PDA

View Full Version : mac mini in my vehicle?

krossfyter
Aug 22, 2005, 12:46 PM
im thinking about this as my next "big" mod in my mr2 spyder.

first i will look into getting a touch screen and hook it up to a playstation or cheap dvd from the pawn shop.... just to get the thing running... then ill purchase the mini later to finish the install.

im checking out macvroom... cool stuff.

how much do you think it will cost me to get this whole deal setup/installed at a local install shop? would a regular custom install shop (does audio/subs/enclosures/screens etc. for cars) be able to hook my ride up with a puter?

i guess i will be going down there and asking for a bid... without the cost of the mac mini of course.

what do you all think?

i just want to be able to have visuals rolling while im rolling.... total bling.
i currently have the alpine to ipod converter to ipod setup in my ride with a 10 inch alpine sub.

how can i intergrate the mac mini/touch screen/ipod etc. if i can?

Mr LuLu
Aug 22, 2005, 12:53 PM
I too have given this thought though I hadn't considered the touch screen. Could that really work? It'd be ace in my Mini Cooper! (Rover)

I cant imagine the install would be too dificult at all. A power invertor and suitable mounting points should be all that's needed.

What arre the audio-outs like on the Mac mini, could you hook those up to an amp and use it as a media system?

This could be very cool if soomebody manages to pull it off! :cool:

krossfyter
Aug 22, 2005, 12:56 PM
have you looked into macvroom.com?

got a number of mac mini install pics there. they use different touchscreens. not too sure about getting an amp hooked up to the mini.

its a kick ass mod in my opinion. perfect for me.

alpine/mr2 spyder/apple

yeh but look into macrvoom if you havent already.

doucy2
Aug 22, 2005, 12:57 PM
didn't pimp my rid have an episode were they had a mini in someones car
i thought i saw one there once

puckhead193
Aug 22, 2005, 12:59 PM
this looks like a job for West coast customs. ;) :rolleyes:
"You've got to pimp my ride...."

wrxguy
Aug 22, 2005, 01:02 PM
I have seen Mac Mini's put in Mini coopers before, it is in last months "Mac World" The audio outs are the same as on any computer its the little headphone jack, you can get adapters to hook that up to your cars stereo system. As far as using a touchscreen I have no idea if that will work, so aside from that this, Pretty much what you need to get this job done is this:

Mac mini
any size LCD screen that will fit in your car
wireless keyboard and mouse
power inverter
Headphone jack to rca adapter
RCA splitter adapter (one red and one white to 2 red and 2 white's)

pretty much that would be it...I havne't done this mod before but I have deffinitly thought about it!!! The Macmini's would fit perfectly in the DIN size stereo slot!

krossfyter
Aug 22, 2005, 01:07 PM
touchscreen (http://www.lilliputweb.net/619GL-70NPXG.html)

another one (http://www.xenarc.com/product/700ts.html)

these apprently work with the mini. just two of the most popular.

Mr LuLu
Aug 22, 2005, 01:19 PM
Just checked out Macvroom and it looks like a kick ass idea!

There's an app in production called iDash which looks like it could solve a lot of the interface problems and several touch screen machines are recommended already (and I didn't realise just how cheap they are!!! :eek: )

I think this is a great excuse for me to get a mini, the missus has been saying no for months now! :D

krossfyter
Aug 22, 2005, 01:23 PM
lol

yeah i hear you on the excuse to get a mini.

i was already contemplating getting a new mac anyways. this could serve two functions.

external harddrive/another puter you know and blinging out my ride which i was already considering getting an lcd screen setup with dvd player to run visuals.

the touchscreens are cheap.... i was shocked too.

just curious about the cost of the install to get it all running.

puckhead193
Aug 22, 2005, 01:31 PM
i like this one http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/19.html
dam i would love to push a mini in my ES 330 but use my navi screen instead of getting one.... :D

krossfyter
Aug 22, 2005, 01:34 PM
thnx puckhead193.... that is saweet. im looking at that dudes site now.

wow!

Mr LuLu
Aug 22, 2005, 01:44 PM
If you wanted a kick ass audio set up in your car you'd be looking upwards of a grand anyway so what better way to spend a few quid?

I really think that the install would be easy enough to attempt on your own. Failing that I'd call any decend car audio installer and ask for a quote based on your ideas. They'd give you a good idea.

I think that if you're gonna do this mod then it'll need to be in the next six months because pretty soon everybody will be doing it! :D

krossfyter
Aug 22, 2005, 01:47 PM
I think that if you're gonna do this mod then it'll need to be in the next six months because pretty soon everybody will be doing it! :D

true. for some reason im feeling this too. this is going to be a hot trend... its starting to catch. i do need to hit it asap.