Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Where are you getting this?

All I see is that it will support OpenGL...but that's nothing new..

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
I just printed the PDF and I am about to read it.
--
I read it and I am not that excited. It doesn't sound like that
great of a card. I think that we should see better things coming
from ATI. Nvidea is falling behind, and this won't save them.

Computer_Phreak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2002
great of a card. I think that we should see better things coming
from ATI. Nvidea is falling behind, and this won't save them.

nVidia is now the largest video chip maker in the world... they have always typically been ahead of ATI

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
i know, but they are behind at the moment and I don't think that
this will save them. That is all I am saying.

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
Originally posted by scem0
i know, but they are behind at the moment and I don't think that
this will save them. That is all I am saying.

What the hell are you talking about.

The Radeon 9700 is only great under directx, and even then isn't kicking nividia ass. A Ti4600 is still the card to have.

Bradcoe

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2002
Northeast U.S.
excuse me but...

a) you don't know what you're talking about. b) you're all stupid c) repeat a-b

ATI 9700 PRO is the Fastest video card on the market as of now. Period. It's based on the RV300 GPU. The 9500 and 9000 are below it. The 9500 is based on the RV300 and the 9000 is based on the RV250, the successor to the 8500 which was based on the RV200.

Go to http://www.anandtech.com or http://www.arstechnica.com and you can read up on the GPUs. The new NV30 GPU from Nvidia is called the GeForce FX card.

Currently you can purchase an ATI 9700 PRO but you can NOT purchase the GeForce FX until Feb 2003.

For those that like numbers: DOOM 3 FPS tests. GeForceTi4600 got 18.9fps. GeFroce FX got 49fps. The 9700 is inbetween, but no numbers given.

So if you want a video card now, the 9700 is the best thing you can buy. It smokes all competition and has been doing so for months.
However, If you want to wait until the GeForce FX is out AND pay about 100-200 more clams, the GeForce FX will then be the leader and it will smoke everything before it.

Of course, at that rate, you might as well wait a few more months for something faster, and oh wait, in just a few months after that something even faster will be out and, oops, well you waited too long and the world blew up. sorry.

totally_fly

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2002
lol

I wanna buy a card .. i have a 733 and a geforce 2 mx.. which card will give me the biggest boost!!! this new GeForce FX ??? to me it sounds pretty cool and I think it will last me long enough, mine is sooo old...

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Originally posted by springscansing

Shut up scem0.

Talk about mature comments... If you want to argue about
something, then PM me, but keep posts like that out of here.

What the hell are you talking about.

The Radeon 9700 is only great under directx, and even then isn't kicking nividia ass. A Ti4600 is still the card to have.

Well everyone is entitled to their own opinions despite numerous
benchmarks proving them wrong....

lol

I wanna buy a card .. i have a 733 and a geforce 2 mx.. which card will give me the biggest boost!!! this new GeForce FX ??? to me it sounds pretty cool and I think it will last me long enough, mine is sooo old...

As of now, the Radeon 9700 pro. Come febuary, no one knows.

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
Originally posted by springscansing

Shut up scem0.

Good call. While on the subject, his avatar has to be the most annoying ever on MacRumors.com. :eek:

On to the video cards. This new card is really quite nice. Of the currently shipping cards, I would go with the Radeon 9700, though. It works very smoothly on my friend's Dell. My roomate has the Ti4600 and it makes Unreal 2003 silky smooth at even the highest resolutions, but just not like the Radeon.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by totally_fly

Depends. If you plan to later upgrade your machine (ie in the next year or so) then get an ati 9700 or GF4ti4600. If not get a slightly lower card like a GF4mx or ati 9000 pro as i dont think your cpu + architecture will allow you to max out those higher perfromance cards.

My reason is, if you buy a great card now, in a year you can purchase a pmac, and lower the vid card to save a few bucks, then swap them over.

This is a good way to go and i did it on my old pc. the difference in price to get the higher vid card was less than the difference in dgrading the vid card in the new pc.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Originally posted by scem0
great of a card.

I'm not going to flame you, but what are you talking about!?! This card seriously smoke (literally, check out the heatsink/fan). Have you seen the pictures of Dawn (check out http://www.xlr8yourmac.com for more info)? She was created with one these things. 500 MHz DDR2!!!

Speaking of which, where is the Radeon 9700 Pro for Macs?

Anybody...

bertinman

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
Davis, CA
hrm, what about the idea of anti-aliasing?

Those demos are nice, but some of those artifacts, wierd white lines (time machine), and blockiness could have been fixed for such a top end demo.

just a thought

- bert :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.