PDA

View Full Version : [iPhone] Why I went for iPhone 5 instead of gs3

Idarrin96
Sep 22, 2012, 10:45 PM
Im so ready to get my ip5 jailbroken. I have never jailbroken my iphone in the past and i have had them all 2g 3g 3gs etc I have never jail broke for the simple fact of voiding my warranty,slower speeds, shorter battery etc but now since I've owned all of the past iPhones I feel bored with the os and its really stale. And with that being said I had to choice to chose from going with the gs3 or jailbreak so I was dead set on going with the android until I saw a cydia tweak called dashboard x. The widgets made me feel like I had the best of both world so I decided to stick with iOS. I'm just writing this article to get others opinion and insight thanks and how do you like the widgets.

Meanee
Sep 22, 2012, 10:49 PM
So you went with iPhone because you can get faux-widgets on jailbroken iPhone? Great thinking there. What if you want different widgets?

There are tons of great reasons to go with iPhone. Same thing as there are tons of great reasons to go with GS3. But if you were really missing widgets that much, maybe you went with the wrong device.

Che Castro
Sep 22, 2012, 10:51 PM
Voiding warranty from jailbreak? I never heard of that

All you do is restore & goes back to factory settings

Idarrin96
Sep 22, 2012, 10:58 PM
So you went with iPhone because you can get faux-widgets on jailbroken iPhone? Great thinking there. What if you want different widgets?

There are tons of great reasons to go with iPhone. Same thing as there are tons of great reasons to go with GS3. But if you were really missing widgets that much, maybe you went with the wrong device.

The thing is I love iOS dearly I was just tired of looking at the same icons year after year so anything that made it look different would have made me happy if it only had 2 widgets on the home screen like weather widget and stock widget that are in the notification center I would have stayed dashboard x was just the icing on the cake

Surrylic
Sep 22, 2012, 11:14 PM
Voiding warranty from jailbreak? I never heard of that

All you do is restore & goes back to factory settings

What? Yes you can always go back to factory but while it's jailbroken the warranty is void according to apple's rules and regulations.

Che Castro
Sep 22, 2012, 11:16 PM
What? Yes you can always go back to factory but while it's jailbroken the warranty is void according to apple's rules and regulations.

Yea but how would they find out?

Looon
Sep 22, 2012, 11:18 PM
Yea but how would they find out?

I went to the genius bar with mine once and the guy asked why I was sweating so bad and I just blurted out that I had jailbroken my iPhone. It felt good to get off my chest but they wouldn't repair it for me.

Che Castro
Sep 22, 2012, 11:19 PM
I went to the genius bar with mine once and the guy asked why I was sweating so bad and I just blurted out that I had jailbroken my iPhone. It felt good to get off my chest but they wouldn't repair it for me.

Just restore before going?

TM WAZZA
Sep 22, 2012, 11:24 PM
Jail breaking does not cause battery drain. Don't spread misinformation. :)

iphonefan74
Sep 22, 2012, 11:27 PM
Im so ready to get my ip5 jailbroken. I have never jailbroken my iphone in the past and i have had them all 2g 3g 3gs etc I have never jail broke for the simple fact of voiding my warranty,slower speeds, shorter battery etc but now since I've owned all of the past iPhones I feel bored with the os and its really stale. And with that being said I had to choice to chose from going with the gs3 or jailbreak so I was dead set on going with the android until I saw a cydia tweak called dashboard x. The widgets made me feel like I had the best of both world so I decided to stick with iOS. I'm just writing this article to get others opinion and insight thanks and how do you like the widgets.

So you want your iPhone to do what the SIII does natively and you have to jailbreak it to do it? I can put a Cobra badge on a V6 Mustang, still won't make it a Cobra :)

Idarrin96
Sep 22, 2012, 11:39 PM
So you want your iPhone to do what the SIII does natively and you have to jailbreak it to do it? I can put a Cobra badge on a V6 Mustang, still won't make it a Cobra :)

Not necessarily I just like the idea of widgets and the gs3 is one of thousand of devices that have it other than that I chose iOS over android

Minhimalism
Sep 22, 2012, 11:53 PM

Wow are you serious. All you have to do is restore it before going, or be normal about it and half the geniuses won't even care that it's jailbroken.

i-John
Sep 23, 2012, 12:06 AM
Jail breaking does not cause battery drain. Don't spread misinformation. :)

There are plenty of badly coded apps on Cydia that'll happily drain your battery real quick.

Applejuiced
Sep 23, 2012, 12:08 AM
Im already missing bitesms and sbsettings:D
Looking forward to a JB for my i5.

MacChinoNyc
Sep 23, 2012, 12:19 AM
So anyone going to answer the op's question. What are widgets like on ios after you jb your ip :D

clborden
Sep 23, 2012, 12:20 AM

I get your point, but the v6 & Cobra...is that the best comparison? Maybe a standard GT w/ Cobra badges? At least it's a little closer in comparison, no? Lol.

TM WAZZA
Sep 23, 2012, 12:42 AM
There are plenty of badly coded apps on Cydia that'll happily drain your battery real quick.

It is the tweak / app that is the rogue. Not the jailbreak itself. :cool:

nyfliiboy
Sep 23, 2012, 01:15 AM
You'll be waiting quite a while for that jailbreak

RyanTheGeneral
Sep 23, 2012, 02:04 AM
I almost went for the gs3 myself!! Moment of weakness call it. I'm glad I made the right choice- btw I had dreamboard was more of a novelty for me. I stuck with iOS.

Let us know how it goes when you finally can get it up and running

mKTank
Sep 23, 2012, 02:19 AM
It is the tweak / app that is the rogue. Not the jailbreak itself. :cool:
Winterboard and MobileSubstrate are known to affect battery life and performance because of the extent to which they modify the OS. It just so happens that pretty much all tweaking apps, specifically ones that add widgets or extra functionality in the OS, use one or both of these.

Jailbreaking does reduce battery life but not by much. Just be sensible. A few mods here and there might take off half an hour of usage at the most. More intense themes with Winterboard can take an hour off plus. That's just the price you have to pay.

Also, don't be an idiot when going to Apple stores to repair your device. Here's the thing:

Even if you break your screen, you still can plug it in and do a restore via iTunes. If it's so damaged that it won't ever turn on, not even with DFU mode, then they sure as hell can't access it at the Apple Store either and will not be able to ever know the phone's contents. Saying, "oh I felt bad and told them" is so hilariously silly I don't even...

viewfly
Sep 23, 2012, 03:10 AM
Hmmm, having a clock, weather and stock display seems pretty boring to me. I use the phone and don't stare at the home page much.

But I get where you are coming from though. However I wouldn't jailbreak to get that. A small group of indie developers aren't going to support you much compared to Apple.

TheMacBookPro
Sep 23, 2012, 03:12 AM
Good choice. Galaxy S3 is a crappy phone with poor build quality and buggy software to boot.

Using a knockoff Sumsang Guluxy S III is not the same as using a Samsung Galaxy S III.

Idarrin96
Sep 23, 2012, 09:01 AM
Can someone please tell me how do you feel about the widgets

KPOM
Sep 23, 2012, 09:47 AM

Before I purchased my 4S last year I used a Nexus One for nearly 2 years. I used to use weather and world clock widgets the most (as I sometimes had to schedule calls with Asia). It's nice, but not having them isn't a deal breaker for me. The most useful feature was the turn-by-turn navigation, which iOS now has built in (Maps issues notwithstanding).

The dashboard was also nice, as it allowed enabling or disabling Wi-Fi, BlueTooth, and Cellular with a single tap. It wouldn't surprise me at some point to see these incorporated into iOS, although with the emphasis on design and utility patents in the industry, it might not occur until there is some sort of "truce" between Google and Apple.

sulpfiction
Sep 23, 2012, 10:21 AM
The thing is I love iOS dearly I was just tired of looking at the same icons year after year so anything that made it look different would have made me happy if it only had 2 widgets on the home screen like weather widget and stock widget that are in the notification center I would have stayed dashboard x was just the icing on the cake

Are u a stock broker? Or do u have a lot of money tied up in the market? If not, why the heck would u care about having a stock ticker widget on the home screen??

Idarrin96
Sep 23, 2012, 11:55 AM
Are u a stock broker? Or do u have a lot of money tied up in the market? If not, why the heck would u care about having a stock ticker widget on the home screen??

I just used the stock widget as an example I'm basically just saying I want something on my home screen other than square icons. And with that baing said I'm jail breaking

Mrg02d
Sep 23, 2012, 09:42 PM
Jailbreaking sucks. Sure, change the color of your crappy keyboard.:rolleyes:

I jail broke my 4s, saw how limited it STILL was, then took it back for the gs3.

Southernboyj
Sep 23, 2012, 10:13 PM

Widgets are awesome. They run better on a phone that natively supports them though.

Dontazemebro
Sep 24, 2012, 12:54 PM
Hmmm, having a clock, weather and stock display seems pretty boring to me. I use the phone and don't stare at the home page much.

But I get where you are coming from though. However I wouldn't jailbreak to get that. A small group of indie developers aren't going to support you much compared to Apple.

If you've never had it before, you would probably never know its importance.

Although I'm fairly sure that when Apple introduces widgets in the next 3-4 years, you'll be right on board with the rest of the other wagon hopping sheep.

sneaky butcher
Sep 24, 2012, 01:38 PM

dude, practically every app you can get on android that could use a widget has one. How many widgets does a jail broken iphone get?

when i download an app on android and it doesn't have a widget im a bit disappointed. But that's very rare these days :)

lavrishevo
Sep 24, 2012, 02:06 PM
All my iPhones have been jailbroken (even the first generation) and I honestly could not imagine using them without it. The main benefits were facetime over 3G, tethering, and a few other tweeks. Winterboard and themeing in general, I found, introduced a lot more instability and can cause the springboard to crash and go into safemode. Widgets also will naturally drain the battery faster as they are running in the background. You just need to be careful about what you install. Widgets on an iPhone are really meant to work on the lock screen. It is possible to have them on main screens but you just have to do so many tweeks in order to prevent the widget from covering up icons; it becomes a real hassle. Also, a lot of the widgets need to be updated manually. Such as weather widgets need to be programmed where you are. They do not integrate with GPS. You will also find the selection of widgets are extremely limited.

In general, jailbreaking will improve functionality and make the iOS experience better but themeing on iOS is nothing like Android. The learning curve is large and functionality is not nearly as polished. Out of all the mod's theming WILL drain the battery the most. I decided themeing was just not worth it on iOS and my main jailbroken apps were MyWi for tethering, My 3G to prevent the wifi only limitations, Fakeclockup to speed up animations, Sbsettings for easy on/off functions, and a few other ones here and there. Besides that there is not much else that jailbreaking is good for.

I gave my 4S to my father and I am using the S3 now. Sure, there are some things I miss about my iPhone but not enough for me to return to iOS at this point. I have a jailbroken iPad 2 that I enjoy and the S3 is a great phone. I think when JB is released it will be even nicer with Google Now. The iPhone 5 is a great phone but when it comes to customizations and widgets iOS, even jailbroken, does not hold water to the Android OS.

Mrg02d
Sep 24, 2012, 02:16 PM
All my iPhones have been jailbroken (even the first generation) and I honestly could not imagine using them without it. The main benefits were facetime over 3G, tethering, and a few other tweeks. Winterboard and themeing in general, I found, introduced a lot more instability and can cause the springboard to crash and go into safemode. Widgets also will naturally drain the battery faster as they are running in the background. You just need to be careful about what you install. Widgets on an iPhone are really meant to work on the lock screen. It is possible to have them on main screens but you just have to do so many tweeks in order to prevent the widget from covering up icons; it becomes a real hassle. Also, a lot of the widgets need to be updated manually. Such as weather widgets.

In general, jailbreaking will improve functionality and make the iOS experience better but themeing on iOS is nothing like Android. The learning curve is large and functionality is not nearly as polished. Out of all the mod's theming WILL drain the battery the most. I decided themeing was just not worth it on iOS and my main apps were MyWi for tethering, My 3G to prevent the wifi only limitations, fakeclockup to speed up animations, sbsettings for easy on/off functions, and a few other ones here and there.

This is exactly why I took the 4s back. I really truly wanted to like it. It looks so nice and felt so nice! It worked great too, but BOY did it lose its appeal fast. I promised myself id wait, jailbreak, and see how close I could get it to look like android...After I saw how basic jailbreaking was compared to rooting, I sadly traded for the gs3. Man alive do I wish the iphone could be different! The build quality is ART! The substance (iOS) though, is trivial. Im far too complex to be happy with so little.

If only android would start making premium stuff to go with premium android! They would dominate APPLE. :eek:

scottw324
Sep 25, 2012, 04:43 AM

And android users flash new roms and root their devices why? To do something that it doesn't do natively. So essentially the same thing.

annk
Sep 25, 2012, 07:16 AM
Just a reminder - the OP is specifically asking how people like widgets. ;)