Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diablin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
My mac mini, (late 2006 1.6 ghz intel core duo, 1gb ram Model: MA206LL/A ) doesnt have a working disk drive, i recently bought it off craigslist to play around with bootcamp, everything seems to work fine except the disk drive, which is extremely frustrating, because I can't really seem to understand whats going on. (when it tells me to insert the disk, it just spits it out after I insert it) I don't know a whole lot about macs, but could somebody explain why my mac mini seems to be able to read/write CD-R but just spits out any DVD-R (also tried with a dvd movie to confirm it was DVD disks having the problem)? I was really looking forward to using bootcamp, but i guess I'm going to have to mess with the hardware a bit. I'm currently burning windows XP onto a CD-R to see if it will work, The snow leopard install disk worked just fine when i re-installed the OS (hoping this would solve the problem) Does anybody know if it'd be possible to use bootcamp with an external dvd drive? or should I look into replacing the superdrive? and, any idea on how much it might cost, (for the drive, and where I can buy the right one)?

update: tried 3 instillations of xp, 2 burned to CD-R, 1 burned to DVD-R
one burned by the mac mini on to cd-r, and the other two burned by my home PC (the cd&dvd). mac mini could not verify the burned ISO when burned,
when inserted, bootcamp could not find the install disk, and the CD-Rs were both recognized as blank media, and the xp burned to the DVD was ejected.

any advice on external dvd drives, or cost of replacement for a superdrive would be really appreciated right now...

TL;DR - if I want to use bootcamp, would an external dvd drive work to install windows FROM? or would I need to replace the internal drive?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.