Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Hi Guys,

I'm a Web Designer and am looking to buy an affordable camera, my budget is currently $125.. I've been using stock photos for a while, but decided I want to learn to take decent photography and use it in my work..

I'm a complete noob when it comes to camera's, can anyone recommend a decent camera for around the $125 price range?

PS: Looking for a camera that can achieve depth of field, something like the attached image..

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-09-22 at 7.26.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-09-22 at 7.26.48 PM.png
    842.4 KB · Views: 140

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Depth of Field (DOF) is a function of the aperture or opening inside the lens. Apertures are reciprocals and so what way appear as a larger number like 22 is in reality a smaller opening than the aperture 2.8. The larger the aperture number, the smaller the opening and the greater the DOF. The wider the aperture, the shallower the depth of field. The posted photo has a shallow DOF. You can get such a shot with a iPhone's shallow 2.8 aperture. If you want landscapes, typically those are shot with narrower apertures such as 11, 16, or 22 to try to get everything from the foreground to the distant horizon all looking in focus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.