PDA

View Full Version : Dual Disc... worth it?

Demon Hunter
Aug 23, 2005, 12:44 AM
If you haven't heard about Dual Disc (http://www.dualdisc.com/faq.html), it's being hailed as an attempt to bring retail music sales back into the fold, and a replacement for the Compact Disc, or maybe neither.

What do you guys think? Is buying "dual disc" music worth it? It boasts 5.1 surround sound, 2-channel stereo... most importantly, will I notice the difference on my iPod?

Phat_Pat
Aug 23, 2005, 12:59 AM
Neat idea... but are you really going to watch concert videos..... :confused:

furryrabidbunny
Aug 23, 2005, 01:04 AM
it is only worth it if they are not horribly priced over a normal cd. I have a large collection, and it contains a single dual disc, the new nine inch nails album, with teeh. It was only 11 when it was released. I watched the video on it once, and listened to it in 5.1 once. It wont make a difference on an ipod untill you can encode in 5.1 in itunes, and when you have five ears :p The main advantage may be for windows users. The dual disc versions of albums with copy protection do not have it, meaning itunes without hassle

briansolomon
Aug 23, 2005, 01:09 AM
Dual Disc is not a replacement for standard CDs. It's just another version. Like getting a DVD in the jewel case with the CD. The thing that sucks though is that Dual Discs are only made by Sony owned or affiliated record labels. Sounds a lot like CD Text...I love CD Text. I wish more labels would pick it up. It's so convenient when you're playing a new CD and don't have the track list handy.

I would like to see things move along with SACD and DVD-A. Go SACD!

DeSnousa
Aug 23, 2005, 01:13 AM
Neat idea... but are you really going to watch concert videos..... :confused:

I love concert disks, having the cd included is a bonus when your listening to you iPod or nor in the mod to watch but listen. Could take off because i love buying concerts but i then hate having to fork out for the cd.

Whotheheck
Aug 23, 2005, 01:21 AM
I hate dual-discs! They don't work with a lot of players, including my mac mini! :mad:

DeSnousa
Aug 23, 2005, 01:23 AM
I hate dual-discs! They don't work with a lot of players, including my mac mini! :mad:

If thats true i take back what i said in the above post, i rather fork at more money for something that works.

bartelby
Aug 23, 2005, 02:40 AM
The NIN Dual-Disc made nasty scraping noises in my Musical Fidelity CD player.
The discs are a fair bit thicker than CDs so I guess that was the cause

jdechko
Aug 25, 2005, 09:31 AM
I recently purchased a dual-disc. I picked it up and because it was the only copy I ended up buying it. My thing is that I dont want it to scratch, so I made a copy of the disc to listen to in my car and I keep the original disc at home. It was 13.99... a reasonable price in my opinion.

I would say that if the DD is close to the price of just the CD, then it is a pretty good deal.

yg17
Aug 25, 2005, 12:56 PM
Ive got a couple dualdiscs (NIN and Mudvayne are the 2 that I can think of) and they play fine in my car CD player and PowerMac. They're usually only a couple bucks more and worth it for the videos

JeDiBoYTJ
Aug 25, 2005, 01:38 PM
from my experience, I dont think Dual Discs are copy protected either. My Mom bought the new Backstreet Boys CD, and I was easily able to copy it to her PC with iTunes. From what I understand, they put copy protection on the regular version of the CD.

baleensavage
Aug 25, 2005, 02:08 PM
The music industry has been trying to get better CD technology out there for a few years now. The problem is most people don't want to rebuy all their music again, so the Superdisk and DVD audio disks haven't caught on. Their solution was to come up with a hybrid format that does both.

On the whole the move to new CD technology is a very good thing for music. CDs are very outdated. Your run of the mill cheap DVD has better sound than a CD. However, the problems with dual disks not working in slot loading players because they are thicker than regular CDs is unacceptable.

In terms of whether the Dual Disk CDs are better, most times they aren't. It's like when they put all those old vinyl albums on CD. They simply sounded the same or worse becasue the albums were recorded for the vinyl and not CD. With the 5.1 mixes, if there is a good producer or if the artist gets involved like Trent Reznor with NIN, amazing things can happen in surround sound. It's like the leap from mono to stereo.

Warbrain
Aug 25, 2005, 06:01 PM
To me, DualDisc is worthless. It's another lame attempt by the record labels to try to make you buy music and not steal it. The only real way a record company can encourage me to buy a CD, and I know I'm not the only one like this, is to offer me the chance to listen to an MP3 from the CD. Having useless crap on a DVD that I will never watch won't make me buy it.

greatdevourer
Aug 25, 2005, 06:16 PM
Er... what's the point? You may as well just include a bonus DVD (like they do already)

Chip NoVaMac
Aug 25, 2005, 09:30 PM
I like the idea of the Dual Disc. It would be nice to buy a DVD of a movie (like Moulin Rouge or the upcoming Rent movie) and get the movie soundtrack on the CD side.

I would prefer to get the CD side for free, but would be willing to go as high as $5 over the DVD only cost.