PDA

View Full Version : Booted Cube, now what?

abouthillier
Sep 24, 2012, 06:29 PM
So yesterday I was having trouble booting my PowerMac G4 Cube with blank drive.

I found a Tiger install and burnt a disc on my MBP to boot the Cube. It boots fine but fails when looking for a destination to install. The drive is installed fine, but is not recognized. I tried installing it on my USB external Transcend drive to no avail.

Any options? I know you can reformat it with Disk Utility (not sure what it is formatted as now) but being an IDE drive, I don't know how.

California
Sep 24, 2012, 06:47 PM
So yesterday I was having trouble booting my PowerMac G4 Cube with blank drive.

I found a Tiger install and burnt a disc on my MBP to boot the Cube. It boots fine but fails when looking for a destination to install. The drive is installed fine, but is not recognized. I tried installing it on my USB external Transcend drive to no avail.

Any options? I know you can reformat it with Disk Utility (not sure what it is formatted as now) but being an IDE drive, I don't know how.

What kind of Tiger disc was it? If it was the grey install disc for another computer, you are out of luck. But it sounds like you formatted the blank disc incorrectly; try firewireing it into your MBP and go to disk utility and make sure you formatted your blank hard drive in the Cube as "apple partition map" NOT Guid. Guid is only for intel macs.

That's most likely the problem, the drive has not been formatted.

You may have to take it out and put it in an external case to format it through your MBP.

BTW, I just found my original Apple Hardware test CD for the Powermac Cube, it's yours for a couple of bucks plus shipping, I was going to post it in Marketplace

abouthillier
Sep 24, 2012, 07:07 PM
I have an old XP PC at work I can put the drive in, but it wont format for Mac. I also don't have a firewire cable, should I just buy one?

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I have a Raspberry Pi coming tomorrow, Anything I can do to use it to format the drive?

I know you can Netboot macs, can I use Disk Utility over a network to access the unformatted drive?

----------

Also, could I use a Knoppix or Ubuntu disc to run off the cube and format the drive from there?

Zeke D
Sep 24, 2012, 07:22 PM
I would recommend not discussing images you found online. I believe it is against the forum's TOS. Additionally, i would be wary of using anything found online, you can never tell what has been done to or added to the image.

macuser1232
Sep 24, 2012, 07:28 PM
Hm. I am thinking about trying to find a Panther disk online for my PowerMac G4. Any ideas on reliable websites? I can't seem to find any myself. Also right now I am getting the finder logo and question mark when I boot. I am aware that I am getting this because of no OS installed though.

abouthillier
Sep 24, 2012, 07:33 PM
So I found the Disk Utility when booting from the disc and formatted the internal drive with Mac OS X format and now it is checking the DVD install.

Macuser; I will tell you if you enable private messaging

Intell
Sep 24, 2012, 07:35 PM
Piracy is not allowed to be discussed on MacRumors.