, but it hasn't deterred Millions and Millions of people from pre-ordering and lining up.

That's because the blind will always follow where you lead them. LoL.

iphonefan74
Sep 22, 2012, 09:55 PM

Judging from the huge marketshare lead Android has and how Samsung's Galaxy line outsells the iphone, I doubt Samsung NEED to do anything. They are just doing it because they can.

tech4all
Sep 22, 2012, 11:17 PM
While it's funny, it's not very creative. #iLost? Yea who hasn't thought of putting a word after "i" ?

b24pgg
Sep 22, 2012, 11:52 PM
Enough said.

http://i.imgur.com/MMzZm.png

thewitt
Sep 23, 2012, 12:03 AM
Of course they are showing a plain view against a satellite map view as well....

Oh and remember this is Google, not Motorola. There is no Motorola cell phone group any more - it's owned by Google...

Technarchy
Sep 23, 2012, 12:22 AM
Motorola is closing offices all over the globe...

Maybe they should worry less about Apple, and start focusing on making a product that isn't hideous.

intervenient
Sep 23, 2012, 12:39 AM

Maybe they should worry less about Apple, and start focusing on making a product that isn't hideous.

Came in to say this. Tell me when you have a phone with a non-crappy screen, and doesn't feel like it was made in the 80s Moto.

Oohara
Sep 23, 2012, 12:49 AM
Oh and remember this is Google, not Motorola. There is no Motorola cell phone group any more - it's owned by Google...
Yep. They can't troll Apple directly, so they do it through their recently aquired subsidiary instead.

Omg wait...they knew this was coming since they had pulled their maps from iOS 6, so they bought Motorola only to......... :eek:

Calidude
Sep 23, 2012, 12:55 AM
I'm disgusted by Apple Maps, but I'm even more disgusted by that Motorola AND Verizon carrier branding on the face of the phone.

Both those companies can go **** themselves with that.

Also, that RAZR looks like it was designed by a child who plays Madden on Xbox. What a piece of crap.

Technarchy
Sep 23, 2012, 01:32 AM
And it's a RAZRM of all things lol

Sedrick
Sep 23, 2012, 06:48 AM
I'm disgusted by Apple Maps, but I'm even more disgusted by that Motorola AND Verizon carrier branding on the face of the phone.

Both those companies can go **** themselves with that.

Also, that RAZR looks like it was designed by a child who plays Madden on Xbox. What a piece of crap.
The only thing I can say about that Moto phone is it looks better than that iPhone 4 slab next to it. Oh, sorry, it's the iPhone 5.

dwreck
Sep 24, 2012, 08:51 PM
So after Samsung was followed by Nokia stating, "it doesn't take a genius" to wisely chose their device over the iPhone, Motorola has now taken their turn at bat. I think it's another funny one....iLost, funny shlt.

Image (http://tctechcrunch2011.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/moto_0000_location-1-2.jpeg)

Apple's obviously not taking this ad very seriously--the bad search result is still showing up in Apple Maps.

On the other hand--and it's already been pointed out by one commenter here--where does Motorola get off comparing satellite view on the MOTO phone to a standard view on the iPhone? At a glance, it looks like the iPhone doesn't offer satellite view, when of course it does.

michaelz
Sep 27, 2012, 09:28 PM
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/09/27/google-faked-ilost-ad/

Tarzanman
Sep 28, 2012, 06:44 AM
Probably payback for the Droid Apple used in their antennagate video.

rdowns
Sep 28, 2012, 06:49 AM
Great going Googorola, the address does NOT exist in Manhattan.

Technarchy
Sep 28, 2012, 10:29 AM
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/09/27/google-faked-ilost-ad/

Stay classy there Google...

Michael Goff
Sep 28, 2012, 11:40 AM
Yep. They can't troll Apple directly, so they do it through their recently aquired subsidiary instead.

Omg wait...they knew this was coming since they had pulled their maps from iOS 6, so they bought Motorola only to......... :eek:

A contract ran out, it wasn't them pulling it off maliciously.

Same reason why there was no YouTube.

Do we know why negotiations failed?

onthecouchagain
Sep 28, 2012, 11:52 AM
Not that I am defending Google, but please, Apple has its fair share of lies.

"The iPhone 5 is the world's thinnest phone" anyone?

And revealing this farce of Google/Moto doesn't make Apple Maps better.

Prototypical
Sep 28, 2012, 12:54 PM
A contract ran out, it wasn't them pulling it off maliciously.

Same reason why there was no YouTube.

Do we know why negotiations failed?

As I understand it, Google refused to allow Apple to use Turn-by-Turn directions in their version of navigation. Basically, if Apple wanted to provide TBT to their customers (something Android people LOVED to rip iPhone owners about), they had no choice but to develop their own Maps application.

...Now whether or not it was wise to pull Google Maps before Apple Maps was fully tested is another discussion (for one of the 650,000 existing threads about it)...

Michael Goff
Sep 28, 2012, 01:19 PM
As I understand it, Google refused to allow Apple to use Turn-by-Turn directions in their version of navigation. Basically, if Apple wanted to provide TBT to their customers (something Android people LOVED to rip iPhone owners about), they had no choice but to develop their own Maps application.

...Now whether or not it was wise to pull Google Maps before Apple Maps was fully tested is another discussion (for one of the 650,000 existing threads about it)...

Ah, why would they do that? Doesn't TBT help them data mine more?

Tarzanman
Sep 28, 2012, 02:53 PM
Ah, why would they do that? Doesn't TBT help them data mine more?

The articles I have read have been short on details, but I believe that Google was only willing to offer turn by turn in exchange for location data and enabling Google Latitude functionality on iPhone.

Apple did not want to relinquish that much data to a competitor. It is the same kind of data that Apple themselves was collecting. Apple would have a much harder time selling the demographic information on their users if Google had it too.

NT1440
Sep 28, 2012, 02:56 PM
Why does the Droid have satellite view enabled while they kept the iphone in standard view?

Lets ignore that they had to fake an address, but why the **** are they showing two entirely different use cases?

Not to mention that woman has HUGE hands if that droid is that small in it.

cotak
Sep 28, 2012, 02:58 PM
Why does the Droid have satellite view enabled while they kept the iphone in standard view?

Lets ignore that they had to fake an address, but why the **** are they showing two entirely different use cases?

Not to mention that woman has HUGE hands if that droid is that small in it.

You might as well ask why most Ads features beautiful people who don't represent the average person?

NT1440
Sep 28, 2012, 03:01 PM
You might as well ask why most Ads features beautiful people who don't represent the average person?

If this is in regards to the hand comment I get it.

What I don't get is if they want to make Apple look bad, they might as well compare both addresses in satellite view, not have the Droid use satellite view while the iPhone is set to standard view.

It just looks like a weak attempt.

cynics
Sep 28, 2012, 03:20 PM
This ad is to show the iPhone size vs the Razr's size. Similar dimensions as the iPhone 4/4S but has a 4.3" screen. Isn't this what people have been asking for? Small phone with a large screen? Why can't apple do this?

Michael Goff
Sep 28, 2012, 03:21 PM
The articles I have read have been short on details, but I believe that Google was only willing to offer turn by turn in exchange for location data and enabling Google Latitude functionality on iPhone.

Apple did not want to relinquish that much data to a competitor. It is the same kind of data that Apple themselves was collecting. Apple would have a much harder time selling the demographic information on their users if Google had it too.

That makes sense.

Technarchy
Sep 28, 2012, 04:30 PM

Why?

Evil...

G51989
Sep 28, 2012, 08:02 PM
If this is in regards to the hand comment I get it.

What I don't get is if they want to make Apple look bad, they might as well compare both addresses in satellite view, not have the Droid use satellite view while the iPhone is set to standard view.

It just looks like a weak attempt.

Not as weak as Apples map attempt.

cynics
Sep 28, 2012, 08:47 PM
Btw, that looks like a fan made advert not by Motorola. There is just too much wrong with it, and not very Motorola like. Too much branding, Motorola, Apple & AT&T. Doesn't represent the product very well. The satellite view vs non is too obvious. Just doesn't look right....

NT1440
Sep 28, 2012, 10:27 PM
Not as weak as Apples map attempt.

Did you have an answer or just a zinger?

Why does Motorola need to photoshop their phone to appear similar in size to the iPhone and come up with indirect comparisons of a features?

^This guy may have it right? Is this even an official advert? I've seen it a few places around the internet at this point...

mrskullfreak
Sep 28, 2012, 11:22 PM
I really only expect the best from apple.
How did they screw this up so badly...

Mrg02d
Sep 29, 2012, 04:44 AM

U mad bro?

onthecouchagain
Sep 29, 2012, 10:41 AM
Why does Motorola need to photoshop their phone to appear similar in size to the iPhone and come up with indirect comparisons of a features?

I think asking this question shows a great ignorance to the world of advertising. It happens all the time. Things get manipulated and cheated in the product's favor. No one's even necessarily defending the ad. Personally, I feel it's not even a good ad even if it does use an accurate address.

And the same can be asked of Apple: why does Apple need to lie about their phone being the "world's thinnest phone?" This was a lie to a room full of tech journalists.

It's marketing, and it's a nasty business.

And the point remains, Apple's Maps is a failure.

cynics
Sep 29, 2012, 01:54 PM
I think asking this question shows a great ignorance to the world of advertising. It happens all the time. Things get manipulated and cheated in the product's favor. No one's even necessarily defending the ad. Personally, I feel it's not even a good ad even if it does use an accurate address.

And the same can be asked of Apple: why does Apple need to lie about their phone being the "world's thinnest phone?" This was a lie to a room full of tech journalists.

It's marketing, and it's a nasty business.

And the point remains, Apple's Maps is a failure.

The Razr M is about the same size as the 4/4S is it not?

Razr M

4.82 x 2.40 x 0.33 (122.5 x 60.9 x 8.3 mm)

iPhone 4/4S

115.2 mm (4.54 in) H
58.66 mm (2.309 in) W
9.3 mm (0.37 in) D

It's a little taller but a little narrower and a little thinner. With a screen that's .8" bigger!!! Regardless I'd say that's comparable enough. Maybe why it's at an angle in the ad. Which btw is the point of the ad not maps.

cynics
Sep 29, 2012, 01:56 PM
Did you have an answer or just a zinger?

^This guy may have it right? Is this even an official advert? I've seen it a few places around the internet at this point...

Because it is similar size, see above post.