Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
yeah, lots of apple execs had interesting careers afterwards... i saw this the other day, Sculley is a hard-line businessman, always has been (hard-line not necessarily meaning good) so it's not surprising. Fortunately, a tool such as this would have limited application, because employers would screen themselves right out of a potential employee pool. If the thing was used to, say, screen daycare workers I wouldn't argue too much... but for your average joe job, you have to expect a wide segment of the population to have made mistakes...

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
iGary said:
One of the nice benefits of working for one's self. ;)
Unless your customers start doing background checks and confuse you with a different Gary. One who's a criminal. Unless you already are, and that's what you meant by "working for one's self". In which case, you probably don't have to worry about it. ;)

RandomDeadHead

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2003
fennario
Yes, I find this apalling. Just one more way that we are loosing our privacy. As solvs mentioned, this opens to door to all kinds of misuse, and fraud. But thats not the real issue, our privacy is. Each time they implement something like this, it gets easer for them to dig deeper the next time. Insted of stealing all of our freedom and privacy rights all at one time, they just etch away at them, little by little.
By saying, "just don't break the law", shows a true misunderstanding of how america works. Mistakes happen all the time in the court system, and identity theft is rampant. How would you like to loose your job of twenty years because someone stole your wallet.
This is almost as bad as drug testing, but like drug tests, people will probably figure a way around this, and good people will be fired/denied employment because of others mistakes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.