PDA

View Full Version : PowerMac G5 Quad Air-cooled?

ihuman:D
Sep 23, 2012, 01:48 PM
Would it be possible to take out the LCS in the quad G5 and replace it with an air cooling system?

Intell
Sep 23, 2012, 01:50 PM
I believe a few people have done it. However, you'd have to watch the temperatures closely. They may climb quickly and it could overheat easily.

Sep 23, 2012, 01:51 PM
I believe a few people have done it. However, you'd have to watch the temperatures closely. They may climb quickly and it could overheat easily.

Thanks!

Zeke D
Sep 23, 2012, 01:56 PM
Thanks!

And make sure the air cooles heat sinks you are using are copper and not nickel.

Sep 23, 2012, 02:00 PM
And make sure the air cooles heat sinks you are using are copper and not nickel.

I don't have a PowerMac, it was just an idea that popped into my head :D .

G51989
Sep 23, 2012, 02:47 PM
You could, but I wouldn't recommend it.

The hottest running PC processors I can remember personally where the Intel Pentium D's, and even those don't make anything like the heat the G5s did.

666sheep
Sep 23, 2012, 02:59 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=974595

Forum search function is bliss :p

jbarley
Sep 23, 2012, 05:29 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=974595

Forum search function is bliss :p
When it works...:(

GermanyChris
Sep 24, 2012, 01:15 AM
When the LCS goes on my quad I'll most likely use two H80's

orestes1984
Sep 24, 2012, 06:04 AM
This, I'd be looking at replacing it with a newer PC parts equivalent water cooling setup. I'm sure with a little bit of fabrication you could keep the standard cooling blocks and it would just be a case of rerouting the piping and radiators.

I'm not sure why more Quad owners haven't done this already with the age of the cooling units in their Macs.

nforce4max
Oct 14, 2012, 04:46 PM
Sorry for thread necro but somewhere on the net there is a handy guide how to rebuild the LCS. The stock coolant is a polypropylene glycol solution and being a pc guy for years we know how that stuff tends to eat through whatever it can. For the LCS the coolant loves to attack the rubber seals that join the copper blocks to the LCS base. Once that goes and comes into contact with other metals causing a slow reaction (dissimilar metals) which is why everything pc grade is all copper or nickle plated with no aluminum in contact with the coolant. Replace the rubber seals then flush the whole loop out then use different type of coolant. Will have similar thermal performance but the risk of future leaks will be drastically less.

For modding dealing with 200w+ worth of heat is no easy task :s