Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2011
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good car mount for my iPhone 5? The turn by turn directions were phenomenal and exponentially better than what my old Garmin gives us. Problem is I don't have a mount for it.

Anyone have any recommendations as to which one to use? What type to go with?

scgf

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
Market Harborough, UK
Yes. I bought the Oso Universal Car Spacemount when I had an iPhone 4S, knowing I would be getting the 5 when it launched. This mount takes almost any phone, and the sucker will even attach to a dashboard which is not completely smooth.

The joint is a little loose, but I haven't found it a problem. Bought mine from Amazon in the UK - link here

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Proclip is the only mount I used (out of 3 tried) that actually did what it should have; stayed in place. Check them out.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I have this one for my truck/iPhone 4S. It would work for a 5 as well since there is no "roof" on it. I've had it for a few years since the 3GS I had.

Kensington Dash Car Mount for iPhone and iPod

iphone-car-mount.JPG

But doing a search on Amazon, it looks like there are a lot of quality choices available now.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
Proclip is the only mount I used (out of 3 tried) that actually did what it should have; stayed in place. Check them out.

Do you still use a Pro clip? I'm tempted to get one, though my car does have a recessed place where the phone stays even in "spirited" driving. :)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Do you still use a Pro clip? I'm tempted to get one, though my car does have a recessed place where the phone stays even in "spirited" driving. :)

Not any longer, I had one for my ford ranger but my truck now is set up so my ipod is in the glove box. I don't use my iPhone for anything really in the car unless I want some new music to listen to. I have a nav built in.

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2011
Thanks guys. I think I'm gonna go with proclip once tehy release the iphone 5 models.

Do you know if they're all hard plastic on the grips or do they have different softer textures that won't scratch teh sides of the device? That's my only real concern.

NM answered my own question. I did a search of tehir iphone 4 versions and noticed that they offer padded mounts.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Thanks guys. I think I'm gonna go with proclip once tehy release the iphone 5 models.

Do you know if they're all hard plastic on the grips or do they have different softer textures that won't scratch teh sides of the device? That's my only real concern.

Actually, they look like there is no padding but I bought one that accommodated a case. It looks like they have that now for the iP5. I would add padding anyway. Thin foam is cheap and easy to find.

DaveWonders

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006

NM answered my own question. I did a search of tehir iphone 4 versions and noticed that they offer padded mounts.

I bought one for the iPhone 4 with bumper about 2 years ago. The part the phone slides into has some sort of felt covering. It's very hard, but the felt doesn't mar the finish of the bumper at all. It's held up after 2 years of being placed in and out at least 10 times a week.

That being said, I'm not sure what the mount for the 5 looks like.

alanrocks

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2011
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good car mount for my iPhone 5? The turn by turn directions were phenomenal and exponentially better than what my old Garmin gives us. Problem is I don't have a mount for it.

Anyone have any recommendations as to which one to use? What type to go with?

I have used the breffo spiderpodium for a year or so now and it is by far the best car mount I have used. It's really flexible, works with my iPhone 5S and my Garmin GPS unit!

attachment.php

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.