Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xenious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
Texas, USA
Has anyone with a rev a 1.8 G5 imac had early drive failure problems? I purchased this iMac for my wife back in february. About 2 and a half months later the 250gig drive failed. It was replaced. Now another 2 and a half months later it has failed again. It is waiting on repair at the apple store, but the expected service is replacing the hard drive.

I realize quality may not be what it was in drive technology, but before this I've only lost 1 hard drive in my entire career. I'm guessing it could be power issues causing early drive deaths, but the machine has no other symptoms.

The first drive failure was after it had been turned off for a week while we were away. The second drive failure was after it locked up. On the reboot both times it came up with the folder/question mark icon unable to find the OS.

This system is on APC UPS power.

Any thoughts? Anyone else had drive issues?

micvog

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2003
Xenious said:
Has anyone with a rev a 1.8 G5 imac had early drive failure problems? I purchased this iMac for my wife back in february. About 2 and a half months later the 250gig drive failed. It was replaced. Now another 2 and a half months later it has failed again. It is waiting on repair at the apple store, but the expected service is replacing the hard drive.

I realize quality may not be what it was in drive technology, but before this I've only lost 1 hard drive in my entire career. I'm guessing it could be power issues causing early drive deaths, but the machine has no other symptoms.

The first drive failure was after it had been turned off for a week while we were away. The second drive failure was after it locked up. On the reboot both times it came up with the folder/question mark icon unable to find the OS.

This system is on APC UPS power.

Any thoughts? Anyone else had drive issues?

If it's the Seagate drive, it is a known problem with the drive itself and not the iMac. I just bought an external hard drive (ended up getting the Seagate 200GB) but in my research I discovered that the Seagate 250GB and 300GB hard drives are failing like crazy.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
My hard drive failed last weekend. I am awaiting shipment of a new one to install it.
While waiting my logic board has gone bad.....no video whatsoever....so since they have already shipped me a new hard drive I have to wait for it to install it so that I can ship the defective one back (so they do not charge me $500+ for that hard drive).........then I get to take the iMac G5 into a service provider and wait longer for them to fix it.
This is a Rev A 17" 1.8GHz iMac G5 1.5GB RAM 250GB HD Bluetooth

Xenious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
Texas, USA
Not sure on the brand of the drive. I will note what kind they replace it with when I get the iMac back. Interesting that the seagates have been failing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.