Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will0827

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
With the release of the iphone 5 and xcode 4.5 i plan on restarting work on a app i started work on several months ago. I took a iOS programming class earlier in the year and prior to the class i was reading stephen kochans book on objective-c and watched many tutorials on objective-c. I plan on staying within the iOS ecosystem and wanted to know what other things along side objective-c would be good to learn that will be beneficial to my iOS and possibly mac OS app making ventures. Thanks in advanced for the help.

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
You probably already know this, but ObjC is only the language used in iOS dev. The APIs are HUGE. I'd start digging into the APIs.

Graphics is also a big part of development, even for non-game apps. Might be worth looking into.

Will0827

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Thanks for the replies, would it be safe to just focus most of the attention atleast coding wise into just objective - c ? Reason i ask is because the teacher taught us about json and got lightly into xml, i am aware that apple has added its own json parser into xcode but we werent taught to use it. Graphics are something i want to eventually venture, as of now im reading articles and getting a hang of how to go about incorporating photoshop and make preliminary icons and layouts and practice designs.

SteppingStone

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2012
It depends what you want to do. If you need to interact with web sites, for example, you may need to learn about XML and JSON. On the other hand, you can generally interact with Facebook, Dropbox, etc. through an Objective-C interface.

Basically I'd stick to Objective-C for now and learn the rest when you need it. Learning XML will be pretty straightforward compared to learning Objective-C.

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
You should understand that this whole thing is an on going process. The lang ObjC has and will change over time (usually not that much, but it will change a bit) IE: the compiler has changed a few things concerning syntax.

The APIs, compiler, iOS... will continue to change. IE: Ref Counting is now automatic... These areas are something that you likely need to keep up on.

Once you know ObjC, I'd focus the effort on the APIs/OS that apply to what you want to do.

Example: you can spend a huge amount of time just on video stuff (filters, Aug Reality, etc...) so you really need to figure out which direction you want to go because there is a LOT to grab onto.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
I use gimp quite a bit to do my design. I know my design is not the best but it gets me by and it was not too much of a time investment.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Learn C.

A lot of iOS APIs needed for the most advanced numerics, graphics and audio are based on plain C and C data types.

If the "venture" side is as important to you as the programming side, then spend a significant amount of time studying marketing strategy and techniques. Maybe half or more.

Duncan C

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Northern Virginia
You probably already know this, but ObjC is only the language used in iOS dev. The APIs are HUGE. I'd start digging into the APIs.

Graphics is also a big part of development, even for non-game apps. Might be worth looking into.

I agree with KarlJay. Objective C is not that complex a language. The Cocoa Touch frameworks, however, are very rich and complex, and take a while to get comfortable with.

I think they are too big for any one person to know everything about them, even. You need to learn the core frameworks, and learn how to use the documentation to find things as you need them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.